February 6th, 2014
I love a good boutique inn and was delighted to see these images of a new one in my neck of the woods (kind of) called the Inn at Hastings Park in Lexington, MA. The decor is modern Americana reflecting the historical town, with each room decorated a bit differently. Take a peek at the cute rooms and details:
Like the look? Here’s how to get it!
1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5. // 6. // 7. // 8. // 9. // 10. // 11. (also avail. in grey) // 12. // 13. // 14.
(P.S. and the throw blanket I forgot to number…. seriously, I have counting issues).
*Inn photos by Michael J. Lee
February 5th, 2014
Obviously my blog has nothing to do with politics (unless it’s related to Scandal or House of Cards, of course) but when I saw the cute NYC apartment of Barbara Bush via Vogue.com I wanted to share. To me her place feels like a great example of a personal home. The items in her space all seem to have a story behind them- from a blanket found with her mom on an antiquing trip to a painting done of her cat by her former president father (which is kinda cute, right?) to African masks from her work on that continent. This is a wonderful example of a space reflecting your life story, and the best bonus? She shares this townhouse with two other friends, each with their very own take on personal decor- check out all three apartments in the article!
I am loving this giant cactus! It’s like a piece of sculpture and also reminds her of her home state of Texas.
I die over that mantle, original to the apartment. Also, let’s talk about how the grey violet wall color is kind of perfect for a modern yet feminine backdrop- for this look try Farrow & Ball’s Callaluna or Brassica! The cross was bought on a trip to Peru and the photographs are of her favorite artists bought in New Orleans.
Read the rest of this entry »
February 4th, 2014
Guess who put together this amazing booth at the Interior Design Show in Toronto?
You’ll never guess…
IKEA! I’m serious!
I had to look twice to believe my eyes (especially the kitchen and bath!) Pretty awesome display of what you can do when you mix lots of budget items with a few well placed higher end ones. Also, who doesn’t love a good Ikea hack?? Here are a collection of great ideas of how to dress up simple pieces from the big box store and make them into statements. I did a good one in my bedroom- but you’ll have to wait for the book to see (sorry!)
February 3rd, 2014
The founders of One Kings Lane have launched a new site for home decor fans called Hunter’s Alley, a site for buying and selling antique or second hand goods for the home. From a vintage chair to a current Jonathan Adler light fixture from someone’s home for less than retail, it’s going to quickly be a great resource for those trying to decorate their home with unique and interesting pieces or find a good score. All items listed are reviewed by the staff at Hunter’s Alley so no junk makes it on the site (unlike eBay and Craigslist). Here are some items I found that were cool, but search the site for something you may have been lusting after for your home or create a profile to sell some stuff you may have on hand!
Read the rest of this entry »
January 31st, 2014
(I can’t wait to be sitting right here)
Next weekend I leave for a full week away at Casa de Campo in the Dominican Republic. I’m a mixture of SO EXCITED and stressed out, as being a small business owner (and dog mom) makes leaving for that long really hard. But I am going to try to vacate my stress a little and enjoy 7 full days of sun and sea. Of course, I have not thought about what to pack at all until now (I see a marathon shopping trip in my future). Here are some things I’d love to take with me:
1. Adorably simple but modern earrings that go with anything.
2. Denim cut offs. Duh.
3. Gold and bling statement necklace to dress up everything and anything.
4. Love this modern neon simple dress. Also conceals poolside drink bloat. :)
5. A simple silk tee paired with white jeans in perfect for dinner out when paired with that statement necklace.
6. Killer wedges that mix black AND tan.
7. An adorable bikini.
8. The perfect black and white stripe tank maxi dress.
9. A bohemian print silk tee.
10. DREAM PURCHASE: Gold Valentino Rockstud flat sandals.
11. I really want a one-piece since I’m not feeling my best right now- this one is still sexy.
12. DREAM PURCHASE: This Tory Burch long embroidered dress. Die. Die. Die. (This one is more attainable).
13. Perfect long coin pendant from Julie Vos.
14. Love the retro/ Jackie O feel of these Chloe sunglasses!
15. Pretty coral embroidered blouse.
16. Perfect white jeans (I’ll pack a skinny pair too).