All in the Family: The New Beach House

Over the weekend I took quick trip down to Connecticut to not only pick up some amazing side tables I had made for the shoot we’re doing of my house next week, but also to see the progress on my parent’s new beach house my Dad and his firm designed. To my amazement, it’s almost complete save for a few details and landscaping.  Look how adorable!

IMG_0283

Right down the street are a couple cute little lobster places with spectacular, quintessential New England coast views. I am pretty darn excited to have this place to escape to.

IMG_0284IMG_0281

IMG_0282

I have the task of helping them decorate this beauty.  We already ordered these great Arteriors stools and some bold marine blue Windsor chairs from Ethan Allen as well as end chairs from Williams Sonoma.  We’re working on a much bigger table, rug and lighting.

IMG_0285

I’m thinking a stripey dhurrie like this one from Serena & Lily- but maybe bringing in aqua, the other color in the scheme we’ve been playing with.

RG52_detail

The kitchen is impossibly bright with gorgeous soapstone counters with white veining. Mom and I were joking that she might need to wear sunglasses while doing dishes.

IMG_0286

The view from the sink and the vaulted ceiling in the living room.

IMG_0287IMG_0289

The colors we’re working with, like this Mally Skok fabric and Sanderson’s Ooti in Indigo.

Screen Shot 2013-07-16 at 12.45.23 PM               Ooti Indigo

The inside of their TV cabinet built in is painted Farrow & Ball’s Arsenic, one of my favorite colors and we’re thinking of adding in some throw pillows in Studio Bon’s Fuzz print to the seagrass Pottery Barn wingsbacks that flank it.

IMG_0292IMG_0291

View from the dining/kitchen area to the living room.

IMG_0295

The front door leads to the entry hall, at the end my Dad installed an old beautiful window we found at Brinfield five years ago and it looks so cool (behind it is a bar area and the pantry and laundry spaces).  To the right is the study, which Dad designed with wood trim and built ins to give it a more “old sea-captain’s house” feel.

IMG_0303IMG_0301

IMG_0302

We’re thinking of using this vintage paper my parents have stock of in their barn somewhere in here- either under the chair rail or above.

IMG_0319

I’m loving these Thomas Paul pillows for the chairs in there too!

Screen Shot 2013-07-16 at 1.03.12 PM

The first floor bath has Nantucket beadboard made of PVC wrapping all the way into the shower and a sheet of glass, half milky half clear that swings over the window for privacy and to keep water out but lets the light in.

IMG_0299IMG_0297

The first floor has a guest room (aka my room).  I already did a little board showing some ideas for this space- these will be adjusted but it’s a jumping off point!

IMG_0298

GuestRoomMainFloor

Pottery Barn headboard // Stanley side tables // Stanley dresser // India Hicks for HSN skirt & shams // John Robshaw bedding // Jaipur rug // Teil Duncan art // West Elm lamps

Here’s the master bedroom (their bath not quite done yet) and the second floor guest bath, which I love.

IMG_0314IMG_0317

The glass subway is the prettiest shade of grey-green.  The Circa sconces are nautical and fun.

IMG_0316IMG_0318

IMG_0309 IMG_0306

A cool big antique anchor my mom and I found at an antique store and the pretty stone wall at the back of the lot overlooking the harbor.

IMG_0307IMG_0308

I’ll be keeping you guys abreast on decorating progress!!!

47 Responses to “All in the Family: The New Beach House”

1. Vanessa says:

Seriously wiping the drool right now. SO gorgeous, Erin!

2. Jennifer Slattery says:

I love this! Have you ever used the beadboard in a shower before? I am loving this – its a nice change from tile, and I’m wondering if it would be easier to clean than tile with grout.

3. dana says:

love this house – it is absolutely gorgeous! so exciting for you!! I’ve always loved the look of beach houses and how bright and airy they are decorated. gorg!

4. Those views are amazing! I think you will need to wear sunglasses doing dishes!

5. Megan says:

That window from Brimfield is amazing!

6. rachel says:

Hi Erin-
    Would you mind telling me the spec on the light greeny-grey shower tile?
    Thanks!

7. Cady says:

I love the design of this whole house! It’s making me nostalgic for summers as a kid.

8. Kathleen says:

Hi,

I love it! Do you know the brand of lights above the sink area in the kitchen?

Thanks.

9. Erin says:

Kathleen those are also Circa.

10. Anna Post says:

Great house! Love the old newspaper wallpaper. Definitely go for under the chair rail–little kids will have a ball reading them.

11. Meredith says:

This is AMAZING. Holy crap… dream house.

12. Oh my goodness this is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these photos – your dad is so talented! I’m sure once his architecture is paired with your interior design ideas these spaces will be perfect. Can’t wait to see more photos of the decorating process!

