Runway to Room: Valentino

I love translating fashion from the runway into interior decor- it really stretches my design muscles and allows me to think outside the box. When I saw this Valentino look I was SO drawn to the unexpected color combo! This look isn’t exactly one I’d rock to go to a meeting, but I adore the unique mix of light blue, merlot and leopard with gold and black accents. I wanted to try to replicate this interesting combination in a living room….

THE OUTFIT:

LUX_5408.450x675

THE ROOM:

blog

I typically don’t use the color cranberry/merlot in homes, it always feels so dated to me, but in this application of a velvet sofa against a grey blue wall anchored by a leopard wool carpet I think it works!  It’s a rich, luxe space that has a few statements and combines modern and traditional items. I never would have thought to try to put these colors together in a space, proving that looking to the runway can help your creativity when decorating!

1. //2. // 3. // 4. // 5. // 6. // 7. // 8. // 9. // 10. // 11. // 12. // 13. // 14. // 15. // 16.

15 Responses to “Runway to Room: Valentino”

1. This is lovely! Not a color combo I would ever imagine but it works so well! The velvet and the leopard make it so glammy, it’s wonderful!

2. Liza Miller says:

Your Runway to Room posts are so fun! I don’t like cranberry, either,(especially on the walls), but the sofa is a nice punch of color and it’s not too overbearing. This combo definitely makes a better room than outfit.

3. Hannahj says:

Not a merlot fan typically ( unless it’s drinkable;) but I am loving this combo! Beautiful translation.

4. i always love this feature on EOS.
    what a beautiful combination of colors and textures.

Molly {Dreams in HD}

5. Hollie says:

I love doing this too! The room you have created is to die for…I want it!

6. Susan says:

Love the post… these are some of my favorite posts!! Where are the horns from? Can’t find the link…

Also, and totally NOT related… no SAG fashion post?? I LOVE LOVE your fashion posts and thought people killed a few looks!! SO much better than the Globes!!

7. Hannah says:

Oooh I love it. I can kind of see what you mean by dated, but I think when you pair it with modern pieces it’s far from. It’s the perfect color when you’re looking for a good masculine/feminine balance.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

8. lola says:

i think you do one of the best jobs on the internet doing this kind of thing….my only small observation–and not to put too literal a point on it–sometimes proportions and scale of the relative elements are overlooked–like the size of the coat print vs. the rug. The coat has a big bold print and the rug kind of doesn’t. Also the beauty of this outfit is that specific blue of the shirt which activates everything else and that swatch is muted comparatively.

9. Angela says:

OMG, fab! I totally want to live in that room!

10. Before I looked at your decorating suggestions in these colours, my immediate thought was a pale blue velvet couch on a rich merlot carpet, and chairs in the leopard print. Different interpretations are interesting, and I love yours!

11. Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of
    volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same
    niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on.
    You have done a outstanding job!

12. Julia says:

Well done!!

13. franki says:

Totally cool!! franki

14. laureg says:

Thank you for this!!! I have a monster of an aubergine colored couch that I LOVE (not as merlot as above, but similar idea), but have been having so much difficulty decorating around it. I already have many similar pieces to what you’ve posted but my ideas on how to put it all together were pretty vague. Your post really gives me some concrete starting points and ideas! Thank you so much!

I love your blog, by the way, and am an avid reader. I also really enjoy how fearlessly you bring up and tackle ethical discussions, and I really appreciate all the feedback and discussion you and your commenters engage in.

15. JBK says:

Can you post where the horns are sourced from?? Love those!! Thank you, Erin!