We are closing in on the end of the construction phase of our basement renovation with Lowes Home Improvement! It’s been awesome working with DM Painting and Carpentry on this- total pros with a can-do attitude, which I love (highly recommend these guys). We had some big projects- like the addition of our egress window which involved some insanely big saws to cut a big hole in the foundation- but when building code calls for it, you must answer! We’ve added new electrical, lighting, windows, plaster and today and in the next few days they will install the vinyl plank flooring, little “bar” area and paint the space!
Up next- furnishing it! Since this space will serve as a home office and a den/ playroom I wanted it to be fun, bright and cool but not juvenile. I decided on kind of an outdoorsy “theme” and tones of black, grey, white and emerald green. We’re on a budget for this project so we’ll be lots of things from IKEA and re-purposing furniture from other rooms.
1.I LOVE this abstract print from Etsy for over the sofa (sized to fit perfectly in an IKEA Ribba frame!)
2. I’d love to put a cute tent like this one down there for when the baby is older- but this may be an addition in a couple years.
3. Not sure I can pull the plug on this bright green sofa, but I saw it in the IKEA catalog and thought it was cool!!
5. Such a cute print on this IKEA rocking chair for an accent.
6. Simple black side tables from Target!
7. The plug in wall sconces for above the sofa.
8. I’m thinking about a pair of these flanking the TV console/ TV.
9. Moving this rug from our old guest room (now nursery) to the basement! I still LOVE it (even if the dogs have puked in it a couple times…)
10. TV console for under the wall mounted TV
11. Baskets for toys in the white storage units.
12. A clear lucite coffee table since the room is quite narrow- this will keep it from feeling crowded.
13. The existing desk we have from World Market (such a good buy!)
14. We have two DWR Sapien bookshelves that may go down here, these are a more affordable version.
15. A good looking filing unit with drawers for the desk.
17. The Pottery Barn chair from my office that looks great with the desk.
18. Wall color- HGTV by Sherwin Williams at Lowes in Modernist Gray
19. A simple desk lamp.
I’m so excited to have this as a real, usable, comfortable living space!