Fashion Friday: My Favorite Summer Tee!

tshirt Last Sunday I popped into J.Crew for no particular reason at all (as many of us do).  As I was poking around I had t ee shirts on my mind. All my tees look ratty from last year (and some from many years previous) and I really wanted to replenish my stash of the staple. But it seems as of late every t-shirt that looks like it has a good fit is some kind of linen version, which feels and drapes amazing at time of purchase, but cut to me emptying the dryer and finding that I mistakenly dried mine and now it could fit my five year old niece.  I mean, they are tee shirts after all, and it’s so easy to forget that they need to be laid flat to dry (who has the time and mental capacity to recall that when hurrying to get a load of wash done?)  So when I saw J.Crew’s new scoop neck vintage cotton tees I was intrigued. And for good reason. These are the BEST!  The fit is long, lean and with the perfect deep scoop that’s not too racy but not too high either. V-necks always feel too sporty for layering, and crew necks aren’t flattering if you have any kid of bustline. The fabric feels great and the color selection is perfect. Since they were 25% off (and still are with code PACKME ) I bought five! I never do that! Ever! But when you find a good basic that fits perfect and is on sale- you kinda have to. And then you have to share the info! :)

And since my summer is full of construction, travel and spending as much time outside as possible so I’ve already developed a uniform. One of these tees, rolled boyfriend jeans, lace up funky sandals, my satchel (free monogramming and shipping right now) and a cool long necklace (this one reminds me of a vintage one I inherited from Andrew’s grandmother I LOVE) and simple studs (tiny diamonds are a forever classic and I love mine).  In the summer I love to air dry my hair as it’s naturally wavy and it’s so much better for it than heat styling. I am absolutely loving Drybar’s new Salt Spray- it’s less drying than others I’ve tried and really defines my waves, adds a little volume while also kinda keeps frizz  at bay! LOVE IT.  On my toes I’ve been doing orangey-red polish constantly as it looks so good with a light tan AND pale skin! Bring it, summer! uniform

1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5. // 6. // 7. // 8.

25 Responses to “Fashion Friday: My Favorite Summer Tee!”

1. Maria says:

Thanks again for the great advice, Erin. I really appreciate your shopping posts – I’m loving the concealer and Dior polish you recommended a couple of weeks ago! You’re the best!

2. Erin says:

Trade the lace up sandals for Jacks & that’s my uniform right there. Loving the scoop neck T!

3. I always find that the Jcrew t-shirts rip right where they meet my button on my jeans. Does this happen to anyone else?This still doesn’t keep me from purchasing them, but you gotta get them on sale, since I am always replacing them. I’m all about a summer uniform too! (mine include white jeans)

4. Love it! My summer uniform alternates between lightweight summer dresses and jeans/tee combos like this one.

5. anne says:

I love J-Crew t-shirts! I think ridding of old tees every year or two is the way to go.

I have been looking for the past 6 months for the perfect bag (i think i’ve bought and returned 3 or 4 so far..) and the Gates Satchel is so beautiful! I am going back and forth between satchel and shoulder bag. You mentioned the handles are long enough to go over the shoulder, which would be great! Erin, would you be up for posting a few more pictures here or on instagram of the bag in other positions to help show the size, functionality, and usefulness?

6. agreed. bring it summer. Great uniform!

7. Erin Gates says:

Anne, I certainly can. The bag totally fits over my shoulder (albeit snugly). I really love the size and the ability to carry tons of stuff or very little and have it feel appropriate! I’ll do a post with images of me holding it for you to see- just waiting for a different colorway to arrive so you can see one other than black!

8. Deb says:

yes, with you here… my fave new Madewell tee w/linen is now two sizes smaller as of course it went thru the dryer! Arggg! Thnxx for the tip on jcrew tees. As I just packed for a long weekend, my last years’ tees (yes, need new ones: maybe there’s a jcrew in Pittsburgh, PA) the top staple & my white boyfriend jeans! Happy Memorial Day weekend!

9. Barchbo says:

I live in Austin – your summer uniform is my year-round uniform! Except, I sometimes add an army jacket or cardigan with a scarf in the winter…

Enjoy the holiday!

10. Joy says:

I’ve been coveting these shirts from afar for a while, and even moreso once they went on sale. Erin – what’s the sizing like?

11. Erin Gates says:

Joy, I got a medium because I wanted it a little looser and know it’ll shrink when I dry it!

12. Lily says:

I love J Crew’s cotton tees as well! and — I too let me hair air dry so much more in summer. That spray looks like just the thing!

x Lily

13. Ali says:

I adore your summer uniform! Every piece is so versatile! Have a great weekend Erin!

14. Maggie says:

I’ve loved the vintage cotton V-neck for about a year now and maybe have to try this cut as well! Mine didn’t shrink much until about 8 or 9 months of regular use & washings. I also picked up the vintage cotton tanks and will be getting more colors! The only time I go for the favorite tee instead of their vintage cotton is with white, which gets a little too see-through for me. I tend to buy multiples when i find a great t-shirt that I like too. Makes it so easy!

15. Anne says:

I loved this tee as well…until all of mine developed little holes in the front. Perhaps yours won’t wear as quickly as mine have done, but I was greatly disappointed in the quality.

16. Britt says:

Just curious, what do you think is unflattering about crew necks on women who have any kind of bust?

17. Lara says:

my j crew vintage ts never seem to hold their shape…and get those weird random “mouse” holes in the front. I also recently tried the sunwashed ts from LOFT…same issue…holes. the search continues…so far the only shirt that seems to hold up (but has a different look) are my GapFit Breathe t shirts.

18. Stacey says:

So glad you posted about this because I have been dying to ask others what they are doing about tee shirts this summer. I feel like every one I try on (especially J. Crew) is see through and I know when it gets hot, I’m not going to want to layer. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

19. franki says:

GO SUMMER!!! franki

20. Allyson says:

Have you tried the Old Navy Vintage Tee! I swear by it!

21. Love your selection of colors for summer tees – I’ll definitely be incorporating this into my wardrobe! Love your personal style :) I work at http://www.lashkaraa.com as a stylist and you definitely inspire me with your style <3

Xo Sunaina

22. Jenny says:

Does anyone get those teeny tiny holes in your t-shirts by the belly button area? Erin, have you noticed it with these tees? Just bought a few from the Gap and after two wears I already have them! I know, first world problems. TIA!

23. I do find it lighter with the appeal of each of these decors as well the cloth. Cool long necklace carry much better and adorn for all those who wear. Great stuff:) Thanks for sharing.

24. Commercial eye make-up removers can leave the eyes burning or feeling dry.
    If you have complicated eye conditions you may need to seek a
    more experienced ophthalmologist or optometrist. There are not much side effects associated with
    this surgery, but the only thing that you need to
    remember in this case is to take proper care recommended by your professional.

Feel free to visit my blog post – eyeglass store brooklyn

25. It contains antioxidants and brightens dark circles under the eyes.
    If the eye doctor you are going to see does not have all their credentials or their certifications or license
    is expired, you should find a new doctor to perform the cataract
    surgery on you. Great eyelashes, every woman wants them, but
    they don’t just happen over night.

Here is my web page; cheapest contact lens exam brooklyn