Trend Explosion

We all spend lots of time pinning and pulling images of things we like, rooms that make us swoon and inspirational spaces.  But sometimes you can learn a lot by studying rooms you DON’T like.  I actually ask some clients to pull images of spaces they hate alongside ones they love because together they create a clear picture of what they want out of their space.

So here is a space that I straight up dislike. And no surprise, it’s a Kardashian home (not a fan of them, AT ALL) via Domaine Home. So let’s take a gander at Kourtney’s home, shall we….

Here’s the thing about this house, EVERYTHING is a statement. Everything. There is no place for your eye to rest and make the next statement feel special. It’s just an assault on your eyeballs in every square foot of space.  You know I love black and white stripes but this room is TOO much with the patterned floor as well and the crazy lighting topping it off.

05-entrytolivingroom

MORE stripes! This room feels a little less offensive to me but again, with the bold art and the urchin light fixture it’s all just too much for me.

07-musicroom

OMG, this kills me. The rug plus the wallpaper plus the primary colored sculpture and art. This is exactly what I would show someone if they asked me what I disliked in a home. Let the wall be the statement and pair it with simpler, classier art and accessories! GAH.

02-stairway

This room isn’t horrible on it’s own- I like the chandelier a lot and the chairs and fabric on the roman, but the host chairs make no sense to me.

09-dining

Again, this isn’t horrendous but it is the point where I start wondering if there is wallpaper in EVERY room. I dig the black chairs though.

11-familyroom

Yup, there is definitely wallpaper everywhere. With a traditional patterned backsplash this wallpaper feels all wrong. Forced, if you will. And the modern lights look off with the country cabinetry and curved bar top.  This to me reads as “we didn’t want to pay to change the cabinets so we’ll just throw a bunch of modern stuff everywhere instead.”  You CAN make traditional cabinetry look mroe modern, but it has to be subtler than this.  Don’t try to make a space something it’s not.

10-kitchen

MORE wallpaper. I love wallpaper as much as the next girl, but you CANNOT use it in every room! Make it special and pick a couple rooms to use it in.  When you use bold, trendy items in every space nothing feels special or “wow”.  Also, if you do this your home will feel dated the second the wallpaper glue dries. Maybe that’s why she’s selling the house!

15-masterbathroom

Patterned wallpaper, patterned drapes, patterned sofa AND rug. It’s all just too much for me. This much going on in every space makes me anxious.

13-masterbedroomseating_horizontal

I like the black walls and the rug and maybe even the desk chair, but this room to me just screams “2013 trends!!!!”

19-office

This pretty much sums it up for me (if only I had an Anthony to yell it for me).

tumblr_mgwkqwsoAJ1rctctpo1_r1_400

What do you guys think? What are your least favorite trends?

74 Responses to “Trend Explosion”

1. It’s awful! Just proves yet again that Money can’t buy taste!! Imagine being drunk or hungover… Yuk Yuk Yuk!!!

2. Natalie says:

I would have been interested to read the comments on this had you not mentioned who the home belonged to. I sense quite a few of them would have been different.

I too am a little over all the snark these days, regardless of whether someone is a public figure or not.

3. pve says:

D. All of the above.
    Where is the restraint? One trend might be fine, but using them all in one room seems too much of all of the above.
    pve

4. April says:

The Victorians had an expression, “It’s not done until its overdone”. Over the top decor is hardly new. If one works in a field, he/she is aware of whether a room screams”2013 trends”, but the general population doesn’t know or care. They know what they like, however, and if they have the funds to indulge their taste for the overdone they will; and if an interior designer wants to work they will undoubtedly accommodate. Its nothing more than personal taste. I know their are good design principles, but everyone isn’t burdened with these concerns, especially while decorating their personal space. I actually really like the last pic of the study, the room that screams design trend 2013, and I can’t even pick out the trends, which must say something about how “design savvy” I am. That is why I read design blogs, not to learn the celebrity likes and dislikes of the author. I wish you the best, Erin, but I think you do a bit of injustice to yourself with the “snarky” posts. Perhaps you believe it brings entertainment value to the blog, and perhaps it does. Just not my reason for tuning in.

5. Surely she’s learned so much from this house the next one will be leaps and bounds more refined.

6. Elizabeth McKnight says:

I know that house from my TV episodes!!!!! Absolutely agree with it being way way too much!!!

7. Babs says:

Maybe her designer was Bobby Trendy from the Anna Nicole Smith Show!! Just kidding.

8. Jenny says:

I’m with Erin. And, I generally don’t comment, but can’t help but find people to be overly sensitive to honest criticism. I hardly find this post snarky. She’s clear about her likes and dislikes. It’s not personal.

9. Erin says:

I have to be honest, I don’t think I am being “snarky” here. We are all entitled to our opinions and I think I voiced them with the intention of showing readers how to use spaces you don’t like to hone in on your own taste. There is nothing personal here just opinion. If you think that voicing your opinion is not what blogs are about you are mistaken. This is my blog, my voice and my opinion. I have no interest in censoring my thoughts for fear someone may find me “snarky”. ESPECIALLY about the Kardashians!

