Beautiful Boxwood

As I get used to having a home with a yard that needs landscaping I am starting to become more educated about plants and how to use them properly.  Being a busy person who doesn’t have the greenest of thumbs I constantly am looking for plants that make a big impact with as little maintenance as possible. Enter the boxwood.

I love the sculptural essence of this plant and the modern yet traditional vibe that boxwood can take based on how it’s potted and shaped. From using it in the yard to in pots by a front door, it’s the perfect way to fill your beds and outdoor space with big impact greenery. Here’s some inspiration…

f5cd400e54aea6ae475d23e94548e13b

bdc4a986d71df4343da8d1383cdabae399cc6d5d7af5b87647a3c0ab25cb400e

da96d301b218efa6b10381e9a1646a75

c62590bcea9c7fd40e6e894239cee5665ea67083b0fa8c539d9811b5ad0e869b

5a886a1ae2e6e47b2d147a65badc88d67c3bab6f37f431905d75309ccc62b0fe

0bece8f510b0cbc84ffcd1c1e74a9fb3

9003ae0cbefc1a3444f307f9de59fc450a3b1ac098fcfa5f4ce3266e551df8f2

937be4c19b7ea7f51c984e906043fb9faec09231fe377252e727146469dd39cb

af5da863bcdc62b033ca9060e525d1b1

Here are some great planter choices to try for your patio or front of your home this spring!

planters

1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5. // 6. // 7. // 8. // 9. // 10. // 11. // 12.

26 Responses to “Beautiful Boxwood”

1. Abby says:

I seem to kill every plant that comes into my life – thanks for sharing these!

Abby

2. Irene says:

It looks so beautiful with the lavender!

3. Yes- there are few houses that couldn’t benefit from a nice row of boxwood! They are formal and sculptural yet bring softness/lushness.

4. Tamara says:

I love every image you’ve posted here – ahh!!!

5. Rebecca says:

I love boxwoods, especially when in gorgeous cast iron urns or planted on the path leading up to a front door! I’m currently trying to convince my husband to put some potted ones by our front door. He hates them–who hates boxwoods?! Well, he’s a weirdo who continues to plant desert-esque plants in our Atlanta yard. Happy planting!! Can’t wait to see what you do!

6. Gorgeous photos! Boxwood is essential in having a groomed yard.

7. franki says:

Hah! Just planted a dozen of those little guys!! It dries wonderfully when used in decorating indoors, etc. franki

8. Deena says:

Residential true estate at Pune is all established to develop new
    benchmarks. When the economic system is solid and unemployment is lower, selling prices for residential real estate
    tend to rise. It will involve a sequence of actions, including the use of a
    management enterprise.

My webpage: free online real estate auctions (Deena)

9. Kathleen says:

I love all of the photos, especially the one featuring a well-fed Golden Retriever. After a long winter and shorter walks, my dog is looking a bit barrel-shaped, too.

10. Krysta says:

Girl, it is like you read my mind! We’ve been in our house for a year and this is the first wither of us have had a yard to landscape. I too love boxwoods and think they look fantastic in large planters!

11. jillian says:

love those scalloped pots! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

12. Kristin says:

Boxwood’s are the best! Love all these landscaping ideas too!

13. Lily says:

These are familiar sights to me as a New Englander as well! Love the planter options you picked :)

x Lily

14. Christina C says:

Thanks for this post! I am in the same boat with landscaping right now… we just planted a row of Japanese holly bushes that are very similar to boxwood, but have a darker green, shinier leaf and are heartier in the winter (they especially can tolerate having snow dumped on them, which boxwoods don’t like). Japanese holly also can be shaped like boxwood and fill in very nicely with you prune them, so they appear really lush. You might want to consider Japanese holly too :) I am thinking of transplanting a couple of my boxwoods into doorstep planters though, because they will be somewhat covered in the winter, and the color is lovely.

15. LizzyLou says:

Excellent post! Taming my wild, growing jungle is quite a challenge. I found this very inspirational. Thanks!

16. It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this subject, however, you
    seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

17. Interesting post. I think the boxwood is a great choice for yards and outdoor spaces. Great landscaping ideas. Thanks

18. Holly Irwin says:

I never thought of putting boxwood shrubs in a pot! Great idea and they look fabulous…….thanks for sharing!
    xo
    Holly

19. Ann says:

I have 2 pairs of boxwoods that are transplants from Shirley Plantation (VA) in terra cotta pots on my brick front steps. The smaller pair are English and the larger, faster growing, are American. Something interesting that the ‘plant lady’ at Shirley told me when I bought them was to always prune and shape by breaking off by hand, to never use clippers. I have long forgotten her explanation for why but I’ve been following her advice for ~5 years and my boxwoods are certainly healthy and beautiful. Have fun with your gardening!

20. Emily says:

I second what Ann said about hand pruning. It’s more costly than paying someone to come in with gas shears but pays off in the long run! My husband has a landscaping company and every summer he has this discussion with his new customers!

21. I just did a similar blog post a couple weeks ago about Boxwoods and my obsession w square planters, preferably reclaimed wood or another organic material. Thanks for sharing!

22. web page says:

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter
    and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.”
    She put the shell to her ear and screamed.

There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!

LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell
    someone!

My web site web page

23. Kate Mai says:

Re boxwood, if I may quote The Grinch, “…..loathe entirely”! But I love everything else you do!

24. Travelling is a pain when you don’t have the mobility to move around. We own a database of 800 rental agents at 30,000 locations in 174 countries. It’s one of the largest database ever existed on the planet!
    Just let us know where and when would you like to pick up and drop off your car via the form above, and we’ll recommend the best deals for you!

25. Sweet Sanity says:

So timely! Have been mulling over a row behind my cottage and wish they came totally mature and hedged already. :) Southern Living has a lovely article on them as well this month with a gorgeous property in Virginia. They always look so classy. Love the planter options ~ grey seems to do them justice!!

26. Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue along with your web
    site in web explorer, could test this? IE still is the marketplace chief
    and a large component of people will miss your great
    writing due to this problem.