Fashion Friday: If I Were An Oscars Stylist

I always do a Red Carpet post-mortem but this year I decided I wanted to do a post about what I would select for stars if I were in charge of dressing them! After looking at tons of the Style.com runway shows here are some of my choices:

Sandra Bullock:

1251206288_sandra_bullock_290x402

I love Sandra is formfitting slightly sporty looks to show off her insane figure. I think color really looks lovely on her too- this coral number by J. Mendel or this simple Badgley Mischka would be so lovely.

mendel0489.450x675Badgley4852.450x675

Jennifer Lawrence:

jennifer-lawrence

We all know she HAS to wear Dior, and from their dresses (which I don’t love, honestly) I would adore her in this belted red number. However, she’s worn a lot of red on the red carpet so I doubt this will what she shows up in.  I also feel like she would be SO happy to wear a dress with straps. At the Golden Globes and the SAG awards she was compaining on camera about the strapless situation she was rocking.  I also love her in dresses with a sleeker silhouette, not the ball gowns they love to put her in. She’s a young, fun, funny gal who should be comfortable!  This fitted Badgley Mischka would be ladylike but bad ass too with her short hair!

_DIO0688.450x675Badgley_Mischka_015_1366.450x675

Cate Blanchett:

220px-Cate_Blanchett_2011

This woman would seriously look amazing in a garbage bag. I’m serious. But if I were to pick something for her I love this gold and cream Valentino or this L’Wren Scott with a statement neckline to frame her regal features!

_VALENTINO0805.450x675LScott1067.450x675

Lupita Nyong’o:

kenya-actress-Lupita-Nyong’o-

The new red carpet star! She has not failed once this season and I expect she will BRING IT on Oscar night. She’s worn red and white so I am thinking gold will be her color that night (perhaps to match her award?)  This Zuhair Murag at left would be to die for on her.  But I also like her in streamlined look and I think this Jenny Packham would be simple and stunning too.

Murad7066.450x675packham7A7309.450x675

Julia Roberts:

julia-roberts-300x400

Julia likes sleeves and because of that I’d pick this Naeem Khan for her (I love her in a bohemian look) or I think this one sleeved Elie Saab would be so glamorous!

Khan6361.450x675MARC044.450x675

Amy Adams:

22nd Annual PGA Awards - Arrivals

Amy is all about the deep V this season thanks to her turn in American Hustle.  I love her on dark blue so this Elie Saab would be PERFECTION on her. But I also adore the 70′s vibe of this Badgley Mischka too!

ElieSaab019.450x675Badgley_Mischka_005_1366.450x675

Margot Robbie:

teresa-palmer-margot-robbie-vanity-fair-oscars-party-2013-04

Miss Margot is a newcomer to the red carpet and she seems to like paler colors and feminine details.  It’s a bit of a stretch but I think this coral Elie Saab would be killer and really sexy!  More in line with her style would be this violet Badgley Mischka.

ElieSaab0035.450x675Badgley5057.450x675

And because she was the worst dressed at the Globes I had to dress Zoe Saldana:

Zoe_Saldana

This girl is young, gorgeous and sexy and so I think this AMAZEBALLS Zuhair Murad zebra dress would just rock on her. Or this ombre Elie Saab.

Murad7106.450x675Saab5147.450x675

Any predictions you have for red carpet dresses??

40 Responses to “Fashion Friday: If I Were An Oscars Stylist”

1. Laura French says:

Erin, you have beautiful taste. I love all of your choices. If they listened to you they’d look a hell of a lot better tahn what they’ll probably end up with on Oscar night. Well done!

2. Lindsay says:

You are so good at this! I know interiors are your thing but you should definitely consult for some of these celebrities’ stylists.

3. Liza Miller says:

I love that you chose so many Elie Saab gowns. My Pinterest boards are full of Elie Saab selections. For some reason, I can picture J. Law rocking that ombre ES gown. Can’t wait to see how your choices compare to the red carpet.

4. Amy Florez says:

You missed your calling! Love all of these picks!!!

5. Nicole says:

Every single dress here is killer! You have such an amazing ‘eye’!!

6. Lindsay says:

SERIOUSLY. Dead ON! These women need your help! A+++++

7. franki says:

Oooh, how I love that Naeem Khan and that ombre’ number…a WINNER! franki

8. Laura says:

I would love to see any of these combos!!

9. Nancy says:

Great picks except for the caped black number. Sandra’s plastic surgery is incredible. Not over done at all. She looks gorgeous!

