Taking Another Look At Toile

I’ve been looking for slightly less expensive wallpapers for my laundry room ever since I calculated out the cost of using the Katie Ridder one I had previously posted about.  Recently we got a sample of a grey toile from the new Folie collection by Cole & Sons in a grey colorway and I fell in love! With toile! Me!?

99-15061

Versaille Toile by Cole & Sons

versailles-99-15060-15061-15062-15063

I’m going to re-use this Jonathan Adler Parker flushmount in brass we had in Andrew’s office (now our master bathroom) and I think the modern fixture paired with the traditional toile will look pretty rad and a little less Little Women.

It got me thinking about modern day toile and so I went on a search for some fabulous examples of how to make this pattern work in today’s interiors:

Mix it with animal hide and modern touches like this light fixture and bold, saturated headboard.

e14eb454982d9fea9ae350d2a7d2ed22

Combine it with graphic, geometrics for a refreshing mix.

9549c4b921414be71cd41c9ef8f38334

Choose to use the print but in a BOLD color. Also note the modern, contrasting floor.

fbef2dfbc02e7eb87093df10026327f9

335c17e44370590572d0e395a53fb44b9671d0c63c8a26b7dd63792bcb255e4c

LOVE this mix.

3d88196f53a297631b3f6dc9d8c4de2d

A perfect powder room paper in black and white!

f525e8363846a1828e0e4f63ccbb79f7

Again, mixing with geometrics, modern touches and a BAD ASS vintage gilt headboard make for a winning combo.

a2699b9474c5c355fe207eafe2448565

Look for something with a blown up scale for an unexpected twist!

e4461361e9fee7ef4bdb67cac70d876d

Love the classic, crisp blue and white in an entry. A gallery wall would look amazing running up the stairs!

39a8af3c0f77d4d555ef7514379b09fe

Use it as an accent in a nook amongst modern furniture.

6b065cb35325b4bb5cd9c7d3df5db550

Chinoiserie toile is even more modern and fun, especially done in this silhouetted style!

hbx-chinoiserie-toile-headboard-braff-0312-lgn

The dark walls really make this fabric pop. Also love it combined with that cowhide rug and crisp orange and white bedding.

Lyford_Print_Bedroom_Lauren_Guarcello

Love the shades, again, killer with the zebra cowhide.

3cba55a6826ae0151e394b349566b1f7

This is a risk, but I’d say it paid off!

quadrille paradise 2

Some toiles to check out (click images for links):

5004091T16022-3360

Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 6.42.20 AM

Spoonflower has a tone of toiles.

rgreen_preview

t36107-3360Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 6.50.14 AM

27 Responses to “Taking Another Look At Toile”

1. I’ll never forget that a childhood friend’s house had a room with walls covered in toile fabric. I thought that it was so unique to use toile fabric instead of wallpaper. Plus, their was a thin layer of padding behind the fabric. It was really cool to feel plush fabric on walls. It was in a little sitting room in their house and it was really charming.

2. Julie says:

I’m a huge fan of toile and think it will look absolutely fantastic in the laundry room!!

3. lola says:

fantastic post!

4. Leslie says:

This is funny to read right now as I’m about to rip down toile wallpaper from my powder room! Now you have me rethinking it…

5. Lily says:

I love toile and all kinds of chinoiserie! Trying to find a removable one, though, is even harder than finding an affordable one!!

x Lily

6. Jessica says:

In the future you might also want to consider Flavor Paper in Brooklyn.
    You can do CUSTOM toile! I often discuss the custom toile wallpaper I want to put in a bathroom we do not have yet!

7. Betsy says:

I love toile but I never had a good place to use it until my daughter was born. I’ve gotten a lot of sideways looks about the zebra print bench in her room – thanks for validating my choice to mix prints!

8. Patricia says:

Your laundry room is going to be prettier than the best room in my house. I’m also planning a re-do (can you say re-do about a space in a 1930s basement with a washer / dryer plopped in it, as it was never “done” to begin with). You’re looking at stunning wallpaper. I’m looking at pegboard and paint.

Color me impressed or at least embossed.

9. Beth says:

I love the toile….BUT I love the Katie Ridder more. You work so hard, think about how much you would appreciate the laundry room every time you go in there. I am partial to Ridder and have her coffee table book by my sofa! I think you may be spending a lot of time doing laundry in the coming years, dear Erin. Go for it!

10. Maura says:

If I find myself wearing toile pants again, I’m holding you personally responsible! Last time it was in vogue, my butt looked the size of Grammy’s settee – no bueno. Charming on walls though :)!

11. Ali says:

Who doesn’t love a little bit of toile? I had a light blue bed spread that I adored and got tons of compliments on. It was a nice classic staple with crisp white linens to go with it. We upgraded to a king sized bed or I totally would have kept it.

12. Karena says:

Erin I love toile and would love to do a bath in black and white! I have two toile pillows on my bed right now! Thank you for the fab pics!

xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

13. Kristine says:

Everyone needs a little toile in their life! Love it

14. alison g. says:

Perfect post timing: Just had my powder room papered in that Thibaut Luzon (orange and aqua) pattern today! *lurvin’ it*

15. deb says:

…love toile & little women! you’ll have a smashing laundry room!

16. Wow. I liked Toile patterns, but seeing these beautiful pictures just made me fall in love with them even more. Thank you for the great post. Can’t wait to see how your laundry room turns out.

17. Cori Lekites says:

Possibly your best post ever! Love everything!!

18. Allison D says:

Great post! Can’t wait to see your laundry room reveal. Any ideas on budget friendly versions of Farrow and Ball’s Ocelot?! Your post is timely, as I was just today at the store pricing rolls for our tiny tiny bathroom. Still too $$$, as we’re also re-doing kitchen. Statement wall in F&B Lotus too much?!

19. Janie Hagmann says:

Love this post! Thanks for all the respurces.

20. Awesome interior designing and interior furnishing!

21. lee jofa has reinterpreted toile with their Versailles Grand, coloring it. I loved it enough that I am ordering it to use in a new design project for a client. Although I love classic toile, I like the concept of coloring. Here’s a link to it- http://search.leejofa.com/Cole-and-Son/99-slash-16065.CS-788/CoverInformation.aspx . Thanks for the article. I just love toile,used sparingly and with a twist. Can’t wait to see the results in your room!

22. Am says:

Timorous Beasties has a modern London toile that I’m obsessed with! Can’t wait til I have a house of my own to use it in.

23. I LOVE this post! Such fresh uses of this traditional print. I think you can make either print look amazing! Go with your gut…or budget.

24. Maya N says:

Thank you for the correction,this is really nice and awesome. i have found some other home decor items form:http://www.vintagemaya.com/. thanks

25. Aiden says:

Those are some awesome wallpapers! They’d make really interesting looking photo backdrops, too.