13. What an wonderful house! An incredible place to escape to :)

14. Meghan S says:

First, the light in that place makes me drool….what I would give! Its all gorgeous though, and actually I just want to thank you/your dad for solving a major issue I was having in my own home. I have an old window in our shower that my builder and I have been pondering how to make water safe without replacing with an ugly vinyl window. Hooray, I know what we’ll do know; )

15. Katherine says:

This is amazing!!! Reminds me of a Country Living spread of a house in Nantucket. I love this! What white paint did you use for the walls throughout?

16. Dawn says:

In LOVE with every picture — and in LOVE with how I can picture this home being so easily lived in — kudos to your Dad for his wonderful design. I have to thank you for the swinging glass window cover in the bath — we have the same issue and I’ve been racking my brain for a practical yet clean look. I’m totally stealing this idea – not the first design idea I’ve ever stolen from your blog ;) – thank you!!

17. What a lovely home! I love the color schemes you’re considering and the finishes. They’re spot on without being too “beachy”. I can’t wait to see the final results.

18. Kathleen says:

Where did you find that coffee table in the LR? Love. It.

19. Are you kidding me with this place? It is absolutely stunning. All of your ideas for it sound completely perfect. I love the bar stools so much, I want those for my apartment! Anyway super excited to see the design process as you do it, although it’s already just incredible the way it is. Your father is so talented, guess it runs in the family!

20. Hillary says:

Love love love!

21. Vicki says:

I’m open to adoption! :)

22. debra says:

fabulous!!! you are nailing it!!!

23. Chris says:

Not a bad problem to have…wearing sunglasses while doing the dishes! Fantastic beach house!

24. michelle says:

it looks amazing! can i move in?

25. Hilary says:

I noticed that the stove doesn’t have an overhead vent hood. We’re facing a similar issue in our kitchen. What vent option did they choose instead?

26. Wow Erin, that is truly the perfect beach house! It’s already completely stunning and idyllic. Can’t wait to see photos once it’s complete!

27. So amazing! I love the whale pillow. I can’t help but think of Moby Dick when it comes to the New England coast. How exciting!

28. What a dream of a home! Love everything you’ve picked so far!

29. Sue says:

Wow Erin, it looks amazing! No surprise since your mom was in good hands with you as her designer.
    In an interesting coincidence, my parents are moving into their new house in Clinton, CT next week. They’ve been renting a cottage down the street from it so we’re heading up this weekend to see the progress. They just started bringing in furniture today! I’ll have updates on my blog, SueAtHome.com next week.
    (And PS – all of us at Ladies’ Home Journal loved your piece about teenagers! It was brilliant.)

30. Patsy says:

Wow, wow, wow! I have pinned almost every picture – truly gorgeous!

31. Ana Antunes says:

Wow I’m all awwwss with the whole house, the view, your dad’s achitectural details and the turquoise chairs outside… ohhhh those are gorgeous. Just dying over the color! So happy for your parents to find such an amazing house. You know I’m his fan too, even more after meeting him in Paris!!

32. F says:

I am in love! The little star detail above the window is so amazing!

33. Dawna Jones says:

OOOHHH Erin how quintessential Nantucket! I’m very excited to know that beadboard comes in PVC. I have been trying for years to talk clients into also painting “SOMETHING” Arsenic, as I adore this color also!

34. Franki says:

A “dream come true” home!! Can’t wait to see the decorated end result!! franki

35. Linda says:

WOW! The house looks really amazing!!!!

36. smash says:

Absolutely beautiful! What a talented family!

37. when can i come visit? Beautiful home, especially love the vintage paper wallpaper.

38. Gray says:

love love love all of it.
    especially the mally skok fabric, and the kitchen windows, and the shower window, and the wood study, and the light filled great room, and the stools in the kitchen, and……….

39. diane says:

So cute! I would love to see a hint of gorgeous coral in there and check out paintedfurniturebarn.com for great painted furniture pieces that will fit perfectly. Just discovered them. Your dad is one talented guy!

40. ali says:

umm – wow. STUNNING. Dream house.

41. pve says:

so glad my sister said “Did you see Erin’s parent’s beach house” gasp.
    pve

42. Wow. That is simply amazing. It’s everything you picture when you think “Beach House”…or Heaven they’re very interchangeable. Connecticut is nice. Go UConn!

43. Silvia says:

Question!

The range looks to be in the peninsula(?) will a hood be added later, are they going hood-less, or downdraft? I am facing this same placement with my kitchen remodel and would love to eliminate the vent hood… thank you!!

44. Meg says:

Please tell me more about the countertops, how did u clean and maintain?

45. It’s absolutely gorgeous! I’m so jealous!

46. Marianne SW says:

Could you please say where those beautiful adirondack deck chairs are from?