Sneak Peek: Our New Office

Last October I made the hard decision to move out of my old office downtown. I loved the space and the friends I had in the building but a few factors outweighed how great it was: expensive parking, productivity issues and no air- conditioning. I was hard-pressed to leave the city as I held onto my office location downtown as the one thing that didn’t make me completely suburban.  But as we looked around there just wasn’t anything affordable enough to make it worth it- so off to the suburbs we went.  I found this little space in rough shape ( I can’t believe I can’t find my before shots) about two miles from my house in Waban Village.  It had nice windows, wood floors, free parking and across the street from Starbucks, a bank and a post office. Kinda all we needed. So we took it. And while I miss the city, we are so much more productive here!

We’ve made it as cheery and happy as we could so far.  Here is a peek into our little space.

Yes, the walls are BRIGHT. :)  Benjamin Moore’s All-A-Blaze is on the walls and set the tone for the space (see end of post for the inspiration…)  This gallery wall of some of my favorite press pieces are in various frames.  I love American Accents spray paint in Metallic Gold to spray frames.
IMG_0526

Lindsey and I sit here and love the bright windows and fresh air we get. I found the chairs on Etsy and reupholsted them in black Sunbrella. I actually have TWO MORE I’m not using if anyone wants them (they are not re-upholstered yet)- e-mail me at erin@eringatesdesign.com for info! The woven wood shades are from Select Blinds (Katsura) and were a bargain for custom sized!

IMG_0547

Details: The perfect peony and our press wall. Hi Oprah.

IMG_0528IMG_0569

I bought these chairs for next to nothing from a thirft shop about 6 years ago. I STILL have not gotten them re-upholstered! Someday- either in natural or black linen. I swear! Above is our little inspiration board.

IMG_0531

Details: Bulletin board (we painted gold) and the chairs.

IMG_0534IMG_0562

Details- sample return basket, books and lucite frames.

IMG_0563IMG_0561

Looking into the second room.

IMG_0536

IMG_0540

Details: Brass lamps, Poppin accessories and rolls and rolls of vintage wallpaper.

IMG_0560IMG_0591

In the second little room we have a mini conference table (IKEA) surrounded by more vintage chairs we re-upholstered. Everything sits atop a jute rug layered with a $100 vintage rug I found!

IMG_0565

Of course we have a bar. :) Above it I snagged these two mounted fern pieces at Homegoods for $40 each! The bar cart is from Target, the bird bowl from Jonathan Adler (a favorite accessory of mine when decorating) and a cute Kate Spade candle.

IMG_0570

Details: I love how the vase I designed with Jill Rosenwald looks with chartreuse hydrangea on the bar. And of of course we have the galley (i.e. press) paperback copies of my book around!

IMG_0576IMG_0583

IMG_0580

We need ample sample storage and so we employed some IKEA cubbies with woven baskets for this purpose.

IMG_0587

IMG_0590IMG_0596

Our other sample area- we tried to dress it up with some black paint (Benjamin Moore Space Black) and some shelving and bins from Target.  On the floor we installed some FLOR carpet tiles.

IMG_0592

As you may be able to tell, the inspiration for this space came loosely from Wes Anderson’s The Royal Tenenbaums.  I have always loved the bold pinky coral walls in that film and this was my chance to do them!

royal tenenbaums house set the ballroom

die-royal-tenenbaums-wallpaper-2-1280_2-20090401-155357-medium

Here’s how to get the look:

office

1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5. // 6. (or this one) // 7. // 8. // 9. // 10. // 11. // 12. // 13. // 14.

32 Responses to “Sneak Peek: Our New Office”

1. Love the space! About to open my new office in Newport Beach and will definitely be using color on the walls! Life is to short to spend all day in white :)
    Hope this new space brings you lots of luck and happiness.
    Jennifer

2. Mally Skok says:

Lots of luck with your new office, looks fun and oh so organized!!

3. Colleen says:

I can’t believe it! I just found your site, and was browsing through the office makeover only to see the two same EXACT green chairs that I bought about a year ago! I also have yet to get them redone (it’s on my to do list for this month) and am struggling with painting the wood white or leaving it. Its nice to see that they can fit right in with that green though!

