The Greenbrier

I just got back last night from a little vacation to the historic Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia.  I’ve been once before, but even so, when I arrived I couldn’t help but declare “Instagram GOLD!” The amazing Dorothy Draper designed spaces are just so amazing and awesome you can’t help but pull out your phone for a few- or obscene amount- of snaps.  If you missed it over on Instagram here are a few pics from my trip:

The perfect coral walls (for a similar color try Benjamin Moore’s Bird of Paradise or All A Blaze- the same color in my office) and the herringbone floor just about did me in in this room.  The old paintings look so incredible against this bold color!

GB1

THOSE UMBRELLAS!!!

GB3

Drama everywhere in the form of bold florals, bright colors and black and white!

GB6

This chandelier (and ceiling) slay me- the detail work and the coral paint is just perfect with gold.

GB15

I love this room in the lobby bar area.  Only Dorothy can do hunter green and red without it looking like a Christmas nightmare.

photo 4-6

A little closer (that mirror….)

GB2

One of my favorite vignettes is in the lower lobby with this scenic wallpaper, the black and white floor and the railings.

GB11

A hit of palm fronds and stripes for ya outside Draper’s restaurant (there are like 8 different places to dine on the property!)

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 1.48.06 PM

Caught this sweet moment when Andrew and my niece Kate tried to shoo a confused cardinal out of the lobby bar. So sweet (and that chandelier!!!)  As a side note- this place is amazing for kids- pools, bowling, playground, horses, an ice cream shop….

GB5

Another shot of the lobby. DIE.

GB12

I fully expected Jason Schwartzman to pop up at the concierge desk.  Wes Anderson really should film a movie here.

GB16

There are ADORABLE cottages to rent in addition to the hotel rooms! Great for families.

photo 3-8

More incredible lighting.

photo 3-9

So good. SO GOOD.

GB7

Walking down towards the casino. I learned to play a little blackjack this trip… and won!

GB10

More of the lower shopping/dining/casino area chock full of pattern and color.

photo 5-6

The sulphur spring building… people used to come here to bathe in the springs.  I can only attest to the AMAZING massage I got at the spa! :)

photo 2-13

Lots of memorabilia about- I, of course, was drawn to the Dorothy Draper stuff.

GB8

Lady Draper really knew how to work it- this is equivalent to about 1.19 million today. I wouldn’t mind a job like that! :)

GB13

22 Responses to “The Greenbrier”

1. The mirrors in that place are beyond sick. Great set of photos, Erin. I eat this stuff up too.

2. Liz says:

Erin – am dying to go there also, but have been thwarted partially by how hard it is to get there from Boston (with 2 littles in tow…). Did you fly to DC and drive? Or drive the whole way?

3. Erin Gates says:

It’s a PAIN to get to- we flew to Charlotte and connected to Roanoke,Va- it’s an hour and a half drive from there. I’d probably suggest flying to DC or Pittsburgh and driving from there.

4. Brittany says:

So pretty! I love that even though that hotel was decorated decades ago it is still perfection!

5. Staci says:

Hi Erin! My husband and i are headed there on Thursday and I am so excited! Even more so after seeing this post. What were your favorite restaurants? We have resis at In Fusion Friday night. Also, what did you wear to dinners? I like any excuse to get dressed up and have a great new dress I want to wear. Thanks so much!

6. Erin Gates says:

Staci- I’d skip the main dining room for dinner. Try Prime 44, the italian place, and Drapers.
    Also, they take the dress code VERY seriously. No jeans (white jeans on ladies seems to be ok) and men have to have jackets.

7. Lindsey A. says:

Love this place and am dying to get there one day! A friend of mine works for the very wealthy family that bought this place a few years ago. Pretty incredible family and story.

8. smash says:

Thank you SO much for sharing all of these gorgeous pics. I enjoyed watching your Instagram this weekend…the greenbrier is definitely on my bucket list. xx

9. Gorgeous pics Erin!

Thanks so much for sharing them with us… I feel like I was there too!!

Jenna

10. Gabby says:

My husband worked here fresh out of college and as such, has PTSD about it and I will never be taken there! Alas! Looks so pretty!

11. Katie says:

Oh, I’m hoping to go there soon! Thank you for the lovely photos. I’ve been to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, MI, which was also decorated by Dorothy Draper, several times and it is lovely each time.

12. Emily McEwen says:

This place is amazing! I want to go! Is there anything to doin the area or you pretty much go there and never leave until it’s time for your flight?

13. Love living vicariously through you on this trip!

14. Lily says:

This is my number one dream vacation spot!! so jealous!

x Lily

15. Connie says:

Erin, this place looks amazing! But I’m curious … There is not a soul around in any of the pictures. Is it lively? Or not so much?

16. Karena says:

Another amazing place to add on my list Erin, great pics, thanks so much!

xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

17. Waverly says:

Liz – while Boston to Pittsburgh would be a direct flight, the drive from the Pittsburgh Airport to The Greenbrier would be over 4 hours. From Dulles, the drive would be around 3 1/2. Just be sure that your 2 little ones can handle the drive after the flight.

18. Erin Gates says:

Connie- I was just waiting until no one was in the frame :)

19. Awesome interior designing and interior decoration!

20. Elizabeth says:

Breathtaking! I love vacations in hotels that offer beauty for the eyes :)

21. Jayne says:

WOuld love to stay there! Love the daring use of color everywhere!

22. Debbie says:

I want a copy of that contact/letter to hang in my office!