A Man-Approved Meatless Meal

food

(a food photographer I am not- plates from Kate Spade)

I have long wanted to add more meat-free meals to my life.  I’ve been cutting out red meat and pork from my diet most of the time (for personal “I love animals” reasons, not for a diet).  However we eat a lot of chicken. SO MUCH CHICKEN. And when I dine out I love to order fish because others cook it so much better than I do. And yes, I know these are also animals but I have less warm fuzzy feelings for chickens and fish then I do for larger mammals. So while I will continue to eat these things, I really want to have some yummy meals I can prepare that do not include any meat at all. There is one problem though…. I have a very hungry husband who likes to eat ALL the animals. Tricky.

So the other night I persuaded him to let me prepare a recipe I saw in last month’s Martha Stewart magazine that happened to be meat-free but I thought looked really filling and delicious- “One Pan Orecchiette with Chickpeas and Olives”. Holy hell you guys, it was DELICIOUS and guess who loved it? Andrew! (Granted he did say “this would be awesome with some spicy sausage in it…”) But still, he was full and happy with it as is!  I loved it so much I saved the extra and ate it the next day for lunch. And the best part- it’s beyond easy and affordable to make. Just throw everything into the skillet and wait 15 minutes! I’m no chef and I have little free time so meals like these are gold to me!

Here’s the recipe:

• 12 ounces orecchiette
  • 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 6-inch sprig rosemary
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
  • 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1 1/2 ounces), plus more for serving
  • 2 cups baby arugula (about 2 ounces)

Combine pasta, chickpeas, olives, tomato paste, garlic, rosemary, oil, pepper flakes, and 5 cups water (** note from Erin- I’d use 4 cups water and add a little at the end if needed to thicken instead- I thought this was too much water) in a large straight-sided skillet. Season generously with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente and liquid is reduced to a sauce that coats pasta, 12 to 15 minutes.

Remove skillet from heat, discard rosemary, and stir in cheese. Add more water, a few tablespoons at a time, to thin sauce if necessary. Divide pasta and arugula among bowls and serve immediately, drizzled with oil and sprinkled with cheese and pepper flakes.

21 Responses to “A Man-Approved Meatless Meal”

1. Totally trying this tonight! I am meatless too – cant give up the fish! Suysel

2. Irene says:

Yum! Totally trying this tonight too! Sounds delish :)

3. Kelly says:

Sounds delicious! Sometimes I put chickpeas on my spaghetti (instead of meatballs)- they really do go quite well with pasta. For more filling vegetarian dishes, I recommend these Broccoli Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes made with Greek yogurt: http://kellytoups.com/2012/11/15/broccoli-cheddar-twice-baked-potatoes-made-with-greek-yogurt/ For potlucks, I like bringing this Quinoa Salad with Marcona almonds and dried cranberries: http://kellytoups.com/2014/03/06/quinoa-salad-with-dried-cranberries-and-marcona-almonds/

4. Laura M says:

Whaaa? No post on the Met Gala? oooh I hopes that’s tomorrows feature.

5. This looks delicious! Have the same problem when trying to go meatless…the hungry husband. Will have to give this one a try!
    Oh Buoy Boston

6. Loved this recipe too! And I agree, needs a little less liquid :)
    That’s awesome you’re cutting back on meat – keep up the good work!

7. Tara says:

I agree I could do without the meat most of the time….but the hubs of course wants his meat! This looks delicious! I’ll have to make it soon. Love that it’s quick and easy.

8. Shannon says:

I avoid beef and pork too, so this is right up my alley. I’m not a huge olive fan, but I bet sun dried tomatoes would be just as yummy.

9. Jamie Ortega says:

We do meatless Mondays and just had sweet potato and black bean enchiladas and even the hubby loved them!

10. Tina says:

Erin — I cut down meat by eating meatless at lunch, when my family isn’t around. This recipe looks great and I will def try it. But I have to admit, was hoping for a Met Ball recap. Your recaps are the very best!!

11. I don’t know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering issues with your blog.
    It looks like some of the text within your content are running off the screen.
    Cann someone else pleasae comment and let me kow if
    this is happening tto them as well? This may
    be a issue with my browser because I’ve had
    this happen before. Thanks

Also visit my web site; اعلانات نقل عفش

12. Heather E says:

Loved the recipe post! But I was also dying for a met ball recap with your personal twist ! Please weigh in on SJP’s dress… Dying to know what you thought!
    I also love when you do posts on television shows that you like and comment on the fashion and interior design!

13. Very shortly this website will be famous among all blog viewers,
    due to it’s fastidious posts

my webpage; GHD Lisseur Pas Cher

14. Laura S. says:

This looks/sounds delicious. I’m also trying to eat less meat, so beans, like chickpeas, are great for protein. I recently created Moroccan Chickpea Burgers (http://wp.me/p4xPWh-1w)- so incredibly good, easy, & quick (also boyfriend-approved)!

15. Tatiana says:

Bravo on cutting back on meat!!! I care less about chickens too, but they are treated the worst, ugh, annoying! Trying to just get farm-raised as a middle ground since I don’t have the strength to cut it out completely. :/

Can’t wait to try this recipe, thanks!

16. this looks wonderful, thanks!

17. jdj says:

Looks yummy, cannot wait to try.

18. Katie says:

I made this tonight and LOVED it. Thanks for sharing.

19. Paula Martin says:

I love this post. Sadly, the first thing my husband would ask if I served this is “where’s the meat?” He likes chickpeas and all, but he’d like some meat with that, lol! But, perhaps I introduce it as a side dish and, after we have kids and I’m just too tired, he’ll acclimate. A girl can wish!

20. Emily says:

I made this is weekend, and both my husband I loved it! Thanks for the recipe!