Stephen Schubel Is My Decorating Spirit Animal.

There are some designers that even designers want to hire to do their homes. Stephen Schubel is one of those people for me. I have been so enamored with his work for years and am starting to see his influence in my own.  The mix of antiquities and modern classics, leopard print, lots of white and black, stripes and small doses of green all are key elements in my own home now!

This is his San Francisco loft where he runs his design company- you saw it in Domino YEARS ago (2008 I think).  That ceiling height and light is just spectacular.

project_10_01

o_52697d329ac35fe502de4d61

Of course, you know I was heavily influenced by these stairs…..

project_10_04

o_52697d349ac35fe502de4d63

I love that he has a sleeping loft in his office in case he works too late. If my office wasn’t two miles from my house I’d like this too!

o_52697d379ac35fe502de4d65

this might be the one and only time I’ve liked fringe on the skirt of a sofa.

o_52697d2f9ac35fe502de4d5f

project_10_02

I mean, wouldn’t you kind of hope for food poising so you could hang in this bathroom for hours on end?

o_52697d369ac35fe502de4d64

Even the back patio is simply perfect.

o_52697d309ac35fe502de4d60

This is his fisherman’s cottage in Sausalito, which you can see continue the same palette from the office. Just when I start thinking I need to add more color to my house, I revisit these two spaces and feel totally justified.

project_08_02

project_08_01

I just want to sit here with some tea and read for hours.

project_08_11

project_08_07

project_08_03

When I was little I dreamed of a bed like this! I still get a little giddy looking at it.

project_08_10

Man, I am really realizing how much influence I’ve taken from his work looking at all these pictures….

project_08_12

Moody, dark and awesome.

project_08_14

Get the look of Stephen’s work with some of these items:

14 Responses to “Stephen Schubel Is My Decorating Spirit Animal.”

1. i would live in that black and white bathroom and be totally ok with it.
    sooo beautiful and eclectic!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

2. Rachel says:

Erin- Any chance you know what white paint Jeffrey used on a lot of the walls in these photos, particularly the planked walls near the bottom? Would love to know wall and trim color if you have it!

3. Liz says:

Ha, I’m at the office and that title just made me laugh out loud. Girl, you’re going to get me fired! :) Love Stephen’s work. I’m pretty much a neutral girl as well but find that I’m really struck by contrast which makes neutrals really stand out in my opinion. I love these design crush posts. It’s always so interesting to see who a designer is inspired by. Happy Tuesday!

4. Patricia says:

I want that little bed nook with the wonderful black and white stripe curtains. Right now!

5. Karena says:

HI Erin,
    Each and every room here including Stephen’s Studio is superb. His design aesthetic thrills me!

xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

6. His style really is spot on. Domino recently instagramed the pic of his sleeping loft…..and i died…its perfection! Thanks for sharing all of his other spaces…so chic!

7. Megan says:

I’ve been trying to get a sample of that cheetah print rug for ever. I LOVE IT.

8. jillian says:

yep so many wonderful details AND layers of awesome-ness. xo jillian – cornflake dreams

9. Jennifer says:

His space is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ! He also has these cool beams on the ceiling which add to the drama of the room esp. with all that height. Great post. Love the leopard, love the stripes, love the fringe, love everything:)

10. Cathy says:

I’m telling you Erin (I’m the one who sent you that email about HAVING to watch The Graduate again)….Mrs. Robinson’s parlor/lounge. You like white, black, stripes, leopard with pops of green…it’s so you! Plus she wears a gorgeous leopard print swing coat that I think you’d kill for.

11. Erin Gates says:

Cathy- Funnily enough, I did a post about Mrs Robinson in 2011: http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/page/2?s=the+graduate I guess this has been my “thing” for longer than I realized. :)

12. Monika says:

So beautiful!! I can totally see his influence in your work!!

13. frank says:

Awesome images and he has an amazing website! Thanks for posting. Guess he likes cowhides. My kind of guy!

14. Cathy says:

Erin, that is too funny!! Great post, I clearly came later to the game for reading your blog. Better late than never :)