My Addition: Week Three (Or Is It Four?)

We are in week three (or four, I have lost count) of our addition/renovation. Our team from VW Builders has been totally awesome! Our master bedroom has taken shape and we can now walk around in it (and in my case, get to firm up my design plans!) Here’s a little panoramic of the master bedroom with all it’s glorious light! Our house is a little on the dark side so this room is a breath of fresh air!

photo 1-12

The overall scheme is “PEACEFUL!!!!!” (said in a stressed out, shrill voice). I want this room to be super soothing, crisp and traditional but with modern touches.  The color scheme is beige, white and hints of grey.  Two of my favorite pale shades are in the running here: Benjamin Moore’s Pale Oak and Farrow and Ball’s Skimming Stone.

OC-20Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 5.11.05 PM

This is the wall our bed will go on- between the windows.

photo 2-12

And speaking of the bed, I am so excited to be getting the opportunity to be designing my own bed (which will be for sale too) with the fabulous Kristin Drohan, who has a truly awesome furniture line!  I wasn’t finding the exact bed I wanted so we teamed up to make exactly what I was looking for: a canopy bed with square oak posts and a tufted upholstered headboard.  Very “California modern”…

unnamed

The bed is going to be in a Cerrused/limed oak with an off-white faux leather headboard.

15284_n

Next to the bed- these awesome large nightstands from Worlds Away- modern white lacquer with brass accents. Lamps are still TBD…

thumb.aspx

This is the big window seat we designed specifically with our beloved, spoiled-rotten two dogs in mind. They love nothing more than sitting on the guest bed and looking out on the street all day.  Now that that room won’t have a bed in it, we put this spot in the room just for them (it’s labeled “Dog Seat” on the plans!)  Of course, we benefit from it too.

photo 2-11

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 5.04.03 PM

To save a little money, we will most likely be doing a lift top storage space instead of drawers, but you get the point.  We’ll dress it up with a roman shade in the same Lacefield fabric our drapes will be in (more on that later) and make a great cushion and add some throw pillows.  Also, we are installing  sconces to the left and right of the window. A little something like this…

windowseat

This is where the original house meets the new part- there is much to be done here. There are two steps down into the master bedroom from the entry hall (where Andrew is getting some seriously SWEET built ins for his closet)… Building an addition on a raised lot creates lots of issues with roof lines and floor/ceiling levels so using a couple steps here and there was necessary. I kinda like it!

photo 3-6

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 5.04.46 PM

I’m hoping we can fit the Bernhardt Cabrillo nailhead dresser on this wall with a TV  (or art- that’s to be decided) above it.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 5.20.02 PM

This is where my little walk in closet will be! More to come on this as I work with California Closets on the layout and design to make the most of this small space, but I’m sure there will be a wallpapered ceiling happening…

photo 4-4

The view from my closet window down to our back yard (which currently has a mish-mosh of patio furniture on it and a makeshift plastic fence to keep the dogs from being rascals in the construction zone.)

photo 3-7

This is looking from the window seat to the opposite side of the room- a huge window lets in massive light and showcases some nice trees out back.

photo 5-4

The window will be like this below, and flanked with drapes in that block-print Lacefield fabric as well as some woven wood shades layered underneath.  And we’ll be using brass rods similar to the awesome West Elm ones we used downstairs.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 5.04.33 PM

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 6.05.48 AM

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 6.41.04 PMScreen Shot 2014-06-16 at 7.13.30 PM

And for a smidge of color, my dream would be to re-upholster this old chair I got at an antique shop for $90 in Peter Dunham’s Ikat Stripe! It may not be financially possible so I’m hunting for a back up!

photo 1-13

Peter-Dunham-Textiles-Ikat-in-pasha-1Peter-Dunham-Textiles-Ikat-in-pasha-1

More to come as things progress and my timeline shortens and I have to make actual decisions!!! I am great at deciding for others, but for myself it’s a bit more of a challenge!

Peter-Dunham-Textiles-Ikat-in-pasha-1Peter-Dunham-Textiles-Ikat-in-pasha-1

36 Responses to “My Addition: Week Three (Or Is It Four?)”

1. Angela says:

The bed sounds fantastic!

2. Sherry Hart says:

I can’t wait to see the finished room….I know it will be true Erin style….beautiful!

3. Stephanie says:

All sounds wonderful!

4. Karen says:

Your bedroom will be beautiful! What company are you using for your wood-like blinds? I have been seeing these a lot lately. I need to replace blinds- Are these a more updated look vs. the sheer linen-like blinds?

5. Looking good! That bedroom looks enormous. Can’t wait to see the end result.

6. It’s in production. Love all the other elements. It is going to be gorg!

7. Kelly says:

It’s going to be beautiful! I love these posts – they are my favorite!