10. Colleda says:

I love all the gowns you picked! I want to wear them all!!

11. G says:

OUT OF THE PARK ERIN!!! Seriously, their publicists need your number stat! Love these posts every single year XOXO

12. Kim says:

Erin
    I never had time yesterday to commend you on such a well-written post, and then today I was just so entertained by this one. And then I realized that this is what separates you from the “pack”: You are passionate about so many things — the “fluff” and the “weighty” — and you’re brave enough to put yourself out there with each end of the spectrum. It makes your readers respect you on so many levels, and makes us believe that you deserve all of your hard-earned successes — current and future. Thank you!

13. alison g. says:

All I can say, is if I ever have anything as huge as the Oscars to attend, I’m calling YOU, sistah, to dress me!
    ag

14. Leah Kimbel says:

Crazy good. I’ll be watching the show now and wondering who pulled it off better, their stylists or you! ;)

15. jillian says:

LOVE your picks for sandra and margot!! xo

16. Reesa says:

I’m loving the pics for Sandra Bullock. They’re both amazing and would look amazing on her!

17. Tonya says:

Ok, I will officially be looking for a belt exactly like the one on the zebra dress. It’s just everything to me!! It was pretty much on everything in the show!

18. Ceci Bean says:

Ooh, I especially love the ones you picked for Cate Blanchett!

19. Sara says:

Erin – You have a real talent! These actresses would be lucky to have you as their stylist. I love your awards show recaps. Keep them coming.

20. Erin says:

Your blog is my favorite daily read, so I was so excited to see you post this. I had the same exact post today with some similar picks! Clearly we are meant to hang out and yell at the red carpet together. Your post yesterday was also so open and honest, thank you for always doing that on your blog. It can be the hardest thing to do in the scary, dark place that is the internet.
    Erin

21. i think that you have picked winning dresses for all the ladies. esp. cate. perfect for her.

22. Danielle says:

These celebs need to hire your STAT. Amazing choices! Gorgeous.

23. Clare says:

Okay, I never comment on these but you NAILED it! Like, I’m obsessed with all of those picks for these ladies. Completely agree about Lupita and gold (or any metallic for that matter). Margot Robbie in that Elie Saab dress (which I’ve been admiring for weeks) would be STUNNING. That coral number would be gorg on Sandra. Hate that JLa has to wear Dior cause I’m over their stuff on her…

24. Amy L. says:

Spot on. Rachel Zoe’s got nothing on you!

25. Rebecca says:

Wow!!! I love your design talent and am always impressed by your posts… I am blown away by your styling talent too!!! Love love your picks! Seriously amazing… Had to comment ;-)

26. katie hill says:

erin, i believe you missed your calling! these are spot on and should be shared with their stylists immediately!

27. Lindsay says:

I agree with above said comments you have amazing style and talent….but playing devils advocate do you not think this post is contradictory to yesterday’s? You are again displaying images of rail thin runway models

28. Claire says:

How refreshing to see a pre-Oscar (versus post) review!! You nailed it. I love your picks and equally keen eye for fashion as interiors!! Keep these great posts coming!

29. Mary says:

Erin-
    I have always loved your best dressed picks the day after awards shows. But all this eye candy? Love it even more! What a fun post!

30. Allison D says:

This was so fun! Love your selections and wish you would dress me :)

31. Friend says:

Well done!

32. Gray says:

wow. there’s no way the actual oscars red carpet will be any prettier than this post!! nice job.
    gray

33. Melissa says:

Excellent choices! Xo

34. The blue Elie Saab with the deep V… killer.

35. Hi Erin,
    A very nice informational blog.Keep on making such important blog post.Your work is really being appreciated by some one. Modern Nursery With Playful Colors For Little Angels

36. Mary says:

Really like this post!! It will be neat to see if any of your suggestions pan out.

37. Rue Le CHat says:

I would LOVE to see Julia Roberts in that Elie Saab one-shoulder. LOVE, LOVE that dress. I would also love to see Amy Adams in that navy Elie Saab ball gown. Saab can do no wrong as far as I’m concerned.

38. Rosemary says:

If I were a celebrity, I would wear Elie Saab to all the events. I love all your choices, but Amy in the navy would be amazing. And Zoe in that ombre!!! But because I’m a terrible person, I’m always hoping for at least a few catastrophes. It’s just more entertaining that way.

39. [...] out what Erin Gates, who writes for www.elementsofstyleblog.com suggests for the [...]

40. Leah says:

spot on Erin! wish you were my stylist!