4. Leslie says:

Just love everything you’ve done here! The office oozes fabulousness and it blows my mind how much of the furniture and accessories are affordable options. So awesome! The bright walls are perfect, but it’s so nice that you go home to a neutral, spa-like feel at your house (at least when you’re not in the middle of a renovation!).
    Would you mind sharing your source for the bamboo shades on your windows? I can’t tell you how many I have purchased and then returned at this point, it’s getting rather pathetic. Thanks!

5. Erin Gates says:

Leslie- I just added a link! They are the Katsura from Select Blinds- they are custom sized, affordable, fast and easy to install! :) http://www.selectblinds.com/bambooblinds/natural-woven-wood-shades.html

6. Andreea says:

I love tge space and the happy vibe it sends. And” across the street from Starbucks” is a strategic location.
    You wouldn’t happen to be looking for an intern, would you ? :)

Congratulations ! And to many more projects taking shape in this space !

7. Love the new office! The colors are so fun and cheery!

8. Across the street from Starbucks?! I’d be so dangerously over caffeinated. Love the sample room in black & the All-A-Blaze walls were an awesome choice!

9. hey girl..the space looks amaaaze (natch) but 369 still misses you and it is NOT the same without you! wah.

10. Roxy says:

Absolutely gorgeous! What an inspiring place to work! That colour is to die for :)

11. Eileen R says:

Love the new office space. You guys did a fantastic job. Thanks for the great inspiration.

12. Ali says:

Wow! I really love this space! It’s such a fun color without being too much.

13. Erica says:

Looks great! I kind of like the chairs in the green/yellow crushed velvet rather than tan/black, both in this space and in your downtown office. It gives a little patina and additional interest!

14. Megan says:

This is fantastic! But I blame you because I’m now dying to redo my office! Perhaps I’ll hire you to do mine. Do you think my clients would trust a designer who hired a designer? ;oP

15. Tara says:

Erin, it looks fantastic!!!! You never fail to amaze me with your style and how you put rooms together. Who wouldn’t want to work in this beautiful space. I love the office closet and especially those gold antlers on the wall! Do you have a source you could give? thanks!

16. Lily says:

Erin, this looks beautiful! One detail I’d love to know — the source for the lucite frames? they’re too cute!

x Lily

17. smash says:

Fabulous! I love all the budget friendly finds :)

18. so nice! Ditto Lily, where are the lucite frames from?

19. Lindsey A. says:

Looks great love the coral! And I loved spotting the bottle of Hypothesis wine on the bar cart! Hope you enjoyed our wines!

20. Angie says:

Love it! Your attention to every detail impresses me…..your rooms always give off such a relaxing, wholesome vibe due to your expert choices. I did buy the baskets from Target the first time you posted them…love them still.
    Many warm wishes to you and Andrew…enjoy the wonderful life you have built.

21. Christine says:

A great mix if pretty and practical! I think the frames are Crate and Barrel.

22. Heather P. says:

I’ve always wanted to live in the Tenenbaum house! Not sure I could every convince my husband to do pink walls, though!

23. wall color is yummy and I love that you have a bar cart in your office :D

24. Sara says:

Erin,
    I know there were a few times you mentioned questioning your choice of using a bold paint color instead of a calming neutral, but I would say you certainly made the right choice!! That color is gorgeous, it really sings on your gallery wall. I bet it has contributed to the office productivity by keeping the energy level up, and the positive vibes flowing.
    Once again…well done, lady. :)

25. Leslie says:

Thanks so much for the link! You are the best!

26. ejr says:

LOVE THIS!

27. Interioridea says:

Wow!! it looks really nice and lovely! Thanks for sharing

28. Holly Irwin says:

Hi Erin, This is so chic! What a wonderfully inspired place in which to work!

29. reeve says:

Where are the rugs from?!

30. franki says:

You “knocked it out of the park!!!” Isn’t metallic gold spray…da bomb!! franki

31. e says:

adorable-but literally almost fell off the couch when I saw that your inspiration was royal tenenbaums-hilarious and totally unexpected:)

32. Love, love, love the color of the walls and that you love the Royal Tenenbaums.

I really need to redo my office (space). There is a lot of inspiration here.