Color Theory: Olive Green’s Comeback

You know how they say nothing is new and everything comes back in style? Well, there’s a reason those are sayings. As of late I’ve been drawn to rooms with olivey green walls.  I used to hate this color on walls, or anything in the “sage” family (or “cranberry” for that matter) in a home. And now, I’m digging variations of this color. I’ve always liked green, but more of a crisp emerald, or a green with blue tones to it.  But olive/army/ sage looks AMAZING with brass or gold accents, leather, wood, marble,  animal prints and has a very historic, cozy quality to it.  Here are some inspired spaces using variations on the shade:

777a60263c540d756a6157469be61f47

51bb5b4dd9127e73510000dd._w.540_s.fit_

d134e79288916eb3d72a7c7321e5248c

aea372d1fe340110e92c5f803068529c

bb040a16af7ef96f8237dad9fe9a39ae

87735497f2d31c11a8c2f6a606a369f7

f77345af2354913a8565c6f5b23ce7fb

30a9956ab23920aca12b9c467ae38a8b

26c88cf7fd8c47cbdd2191c737c415c2

Here are some of my favorite color pairings with olive green:

olivegreen

*paint sample images from Pure Home.

Lots of people like plum and olive green together too, but as a child of the 80′s all I can think about when I hear “purple and green” are the years I had braces and always chose those colors for my bands. File that under #scarredforlife #isurvivedthe80s.

Braces week 15

28 Responses to “Color Theory: Olive Green’s Comeback”

1. Stephanie says:

Love that bathroom…

2. Jess says:

Love this color too and in fashion, I dig it with neon. I love that image of the kitchen with olive cabinets and chalkboard fridge!!

Ps. I completely forgot about colorful elastics on braces, I always did colors for holidays too – orange and black for Halloween, red and green for Christmas, I am cringing…

3. Sherry Hart says:

I have loved a deep olive green forever. It goes with everything similar to dark gray or navy. With the yellow tones…..you are right…it looks great with gold and brass!

4. Marche says:

I just found the perfect upholstered headboard on One King’s Lane in Olive velvet! It sold out and now I am trying to find another. I just love that color :)

5. Stacy says:

Could you provide color names and sources on the paint colors? Those pairings are wonderful -said from a former olive phobic!

6. Marie says:

About 12 years ago when shopping for our first home, my husband and I visited a house with a realtor. I loved the house from the outside but once we entered the house I could see that it clearly had some issues. As soon as we got to the kitchen, our realtor sucked in her breath and said “Never buy a house with avocado green or harvest gold appliances!” and then she made us leave. I have never forgotten that advice and your post reminded me of it. If olive green is in fashion, can harvest gold be far behind? To be followed by the country blue and dusty rose?

7. Christy Spearman says:

I remember the AD spread of Julianne Moore’s NYC brownstone a few years back – all purple, green, black, white, & gray, inside and out. I loved that!

8. Liza Miller says:

Oh man, I am SO with you on the green and purple!

Our living room is a sage green (courtesy of the former homeowners)and it seems dated to me, but I love your selection of pairings. That dark teal color is gorgeous!

9. Lindsey says:

I love that you included the color pairings! Such great inspiration!

10. Katie says:

I know this is a lame request, but will you be adding these images on Pinterest? I cannot get my ‘pin from website’ tool to work and would LOVE to add some of these pics!!

11. Melissa says:

Ahh that braces flashback! Just looking at that made my teeth hurt! I love all shades of green so olive never needed a comeback with me. Lovely!

12. Desiree says:

I am also diggin’ the olive color lately.. Even bought a Coach bag in that color.. Also love olive and navy :)

13. Meg says:

This is an awesome post–beautiful interior shots, good specific advice, and awesome paint pairings!
    Plus–green has always looked fab with leopard. . .

14. I have always loved olive green. I think it warms up an space. I really love those olive green Tolix bar stools!

15. Alexandra says:

I would never think of olive/army green as a stylish color, but between this post and a recent one by Little Green Notebook (I think?), I’ll happily eat my words.

Real talk though, the best part of this post is the braces comment. I totally went “teal and purple please” with my braces allll the time. God bless the 80′s/90′s and now our straight teeth.

16. Sarah says:

Perfect example is Jenny Komenda’s new bathroom…olive green amazingness!!

17. Heather E says:

great post!

18. Molly says:

I love the color combos from Pure Home, especially the top one. Which paint colors are they?

19. Shannon says:

I love it on the fireplace wall and on that vanity. Love the color pairings, too!

20. Carol H says:

Check out Jenny Komenda’s guest bathroom on her blog Little Green Notebook. Olive green loveliness!

21. Jessie M says:

The July/Aug. Elle Decor had a feature called “Heading South” with lots of these schemes, including an olive den and olive and mustard wallpaper in the entryway, a mustard-colored dining room, plus coral and peacock blue accents. Must be a new trend!

22. Christine says:

One of my favorite paint colors is Hampshire Grey from Benjamin Moore-a beautiful olive drab that I know I’ll have someday in my home.

23. Ruby says:

Another great post! I love the bar stools in the 2nd picture. Green is a nice complementary cuisine colour & the high gloss shine really makes the olive pop.

24. Nancy says:

Just moved and we are installing an olive green grasscloth wallpaper in our dining room (literally as I write this!). It looks fabulous with the white trim and all of our dark wood furniture. Now to consider what fabric will work on our dining room chairs…

25. This is so refreshing. I am really tired of all white everything. After having all white in my home for 20 years, we moved to a small apt…and I did some retro 70′s orange and drum roll………….. brown. It really takes some getting used to but I’m happy for your posting…thanks.

26. Jenny Post says:

You are so right about olive green with brass. We are renovating our house and putting some brass details in our bedroom; now I’m excited to add green!

And about those braces, I did orange and black (for Halloween of course) and it’s in my 5th grade pictures. It looks like my teeth are rotting out of my mouth. Hideous.

27. I used to dislike this color as well for walls but recently used Farrow and Ball’s Card Room Green in a house in Tuscany and it’s gorgeous.

I don’t think harvest gold appliances will make a comeback, ever.

28. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for the pairings of color! I love olive green but it’s nice to get another perspective of what color pair well with it!