Let’s Look At: The Windsor Chair

Windsor chairs are a historic style (first made in the 1700′s) that still are popular today.  But not just in country style homes, there are so many modern interpretations not only from current furniture makers but also from the 50′s and 60′s. These chairs offer clean lines and work with a variety of dining tables and decor.  Let’s take a look at some room utilizing this long-standing style:

Modern meets traditional:

b98938a6b40324854cbc014abbf66ffc

I love this traditional country room because it has such simplicity that it sneaks into modern territory:

d5b185713900717eb9ee807e9085456b

Light grey painted chairs are subtle and classic:

3292fd1bb221a3c6541f938e5f3f1cfa

I love these two rooms- one employing more classic chairs within a modern room and another (right) with more modern lines all around.

d31d85995e8a83e315c5b5bc7793ffe3dc7bbda59f8a0e25e4532f3fbda558fb

I love the spindles of these modern Windsor chairs with a sleek Parson’s table and patterned rug.

f48d11ba4a90993f26c52ad67987009e

Super traditional:

1fca8d4585809724bc314b8e0407f616

Here’s a group of Windsor chairs I love:

These at left are by Serena & Lily and come in a variety of colors (and are only $158). They are modern but based in tradition so they’d go with any style decor- from a farm table to a sleek marble Tulip. Ethan Allen has a taller version at right you can customize in lots of colors (my parents used these in a marina blue at their new beach house and they are great!)

CH54-06_5RenderImage.aspx

These are more traditional and I’m loving the detail on the back!

Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 6.14.36 PM

Crate & Barrel also has an amazing selection of colors- the mint ones at left are my FAVORITE!

willa-mint-side-chairwilla-yellow-side-chair

A glossy black classic style and a modernized, shortened version by O&G Studio.

imgScreen Shot 2014-02-19 at 6.04.06 PM

Crate & Barrel’s Paola Navone tall version (also available in short) another O&G Studio version.

riviera-black-tall-windsor-side-chairScreen Shot 2014-02-19 at 6.03.54 PM

A set of four 1950′s Swedish chairs found on 1stDibs.

X

This Etsy chair has a faux bamboo detail that’s really cool (and is custom made in the USA in your choice of color!)

il_570xN.220033675

Left, a tall West Elm modern version and right, a vintage one from Etsy with cool detailing.

img2il_570xN.512928382_2tnj

This Anthropologie version would be great in the corner of a bedroom.

img3

16 Responses to “Let’s Look At: The Windsor Chair”

1. Amy says:

I love Windsor chairs! My mom has a set I’ve always wanted to steal and paint black! Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Meredith says:

I haven’t been myself, but I’m hoping to visit Windsor Chairmakers (http://www.windsorchair.com) in Lincolnville, ME one day. If you ever make it that far up the coast of Maine, it’s supposed to be amazing!

3. I love the Anthropologie version! It’s just different enough. I love this post, so cool to learn some history behind a piece that I always see around and knew nothing about.

4. Ok, this is too weird. Yesterday I ordered new chairs to replace ones that look just like the ones in the 4th photo (the left one of the two photos together). I painted two of our set of 4 black over the summer, but the other two are in terrible condition. They belonged to my grandma and are probably 50 years old and came with a matching (yet sadly melamine-topped) table. Now I’m left wondering if I should make more of an effort to repair them! It’s great to see them with a modern table.

5. I’ve always loved a traditional Windsor chair. I’m now falling in love with the modern and colorful versions. They’re so youthful and fresh.

6. G says:

Love my set of Windsor chairs- I don’t think anything looks better with a long farm table. I love the contrast of rounded backs peaking out and the square lines of the table. What a cool post about a seriously under-appreciated chair- so over upholstered EVERYTHING.

7. I love windsor chairs! They are such an iconic chair that I dont think they will ever go out of style.

8. Teresa says:

Check out the new Ikea Trendig 2013 dining chair!

9. such great picks! love the mint green one as well as the tall west elm version.

10. Cheryl says:

totally unrelated but do you ever shop at Viola Lovely? We have one here on the North Shore..I could so easily see you loving the shop..I hear they are having a sale…absolutely love your work and am looking forward to your book..cheers!

11. Diane says:

Great selection. Check out paintedfurniturebarn.com as they have some really nice options as well.

12. I love how these can look so updated in the right room…think it’s all about the table and lighting you choose. I mean those ones on 1st Dibs you found…gorgeous.

13. Sally says:

The Windsor chair is undoubtedly a classic, but am I the only one who thinks they are hideously uncomfortable? I like a dining chair that encourages people to linger at the table long after dinner has finished, and for me, these just don’t tick that box.

14. Vincent says:

Thanks for tagging our yellow birdcage Windsor. We craft our benchmade Windsors in a range of period designs with traditional colonial wood working tools. We have a special place in our hearts for this American Classic http://www.chiconecustomfurniture.com/period-furniture/windsor-chairs/

15. The situation in dreams, nightmare or night terrors is the fact that they are often all primarily relevant to the private message provides for any man or woman experiencing the dream. Two folks have a very much the same dream but suggest different things relating to each other. And so you must keep an objective balance when examining the material in the dream.