Design Crush: Sarah Gray Miller’s Upstate NY Home

I was getting my nails done this weekend and picked up a copy of Country Living, and what do you know, this isn’t your mom’s country decorating magazine- it’s more modern country, if you will. Most of that is thanks to the young, hip editor Sarah Gray Miller.  I fell hard for the spread on Sarah’s own upstate New York home, which fit’s perfectly into my “obsessed with fall” mental state.  It also reminds me that I MUST make a pilgrimage to Hudson, NY for some antiquing!!!!

Loving the bold, over-scale floral paper in the entry.

more-is-more-sarah-gray-miller-1013-lgn-64762864

Loving the deep grey wall color and the mix of modern fabrics with traditional furniture frames.

06-more-is-more-living-room-1013-QN9lIM-lgn

“More is more- and sometimes that’s good”.

08-more-is-more-sofa-1013-lgn-86676544

What a gorgeous detail shot of a gallery wall- mixing in objects, mirrors and art always gives such great visual texture!

07-more-is-more-living-room-wall-1013-lgn-22085004

A big, open kitchen outfitting from eBay and Etsy (no joke, even the stove).

02-more-is-more-kitchen-1013-lgn-6682896

Love this plate rack and collection on white platters.

04-more-is-more-whiteware-1013-lgn-52004901

03-more-is-more-stove-1013-lgn-26567970

The blush walls remind me of my guest room- love the gallery wall of portraits.

01-more-is-more-dining-room-1013-lgn-83649464

DIE for this room and the wall color…and the bed…and that big old painting…and the painted floor. Just so much to love here!

09-more-is-more-bedroom-1013-xln

Feathers can be a great, long lasting alternative to flowers in the fall. Also simply love the way the white lamp and accessories pop off the dark wall and wood grain chest.

more-is-more-dresser-1013-lgn-24520332

Here are some finds to get the look of Sarah’s gorgeous and warm home.

16 Responses to “Design Crush: Sarah Gray Miller’s Upstate NY Home”

1. this is soooo my style. Thanks for posting.

2. Vanessa says:

That bedroom is KILLING me. So good.

3. oh my goodness this is absolutely stunning!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

4. I LOVE this. I’m a big fan of the “cluttered” look-and I mean that in a completely positive way! Like you said, sometimes more is more. I love the wall colors, the gallery wall, the mix of materials, the open shelving in the kitchen, and that guest room bed with all the blankets piled on-it just feels so homey and cozy-I’m a total sucker for that. Also that wood piece in the kitchen, with all the little library-looking drawers on it-I love that. And can we just talk about her jeans in the first picture? They are perfection.

5. ruth says:

omg i want that kitchen!

6. Erin says:

Funny you should post this today because it was just announced today as well that Sarah Gray Miller is leaving Country Living and will be replaced by Rachel Hardage Barrett of Southern Living.

7. rachel says:

thanks for sharing your reading material! must pick up a copy myself to have those images as a reference. This lady is in her element, definitely has a great eye for the old and new. I think what makes the space work so well are the white floors, it lets everything else just pop and allows the walls to go so dark. This goes into the folder for my one-day-dream-farm-house.

8. Susan says:

Hey there! Love her bed-do you think that is the Anthropologie bed or the PB Teen knock off? If it’s the PB, it looks great-better quality than in their pics online. (you can tell I’m looking for this exact bed : )

Thx!

9. smash says:

LOVE that entryway. So bold. So perfect.

10. Hi all, here every one is sharing these kinds
    of experience, therefore it’s pleasant to read this blog, and I used to go to see
    this website every day.

11. Sarah Gray says:

Thanks for all of the kind words, ladies! I did cheap out and order the PB Teen bed. It’s not everything I’d hoped for, but people always ask where I got it, so it can’t be that bad. (The bedside lamps, also from PB Teen, rock in real life.) Scored the jeans at the Goodwill in Hudson, NY, where I buy most of my clothes. Best thrift shop ever. Totally worth a trip!

12. Jennifer says:

The entry wallpaper is by Trove and it is stunning in person.

13. franki says:

I like the platters standing on “end.” franki

14. Nancee says:

I all the time emailed this blog post page to all
    my friends, for the reason that if like to read it afterward
    my friends will too.

15. Holly says:

i am catching up on your blog at the airport, i love her too and i just heard she is OUT as editor and they are moving offices (or part of them) to Birmingham! Crazy! Will be interesting to see what happens with CL!

16. Well,
    All rooms are looking so gorgeous and also unique in style.These are the best design tips for building a house.Keep posting this type of topics. Thanks for sharing…