Go See: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Yesterday was rainy and grey (what’s new in New England) so Andrew and I went to the movies to see Wes Anderson’s newest film The Grand Budapest Hotel. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my top 10 favorite movies and truly is what made me fall head over heels for Wes’s amazing work- the sets, the dry humor mixed with serious moments, the incredible cameos.  But since then I haven’t been quite as charmed by his newer films like Moonrise Kingdom (I know, I know- so many people loved it- and it had it’s moments- but it’s not one I want to watch over and over).

This film however, was AWESOME. Seriously, AWESOME.

It’s hysterically funny, a visual feat for the eyes and a truly and thoroughly fun escape from the world. Of course, in true Wes Anderson style, the sets, costumes and details are all amazing. I cannot even fathom how wild it would be to have a brain as creative as his. Magical.  Here are some still from the film to help convince you to go see it.
The-Grand-Budapest-Hotel-Poster

I love how much pink Wes uses.

item9-rendition-slideshowwidehorizontal-grand-budapest-hotel-set-10-vintage-photocrom

The COLORS!!!

grand-budapest_2813768b

The sets could not be more breathtaking.

movies-the-grand-budapest-hotel-still-04

grand-budapest-hed

item4.rendition.slideshowWideVertical.grand-budapest-hotel-set-05-lobby-german-jugendstil-decor-750x562

item8.rendition.slideshowWideHorizontal.grand-budapest-hotel-set-09-arch-laden-bathouse-1900s

Tilda Swinton is nearly unrecognizable and Ralph Fiennes is pitch perfect.  He’s such an incredible actor- he can do comedy, drama AND Voldemort. I mean….

the-grand-budapest-hotel-image-1

More pink. I want to go to Mendl’s.

grand-budapest-hotel-tony-revolori-saoirse-ronan

GrandBudapest

Whats amazing is that even in scenes that last five seconds, like this birthday party, the attention to detail is spectacular.

item7.rendition.slideshowWideHorizontal.grand-budapest-hotel-set-08-birthday-party-room-750x500

This movie has the most amazing cast, the true definition of ensemble made up of Wes Anderson regulars and a few new faces.

item2.rendition.slideshowWideHorizontal.grand-budapest-hotel-set-03-german-shop-jeff-goldblum-750x500

pudabest

hr_The_Grand_Budapest_Hotel_18-750x576

hr_The_Grand_Budapest_Hotel_17-750x552

There is a perfume in the film that makes an appearance often. Of course Wes had an actual scent made for the film custom by Nose, a Paris perfumerie even though no one could smell it but the actors. I love that. You can smell it if you happen to be IN Paris and go to the shop, but of course, you can’t buy it. Drat.

140220_EYE_1.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge

Wes has a thing for luggage, and the best set had to be in Darjeeling Limited which was made custom by Louis Vuitton for the film, but in this film the trunks were made by Prada and decorated the windows of one of their shops recently.

prada_the-grand-budapest-hotel_berlin-3

Of course I had to pull a few things together that can help your home feel a little more like a Wes Anderson set- because lets be honest, who wouldn’t want to live in his magical world?

WES ANDERSON INSPIRED DECOR

wesandrerson

1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5. // 6. // 7. // 8. // 9. // 10. // 11. // 12. // 13. // 14. // 15.

21 Responses to “Go See: The Grand Budapest Hotel”

1. CaroDewG says:

I agree 100%!! A visual treat! A great escape! Kudos to Texas born and educated Wes Anderson.

2. Karena says:

So excited to see this film Erin!!

xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

3. Hillary says:

The NY Times did a fun article a few weeks ago about people who were inspired by Wes Anderson when decorating their homes. Fun piece.

4. this looks great, thanks for the rec. We ended up seeing ‘Noah’ this weekend which I would NOT recommend. Wish we saw this one instead.

5. Quiana says:

Dreary here in NYC too and saw this poster yesterday while catching Miyazaki’s final film. Next up is this one for sure! Also love that children’s party as inspiration for my kids.

6. Katrina says:

Saw this movie this weekend, it was amazing! I loved every single second of it.

7. Patricia says:

We picked a drizzly day in Seattle to see the film and loved loved loved it too! I wouldn’t say it was a comedy exactly or a drama or an adventure but all of the above and much more. I’d call it a confection; much like Mendl’s delightful pastries…

8. jillian says:

yes! so glad you liked it, it’s on my to-see list :) xo jillian – cornflake dreams

9. andrea says:

I’m (im)patiently waiting for the kids to go back to school so I can treat myself to this movie.
    I loved Moonrise Kingdom, and I can’t believe that I haven’t seen The Royal Tenenbaums yet. Must check out.
    I would LOVE to see behind the scenes of the set direction and that whole process. Shoot, I would even bring coffee to the assisstant just to be a part of that. Brilliant!

10. Lily says:

I feel the same way about Wes Anderson, so was wondering whether this would be a hit or a miss! Glad for the recommendation!

xo Lily

11. Charleigh says:

beautiful. And I love what you pulled together for decorating inspiration. You’re always so good Erin.

12. Ellie says:

I saw it yesterday too and what a jewelbox of color and design!! I couldn’t drink in enough of the gorgeous sets and costumes. Glad you loved it too :)

13. Hello are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog
    world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
    Do you need any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

14. tina says:

So glad you posted a positive review! I was debating, but now I’ll definitely go and see it.

15. I saw it last week and am still thinking about it! What a visual masterpiece and the actors were all amazing. Only Wes could have so many amazing actors returning to take part in each of his films! If you are interested, check out my post which discusses some similar interiors from Mary McDonald, Ruthie Sommers, and of course, Miles Redd that have similar color schemes as Wes’ sets! Here is the link: http://allthebigandsmallthings.blogspot.com/2014/03/design-inspiration-grand-budapest-hotel.html

Can’t wait for your book to come out!

16. Karolina says:

I loved the movie as well! Funny but in a witty way, amazing actors, remarkable sets. Really worth watching.

17. franki says:

YOUR selections are “pitch perfect!!” franki

18. Saw it last night! So charming! I adored the red lacquered walls in the elevator, the pink color of the bakery truck and their minty blue bakers uniforms. So much inspiration!

19. jdj says:

I agree with your critique and loved this movie too (and The Royal Tennenbaums)

20. Whitney L. says:

I loved Moonrise Kingdom and my favorite of his is Royal Tennenbaums but I just didnt love this one. I think it just creeped me out a little too much. I still remain a huge Wes fan!

21. Andi says:

I absolutely LOVED this movie! Couldn’t stop laughing the entire time!!!