Fall Craftiness: Hydrangea Wreath

My mom sent me a text the other day with this picture saying “Pretty, right?”.  I responded that the hydrangea wreath was, yes, completely gorgeous (especially against her shingled house). Turns out that crafty little Mom of mine made it. I’m not entirely, suprised seeing as she has the green thumb of all green thumbs (recall her gardens HERE).  But this is something so perfect for this time of year- pre-holiday wreath and not all full of Thanksgiving kitsch!

Photo1

So here’s how you can make one. Cut (or buy) some of those lovely purpley-green hydrangeas out right now and hang them upside down to dry for a few days. Then gather the supplies below:

wreath

Cut the stems very short on the hydrangeas.  Wrap the wreath form in the burlap ribbon, securing the ends with a T-pin. The begin pinning the dried hydrangeas onto the form using a T-pin through the short stem of each bloom. Continue until wreath is covered on front and sides (leave the back exposed- hence the burlap ribbon- so it lays flat on the door or wall you are hanging it on).  Spray the flowers with hairspray to reduce petals falling and keeping everything secure. Voila!

14 Responses to “Fall Craftiness: Hydrangea Wreath”

1. Liza Miller says:

Wow, that is so beautiful and it sounds simple to make!

2. Donna says:

Who knew about the hairspray! Not me. thanks–and that’s my favorite brand so very handy.

3. Love hydrangeas, we have a hard time growing them here in East Texas. Love this wreath.

4. Amber Murphy says:

That’s gorgeous!!! Favorite wreath ever!

5. That is so pretty! It almost looks ombre, with the colors. I normally am not a fan of wreaths but I seriously love this one.

6. Kathleen says:

That is soooo lovely. Unfortunately, I am all thumbs. The last time I tried to make a wreath, it looked like a toilet seat.

7. Andrew Gates says:

You should do more of these, perhaps with your mom, and do a video…I know you hate yourself on “TV”, but you are great and it would be fun.

8. Mom says:

Thank you– and it really is very easy. I also recommend making a hanger out of wire by looping it around the wreath form after it is covered in burlap!

9. The different shades of color you have captured in this wreath gives it so much dimension; love it!

10. Laura says:

Just pinned it to my “Designs in Mind” board. Thanks for reminding us that it doesn’t have to cost a fortune or take a ton of time to make something beautiful for your home. And, it does make for a nice transition design into Fall.

11. Beautiful! I might have to try this over the weekend. I love hydrangeas and this is so much more elegant than “kitschy” thanksgiving wreaths!

12. gayle p says:

Gorgeous – thank you and your mom for this -perfect timing! I just started making a hydrangea wreath yesterday, and was trying to figure out how to “preserve” them so that it doesn’t fall apart next week. Hairspray – Brilliant! (of course my hydrangeas are 1/10 the size and color…)

13. Franki says:

Just beautiful!! Hydrangea must be in the air…I just did a dried arrangement but gave them a “swoosh” of rose gold metallic spray paint…catches the candlelight on the dinner table. franki

14. Julia says:

Who are those garden shears by? Love the handles! Thanks!