The New Domino

When I heard Domino was coming back as a quarterly magazine with all new content and a KILLER online presence I nearly peed my pants with excitement.  Nothing has ever compared to Domino and after perusing the first new issue, I can, with confidence tell you it’s back and just as good as it was.  With Domino veteran (and former Lonny editor-in-chief) at the helm the same vibe and aesthetic we all loved  in the original Domino is alive and well… maybe a tad more grown-up, but it has been four years and we all grow with time, right?

The feature that really nailed it for me was of the West Village townhouse owned by Haven’s Kitchen guru Ali Cayne.  Every inch of the place is just KILLER, and in a similar palette to my own home- lots of black, white, grey and wood. Of course seeing it is making me completely PANIC about the state of my own home which I’m shooting for my book this week…. but I have to just breathe and believe. But back to the good stuff- here is Ali’s place (and check out the extra content available only online):

o_52278c3b9ac35f416bb9b039

This reminds me a little of Jenna Lyon’s home.  Love the chandelier, floor, mirror and gallery wall…I just wish that rug were bigger or layered over a solid neutral larger rug.

o_52278c4e9ac35fe0693b0bcd

Some pretty details inside and out.

o_52434b209ac35ff94ba25374o_524333429ac35fd624a253b8

Ali and I are kindred spirits in our love of black and white (and striped shirts).

o_52278c589ac35feb6db9b039o_52278c499ac35f6969dbde77

SHUT. IT. DOWN. That grey trim? That tile?

o_52278c449ac35f065d60706b

I can;t even with that range and hood. I would probably sell an organ for one of those. And I absolutely adore the wood shelves with brass brackets juxtaposed against the tile. It’s seriously perfect.

o_52278c489ac35fd86bca064bo_52278c459ac35f2b7038bca6

I mean, PERFECT. PERFECT!

o_524333439ac35f6727a253b9

I once had a black accent wall behind my bed and I do love the look. Plus that light fixture? Yeah.

o_52278c569ac35f416b3f9555

Most perfect bathroom ever. That tub. The brass fittings. That little rug. Not to mention her CLOSET. It makes want to bang my head onto my computer screen in jealousy.

o_52278c499ac35f19675b02ddo_52278c4a9ac35f2865b9b039

A sleek and gorgeous office space.

o_52278c509ac35f2a671697bco_524333449ac35f7a3fa2538c

Built in heaven (earmarking this for my master suite addition starting next year) and a kid’s space that even an adult can love.

o_52278c429ac35ff86be1af77o_524353049ac35ff224a253d2

Domino is now shopable, and has it’s own online shop for furniture, accessories and the like.  But here are some items to help you get this look as well:

Congrats Michelle and team- incredible job and we are all so thrilled to have you back!

29 Responses to “The New Domino”

1. I LOVED this feature as well! The overall aesthetic and color palette of her home is just perfection, so simple but warm and inviting. The whole issue was amazing, I hope they are able to start doing more than just four issues a year. I need a monthly issue!

2. stacey says:

if i could do a backflip i would – so happy domino is back

3. So excited to have them back!

4. Can’t wait to get my hands on the new issue! So glad it is back!

5. we just unpacked all of our stuff we haven’t seen for three years here in denmark and while there were plenty of “why did i bother to pack that moments”, i was also elated to find 2005-2008 issues of domino that i somehow had the good sense to keep. their advice still ranks at the top for me and so glad to have them back!

6. Justine says:

Genius. Thanks for sharing.

7. i can’t believe i am just now hearing about this!
    gorgeous home and SO excited for the return of domino :)

Molly {Dreams in HD}

8. Megan says:

Was so happy to find this magazine front & center at Barnes and Noble! Loved this feature too and I think the office with the pinboard is my favorite.

9. What a gorgeous home! Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to get my hands on the new issue.

10. Caroline L. says:

THRILLED that they’re back. No one does it better!

11. Donna says:

I loved Domino too, but the NYT article on the relaunch last week seemed to imply that the magazine was just going to be a vessel for the goods (I THINK; maybe I should go back and reread it)which might impair the creativity of our beloved magazine a bit.

12. Sarah S. says:

I am so happy about this news! Domino is just plain special.

13. Jennifer says:

That was my favorite home, too! It’s so funny, I had the exact same reaction: it’s very similar to Jenna Lyons’ old townhouse AND it made me feel horrible about my own house, ha! And that kitchen is sooo good!!!

14. dana says:

OMG stop. that house. first, I would die for a west village walk up. CMON! dream on… and that kitchen, bedroom, closet… I saw all these photos and wanted to crawl under my sub-par office desk.

15. Michelle says:

I love reading your posts, you literally make me LOL : )

16. Christina C says:

Oh my gosh, yay Domino! I just peed my pants! ;)

17. smash says:

I completely agree!! I was so excited it was back I bought two this weekend. I adore this house too…I mean, completely amazing. I could move in today.

18. This kitchen is just killer — the open shelves are so quintessential Domino. Can’t wait to get my hands on a paper copy!

19. Oooooh. I know what I’m reading through this weekend.

20. Andi says:

BEYOND gorgeous!!!!!!

21. F says:

I love the kitchen and bathroom especially the brass fittings but I have to say the white subway and black grout reminds me of a room I once stayed in at McLean. The rest is gorgeous!

22. Franki says:

Absolutely FUN! That stove…I, too, lusted, however, it was either a car or that stove….franki

23. Holly Irwin says:

Glad to hear that Domino is back! This featured home is so perfect in black/white/gray. Love the artwork! And those herringbone floors! LOVE!
    xo
    Holly

24. Janna says:

So excited about the new Domino! Especially because my dear friend Kari’s botanical prints are featured in the magazine! So proud of her. Check out her work….it’s amazing! http://www.karihererblog.com

25. Margo says:

loving the new Domino as well! The past once were disappointing because they used old articles and repurposed. ps-Your family beach house is gorgeous.

26. Really like the decoration! So simple yet very elegant.

27. Kathleen says:

Would give an organ for the light fixture in that BR. Die. Must buy Domino issue stat.

28. Oooo can’t wait to take a few minutes (or hours) to view the new mag. The living room is definitely giving me Jenna Lyons deja vu. Totally gorgeous, though.

Hope you home shoot went well. So exciting! (As is a master suite addition ;)