Fashion Friday: Neutral Uniform + Investment Necklace

I love a good statement necklace. I have a couple that are guaranteed to get me stopped by at least one person per wear to ask where it’s from.  Paired with a more basic “uniform” on black and white (in my case, mostly black) a really good statement necklace can completely MAKE an outfit AND make it easier to get dressed!

7e6cc6362b5c1e7ce05194fa6173759706bd4b62c87bb28d4da903c4b0d68a33

edd645d335c4647954bae40fc74d26a550f539d64f1774ea55843064a2ea6345

I saw this Marni necklace the other day and about died.  It’s SO incredibly me and SO incredibly expensive. I can’t help but think about how many ways I could wear it though.  Granted it’s absurdly overpriced for what it is, but sometimes it’s worth splurging on one amazing piece if you can find many, many ways to wear it (and it makes you deliriously happy).
Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 2.45.18 PM

necklace

So I pulled together a slew of affordable neutral looks from chain stores and discount shops with this one statement, investment piece.  When you buy more inexpensive items in black or white they can tend to look more pricey, especially when paired with one high end item (shoes, bag, jewelry, etc.) And when you outfit yourself in lots of basic colors and lines, you can always add in a bold pop of color to mix things up.  Let’s take a peek at what I pulled together all using that one Marni necklace…

casual

1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5.

nightout

1. or this one// 2. // 3. // 4.

fancy1

1. or this one // 2. //3. // 4. // 5.

sunday

1. // 2. // 3. or this one // 4. // 5.

OFFICE

1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5.

And to help out with some fun purchases there are some sales going on from the vendors in this post:

OLD NAVY is 30% off with code THANKS.

ANN TAYLOR is 40% off your purchase when you sign up for e-mails.

J.CREW is 25% off or 30% off if you have a J. Crew card.

31 Responses to “Fashion Friday: Neutral Uniform + Investment Necklace”

1. Liza Miller says:

Love that striped dress! And its price! But alas, as I am the same height as the model, it would be entirely too short for work. Sad face. Thanks for the tease, haha.

2. Becky says:

When I was about 21 (35 this year) I bought my first pair of Blaniks, I justified them because I wore them so often and thought about the piles of $30 shoes I didn’t wear that filled my closet. If you spend your money on quality items that become a staple, its never a bad investment.

Still have those red Blaniks, even scuffed up a bit they still look amazing.

3. Diplospice says:

Go for it – your cost per wear will be pennies. Love your fashion friday posts!

4. Zoe Royall says:

Damn you. I’M SUPPOSED TO BE ON A SHOPPING HIATUS! These looks are good. Really good. Nice work on putting this all together! (And…DAMN YOU!!!) ;-)

5. Heather P. says:

Love this look – especially for work! I’m all about keeping things simple when I get ready in the morning, and this would be a great idea to try!

6. BAB says:

Gates… you absolutely killed it with this post! I am ready to buy almost everything. This could be dangerous.

7. Christine says:

love your high/low picks! Such great taste!

8. Abby says:

That necklace is amazing!!!! Love it!

Abby

9. jillian says:

beautiful necklace! i love it paired with different outfits! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

10. think you have officially justified the purchase. it’s gorgeous and timeless! xx

11. alicia says:

gosh, love so many things! I’m ordering the date night top. I tried to order the Gap jeans, but they don’t have my size :( on line and I don’t particularly enjoy going into the Gap. I’ll have to make do with my current bf jeans :). Love the second image – I actually wore that same blazer and top yesterday, but no statement necklace. I’m going to have to try it with a necklace! Take care!

12. Jess says:

I think you just talked yourself into buying the necklace, which is spectacular, by the way!!

13. Dominique says:

Bought the gap dress immediately. Looks like you found me my summer uniform. Thanks Erin!

14. I’m all about a statement necklace. I come to work in my basic skinny jeans and flowy top and pick a necklace from the shop to wear. Nothing beats a vintage chunky necklace.

15. I swear by statement JEWELRY period. While in NYC the week before christmas, I was shocked at the handful of times a stranger complimented the statement chunky necklace I wore outside of my wool coat and scarf. In one of the high end dept stores a worker complimented it and then elsewhere just on the streets. I felt extra proud considering I was in NYC and stood out a tiny bit and also because the necklace was so old that I almost gave it to the goodwill weeks prior.

16. Holly Irwin says:

Love, need, want a statement necklace NOW!!!!! Love it with the striped tee and blazer! Thanks for a great post!
    xo
    Holly

17. franki says:

Ka-BLING!! Luv it! franki

18. I would wear absolutely every one of those outfits! The Sunday Funday look is pretty much my weekend uniform. Great post!!

Annie

19. Nancy says:

Don’t order the second choice ASOS jumper. I ordered this last year and it has pleats and pockets that make hips look huge and bulky ( And hips are not my problem). Not sliming at all.

20. Nice! I’m on the hunt for a statement necklace to wear this spring/summer.

21. You actually mentioned this very well.

22. rozi says:

Black dress in first picture is most beautiful. I like that dress…

23. Classic with a twist… the very best combo!

24. Cathy says:

Been dying to share my latest shoe score, figured this is the right audience. These black and white striped flats are SOOOO cute in person! And beyond comfortable as a bonus. And look at the $15 price tag, ha!!

25. Hurrah,that’s what I wwas searching for, what a data!
    existing here at this website, thanks admin of this web site.

my weblog Muscle Strain Treatment

26. Danielle says:

Love all of these looks, especially the big night out! I am focusing on adding more necklaces to my wardrobe this week. I got 5 new ones over the weekend,and I can’t wait to see how they spruce up my look! – Danielle – http://dmbridal.com

27. THAT NECKLACE THOUGH !

Proud florist of New Jersey, USA.

28. Lily says:

Love the trend and the looks you created!!

xo Lily

29. I hardly leave a response, however i did some searching and wound
    up here Fashion Friday: Neutral Uniform + Investment Necklace

30. Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m planning to start my own blog in the near future but
    I’m having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution
    and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout
    seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something
    unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had