Introducing the Gates Desk with Huston & Company!

When we were working on our last house renovation I got the opportunity to work with the incredibly talented furniture makers Huston & Company in Kennebunkport, Maine to design my own dining table. Not only did I personally love the finished product, but a lot of other people did and they went on to make a bunch of Gates tables for people all over country in various shapes, sizes and finishes.  So when they approached me to design another piece for them I was delighted to!  I decided that a desk would be perfect as I struggle to find great desks for clients,  and so went about conceptualizing a design that embodied the lines of the dining table mixed with some campaign furniture details. I wanted it to be a modern classic that worked with a variety of decor styles and was of substantial size (I love a nice, big work space!) The finished product, the Gates Desk was recently delivered to my parent’s beach house (I gave the desk to my dad as a thank you for all the work he’s done designing OUR new home) and we styled it up and shot it a couple weeks ago! Check it out!
IMG_0601

Rug and wire waste basket from Hudson, chair from DWR, lamp from Pottery Barn, vintage map found at an antique shop in CT

GatesDeskFrontSilo

The Gates Desk with three drawers with campaign pulls.

GatesDeskBackSilo

Back and Side Profile

IMG_0625

We chose a grey wash over the solid white oak grain for a modern yet classic color scheme.

IMG_0628

I am obsessed with these vases from Hudson, by the way.

IMG_0641

I love the exaggerated grain and swoop of the legs!

IMG_0647IMG_0648

Tray and candle from Hudson // Drawer detail

Here are some pictures of the desk being made.  Every piece from Huston & Company is hand made in their shop in Kennebunkport, Maine.  These pieces are meant to last a lifetime and be passed down to future generations. In a world of disposable furniture there is such beauty in having something hand made just for you that will last forever!

DeskInShop3

DeskInShop5

DeskInShop4

DeskCompletedNoFinish

Contact Huston & Company to order and make it your own (I am sure this could easily be made as a rectangle dining table with no drawers as well!)  They are the nicest people int he world to work with and make the often intimidating idea of custom furniture a welcome, lovely experience!

25 Responses to “Introducing the Gates Desk with Huston & Company!”

1. Tuli P. says:

I didn’t know that exist some brand that allow you to design your piece of furniture! I love the desk you have designed in particular I like the dimensions and the drawers.
    See you soon
    Tuli P.
    Esthète Urbaine

2. Amy L. says:

Beautiful, Erin! On my wish list for our someday office remodel.

3. Nice interior Designing and interior Decoration!

4. Stephanie says:

Simply stunning…

5. Kate says:

Erin, thank you for all of your kind words! It was a pleasure to work with you again on another beautiful piece of furniture. The Gates Desk is currently on our website with dimensions and pricing, for all to see. Our only regret is that we didn’t make two and keep one in our showroom!
    And in response: yes, we can definitely make it as a trestle style dining table – and in fact have already done so. And to Tuli – custom furniture is what we do – we can make just about anything you can dream up.
    Best wishes all,
    Kate (Bill is fishing in Jackson, Maine today with a friend)
    Huston & Company

6. Nicky Jones says:

As we say in the UK (insert British accent) Ding Dong. This is gorgeous – I’d have it in a heartbeat!

7. Andrea C says:

Beautiful! Looks like that trash can is sold out at Hudson..bummer!

8. Erin Gates says:

Andrea- I’d e-mail or call them. They had a couple on the floor!

9. Andrea C says:

Thanks for the follow up!!

10. deb says:

a stunner! love everything about this desk. the pulls are a nifty detail– they do not project out (practical yet also handsome) as i would catch my bangle or”something” on a pull that juts out,… great design!i will have to check them out this summer; i’ve driven by them a gazillion times, but never stopped in. they are right down the road from gooserock’s (i’ll be up there next week)!

11. Julie says:

It’s gorgeous, Erin! Really and truly. Also, I need that rug. I’ve wanted it for a while now and well, now I pretty much need to get it ;)

12. Susan says:

I highly highly recommend the Hudson company!! We got out Gates dining table from them and love it!! They are awesome to work with and the quality of craftsman ship is amazing!! They are awesome!!!!!

13. Erin Gates says:

Thanks Susan!!! :) So happy you are still happy!

14. I do like the design of the table, but the drawers look much shallower than the desk drawers I’m used to. Do you find this to be a storage issue for you?

Also, what kind of storage do you use for files? I’m tired of my boring filing box.

Thanks!
    Lauren

15. Lesleigh says:

This is beautiful! I love the pictures of it being made. It looks like it will definitely last for generations!

Lesleigh
    pearls on a string

16. Kelli says:

Congratulations! It’s lovely. I love the grey wash you selected too!

17. Erica says:

Love the legs, with the triple swoop. The middle swoop is the perfect touch. That’s a great take-off from your dining room table.

18. Ali says:

That desk is gorgeous, absolutely love the mix of clean lines and curves!

19. franki says:

I LOVE THE DESK!!! What’s next???? franki

20. Love the desk, looks so different than everything I’ve seen before. The lamp is very cute :)

21. Gorgeous desk, Erin! One day I would like to have a cottage and spend my entire summer there – this desk would be the perfect piece for my home (“cottage”) office.

22. Beautiful desk. Love the lines of it and that it’s custom.

23. Demetrius says:

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing
    a blog podt or vice-versa? My bloig goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you are interested feel free to shoot me
    an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog
    by the way!