10. Jen says:

It’s Erin’s opinion, people. Go elsewhere if you cannot handle a little colorful, FUNNY, commentary. “You just lost a reader”? PLEASE. I am sure Nicole and the other haters (who claim not to tolerate “hating”) are back today for more! Keep it up Erin!

11. Mary says:

Yikes!! It almost stresses me out to be looking at so much stimulation! Too Much! I agree. Less is most often times, more.

12. Rebecca Farnsworth says:

How is Erin snarky here and not when she does the red carpet reviews? This didn’t feel personal…she even pointed out stuff she does like…it was a review. Like a movie, a book, or anything else. Here is what I liked and what I didn’t. That is all. If this was the worst the Kardashian’s had to take I think they would send Erin on a trip to Paris. Lighten up people!

Cheers!

RF

13. diane says:

This world is so worried about being PC that we forget that we all enjoy the freedom of speech. That being said, I already saw the spread on this house and agreed that many of the rooms were horrific and felt the black and white was just a bit overdone. But I also enjoyed the pops of color that were added in the artwork and accessories and while I could not live in this house I sincerely hoped it represented the family who does live there. One question, what is up with all the teepees? Are they toys or am I missing out on some new zen trend?

14. Erin says:

Thank you so much for this. I kept seeing “OMG… I love Kourtney Kardashian’s home!!” and thinking, “But why?”

15. coby says:

This house feels so cheap! It’s like she paid a professional to buy all of Z Gallerie.

The only one I’m somewhat OK with is the second to last room. It’s a ton of pattern (and patterns that don’t really make sense together), but for some reason it doesn’t bother me.

And the color coordinated book jackets kill me every time. EVERY TIME. I just hate this! CANNOT STAND books that are so obviously chosen for their covers. This is one of the tackiest things people are doing to their homes these days.

16. christin says:

I, for one, LOVE your snarky posts. They make my whole entire day. Anyone who says differently is just sippin’ haterade. The Kardashians are an abomination.

17. Anna Post says:

I didn’t get snark. You sound overwhelmed and baffled–which is how this house makes me feel, too. Snark would be hating on it just because of who owns it. I think this stands on its own as bad design and poor taste. (Is that subjective? Sure. But it’s an opinion and is in line with the aesthetic of this blog.) AND your entire point was to reverse engineer something you don’t like to see what could work–of which you gave examples.

18. anne says:

I think it’s too bad that an “interior designer” can’t just respect other people’s creativity and design. It’s not my taste either, but the interior design of this home reflects the taste, personality and lifestyle of the people living in it. I understand it is your blog and you can say what you want, but you are a professional designer, it’s like a musician criticizing another musician’s music because they don’t like the sound of it? Looking at spaces like this one inspires me to be creative……..I think that’s a positive thing that all kinds of artists can relate to. I’m personally tired of looking at the same old design looks that resemble hotel lobbies. Peoples homes should reflect them as people, who they are and where they have been. That is what makes interior design personal and unique, and it’s something you can’t learn at design school.

19. It’s just kind of exhausting to look at. In theory, I like a lot of the pieces separately, but together, it’s a bit much.

20. Dee says:

It was not snarky. What was written was how many of us think upon seeing such disasters!
    Also, you did pick a few pieces out of the rubble that you did like and pointed them out to us.

Dee

21. Andrew Gates says:

Feeling the need to chime in on Anne’s comment. First, why did you put interior designer in quotes? We can just pretend you don’t understand the use of quotes and not that you were suggesting Erin is not an interior designer. Second, it is absolutely appropriate for her to tell her readers, on her blog, what she doesn’t like about this place. And yes, a musician with a blog would critique music. Just as Rolling Stone does. 99% of her posts are how much she loves others work. But even then she mentions things she doesn’t like. What is amazing to me is that everyone who has commented that it is snarky, or rude, or not her place to say something about the design aesthetic of another IS doing that themselves with the comment!

22. Heather E says:

lol! Love the Anthony clip! Saw just the first image of this post a few days ago without reading and thought you had lost your mind or had gotten a guest blogger onto your site, because it was so NOT what I am used to seeing on your site!

23. @ Coby, I read the article in INstyle Mag and the books were actually those of her parents and deceased father. She removed the jackets and color coordinated the books from there. Other things like the piano and the kitchen chairs and office desk were also that of her late father.

The tents are a perfect way for parents to let their kids enjoy an adult space. They can keep all their toys inside and not clutter the whole living room floor with them. They make some very neat tents that compliments grown up designs.

I am glad Kourtney decorated her home the way she wanted it. She specifically said she wanted to have fun in her first house and I feel that is what she accomplished. I like it. Would I want to have every room in my own? no but it works for her home and her space.

24. [...] see in Kourtney Kardashian’s new home…. when they are completely overdone. Erin from Elements of Style first brought this home to my attention last week and I have been seeing these images everywhere [...]