8. Lacey Saggio says:

Love seeing all the progress! By the way, nothing can replace Peter, but Premier Prints has a similar pattern called “Jiri” in several different colorways that might work for your chair!

9. Susan says:

I love it…and love the calm scheme. I applaud those that can use bold color in a bedroom and ‘rock the look’, but I can’t seem to do it. BTW…I used Benjamin Moore’s ‘Wind’s breath’ for our bedroom which is very close in color to the ‘Pale Oak’ and it was the best decision ever. I think your paint choices are going to be perfect for your room — and I love that Ikat fabric for the chair!

10. Leslie says:

I heart this!!!

11. Erin Gates says:

Pamela- It’s not enormous- it’s a GREAT size, bigger than I have now, but there isn’t like, enough room to do gymnastics or anything :)
    Lacey- We use Jiri all the time- the colors just aren’t quite right for this room unfortunately. It’s a great fabrics though!

12. Ann says:

Your bedroom is quickly becoming favorite space in your home! So beautiful! Cannot wait to see the bed come to life!

13. Erin Gates says:

Karen- I love using woven wood shades- either layering under drapes or alone. Look at The Shade Store, Smith & Noble, Three Day Blinds or Select Blinds for good choices.

14. Amanda says:

Beautiful! Can you share the source of your sconces? Thanks!

15. Sally says:

I love *everything* about your room!

Question – what are you doing with that gorgeous Crate and Barrel bed that is in your current bedroom? Will it fit in your guest room?

16. Kim says:

I can’t believe you mentioned re-upholstering the chair! I have had it in the back of my mind to email your assistant THIS WEEK to ask her who you recommend for a good re-upholsterer around Boston — I have a chair in my living room that needs to be redone. Do you mind sharing who you use?
    I’m a loyal reader and have learned so much about design just from reading your blog — thank you!
    Congratulations on the renovation — can’t wait to see the end results!

17. Amy says:

Very exciting stuff! What’s the fabric you’re using on your window seat?

18. Allison says:

Hi Erin! Your addition is really killin it. I have a question about your Gigi though! Are the handles long enough to throw it over your shoulder? I know it’s technically a satchel, but just thought I would ask before I pulled the trigger! Thanks for all the inspiration and laughs. Hoping you make a stop in Chicago for your book tour :)

Xo
    Allison

19. Erin Gates says:

Sally- our current master bedroom will stay as is and function as the guest room- the current guest room will HOPEFULLY become a nursery (but will be an office until then).

Allison- it IS long enough to fit over my shoulder- it’s not a shoulder bag per-say, but I pop it on my shoulder all the time!

Him- I can’t really give out that resource, we have to keep some things sacred for our clients. SORRY!

20. deb says:

… you may never leave your bedroom– beautiful spot-on choices!

21. Tatiana says:

It seems like yesterday you were announcing the arrival of the Colette headboard for your bedroom. I am still waiting for my Colette! :) Congratulations! It is very fun to live vicariously through you, what an amazing beautiful life.

22. I love it! Keep the updates coming!

23. Martha says:

Erin, I used Pale Oak at our summer cottage in Maine which has a linen, white, aqua accent color scheme throughout. It’s perfect. I think it will work great with the colors in your home.

24. Hayley says:

There’s a fabric by Premier Prints called “Jiri” that is very similar to the Peter Dunham fabric you want to use for your antique chair! They have it in tons of colors! Good luck- can’t wait to see :)

Thayermanor.wordpress.com

25. Sally says:

Thanks for the guest room update! You’ll get that nursery :)

I was wondering if you were happy with the Colette bed – I’m considering it in Gray…

26. Liz says:

Love all the light fabrics. How do you keep them clean with your pups??

27. Erin says:

Sally- love love my Colette. It’s such a classic, well made bed!

28. Catherine says:

Very excited to see the finished product. I have steps down into my master bedroom now as well. I love it, makes it really feel like a separate space. I can’t wait to see that bed!

29. Susan says:

If you’re looking for a new home for your Williams and Sonoma side tables (the multi level ones)… I know a home in Wellesley that would be more than happy to welcome them in!! :) :)

30. Cindi says:

Your BR style is such a breath of fresh air this morning – gorgeous. Would you mind sharing a link for the sconces.

31. franki says:

This is going to be a stunner…a peaceful stunner!! franki

32. Cannot wait to see your room once it’s done.

We used Skimming Stone on a project in Tuscany. It’s a really beautiful color. Worth every euro (or penny).

33. Erin says:

I’m surprised you’re giving up your Crate & Barrel bed! I’m trying to convince my fiance that we need one =)

34. Molly says:

I was coming to recommend the Jiri stripe and see that a couple others already have! Love your plans. Can’t wait to see more progress.

35. Nice interior designing and interior decoration!