Emmys Red Carpet Breakdown

OK, guys. I have to say, I missed a lot of the Emmy’s red carpet. Andrew was all about football and I admittedly kind of forgot while busily prepping for a big shoot this week and attempting to make a butternut squash lasagna.  But the pictures showed me enough to do a full recap of the fashions.  I think the more “mature” ladies KILLED it this year.  With age does come wisdom- and increasingly better taste, if these pictures show us anything.

Can Kerry Washington do anything wrong on the red carpet? On anyone else this dress may have looked too pretty, pretty princess but on her it looks funky and cool.  And while I typically am not a big fan of this whole crop top trend, I think Rose Byrne looked so great (despite the meh hair color, much prefer her as a brunette).

rs_634x1024-130922190448-1024.Kerry-Washington-EMMYS2-jmd-092213_copy_2rs_634x1024-130922165820-634.Rose-Byrne-EMMYS-jmd-092213_copy

LOVE both Laura Dern’s coral lace gown and I don’t think Allison Janney has looked this good, well, EVER. I think she looks incredible! These amazing ladies over 40 looking better than most of the 20-somethings.

150_1713_350rs_634x1024-130922162933-634.Allison-Janney-Emmys.ms.092213

Christine Baranski is SO awesome and this dress is just as much so.  Love the cut, love the simplicity, love it all. Michelle Dockery makes it interesting in this two toned red and burgundy dress. I would have loved her hair done a little different. Loving the shoes and the clutch though. And when is Downton coming back on???

150_1678_350rs_634x1024-130922170126-634.Michelle-dockery-emmy.s92213_copy

Cobalt blue SO stands out on the red carpet and these two both wore it SO well. I adore how so many women let simple cuts and solid colors make the real statement instead of gimmicky details.

150_1734_350150_1746_350

These two. Forever and always. I worship them and I thought both looked pretty fabulous.  Especially Tina- hot damn with that figure!

rs_634x1024-130922171145-634.Tina-Fey-Emmys.ms.092213150_1730_350

Jane Lynch’s tuxedo and tassel necklace is pure streamlined chic. Plus that striped clutch? Hell yes. And look at Homeland’s Damien Lewis and his wife cutting a pretty darn sharp figure in classic silhouettes. Love the neckline on that gown and that CLUTCH! Such a good pairing!

150_1742_350150_1764_350

I thought Elizabeth Moss’s hair and makeup were perfect, giving her a little edge. I like the concept of the gown, but not the sequined skirt. It felt, and looked, SO heavy to me.  As for Claire Danes, I am just not into the whole faux bob thing. It looks so stiff.  And while I like the gown on it’s own, on her figure I think it did her body shape no favors. Same with the skin tone color.

rs_634x1024-130922164108-634.Elizabeth-Moss-EMMYS-jmd-092213_copyrs_634x1024-130922171304-634.Claire-Danes-EMMYS-jmd-092213_copy

More middle of the road looks- Zooey Deschanel looks pretty for sure, but like she’s dressing up like someone else. It’s a little too “lady who lunches” for someone with so much spunk.  Kate Mara is on one of my favorite shows, House of Cards, and I am so digging the concept of this top and skirt idea but something feels a little off, I think it’d the width of the stripes in the top.

150_1682_350150_1747_350

And while we are speaking about the sheer trend, here are two examples- Lena Headley looks sexy, but I still don’t love it. Especially the white shoes that look bulky. Amazing strappy, ankle wrap black ones would have been so much better.  And Julianne Hough again with a swing and a miss. It would have been SO much prettier with a fully lined skirt.

150_1694_350150_1736_350

I just could not get behind the purple.  This particular shade of it looks totally cheap and prom-y to me. Purple looks best in a rich plum tone or a silvery violet, in my humble opinion.

150_1741_350150_1687_350

Blondes in light pink- it’s tough.  January Jones’ dress just fell so flat for me- the lace, the color.  In a bold color maybe the cut would be better?  There was SOMETHING I liked about Julie Bowen’s dress, had it been like, 20% less “ruffley”.  It felt a little too fussy.

150_1756_350rs_634x1024-130922173122-634.Julie-Bowen-EMMYS23-jmd-092213_copy

What is it with the teeny tiny boob area of these two dresses??? They look like SUCH an ill fit on both these women!!

150_1732_350rs_634x1024-130922152310-634-zosia-mamet-emmy.ls.92213_copy_2

UGH with the high neck sheer lace.  Aubrey Plaza’s ensemble is light years better than Amanda Peet’s trainwreck of a dress. Can we please find her a new stylist???? I volunteer! Seriously, she’s so pretty and she keeps showing up in Grandma’s cast offs.

rs_634x1024-130922151327-634-aubrey-plaza-emmy.ls.92213_copy_2rs_634x1024-130922154750-634-amanda-peet-emmy.ls.92213_copy_3

Below the waist Jessica Pare’s dress maybe could have been cute, but the top of it….no. Not flattering or pretty.  And I almost missed Anna Faris’ dress (which I saw on TV) because she did SO much work on her face she looks like she’s wearing a mask! Isn’t she younger than me? Why?? Also, I’m pretty sure Amanda Bynes has that same wig.

rs_634x1024-130922163233-634.Jessica-PareEmmys-ms.092213rs_634x1024-130922162848-634.Anna-Farris-EMMYS-jmd-092213_copy

The two worst- Lena Dunham. Oh Lena. What can I say? This whole situation is just not working for you. But I ain’t mad at ya. ;)

And Paula. What is she wearing?? And get that lady some powder STAT.

rs_634x1024-130922170604-634.Lena-Dunham-EMMYS-jmd-092213_copy150_1728_350

Who were your favorites and least favorites??

31 Responses to “Emmys Red Carpet Breakdown”

1. Best was Kerry Washington and worst was Lena Durham.

2. Lindsey says:

I’m shocked you didn’t mention your favorite stylish tv character from House of Cards Robin Wright Penn. I liked her dress even tho I don’t typically like the high collar dresses.
    My other favorites are Kaley Cuoco, Rose Byrnes and Carla Gugino…loved her asymmetrical red dress.
    I HATE the sheer dresses that look like they’re wearing granny panties underneath. why, why, WHYYY???

3. ***snort*** those last two are hilarious. Fav is Christine Baranski.

4. UrbanGrape says:

The dress that made me think “I must tweet something to Erin immediately” was Claire Danes awful awful, ill-fitting, pec-showing, looking-like-it-was-about-to-slip-right-off, so-pale-I-couldn’t-even-see-it, dress.

5. Shelley says:

Your red carpet breakdown posts are my favs. That is all.

6. You are spot on! I think I agree with everything you wrote! Rose Byrne was my absolute favorite.

7. Erin says:

Kerry Washington can do no wrong in my book and I just flat out worship Tina Fey and Amy Pohler. Carrie Underwood, who I normally love, looks like she should be going to the prom.

8. Tatiana says:

Tell me you saw Aaron Paul and his wife Lauren. They were my favorite. Granted, I think they could have worn track suits and I’d have said it was respectful and elegant. I am admittedly obsessed with his talent, her somehow nailing a perfect 20 something woman that isn’t annoying, and their adorableness.

LOVED each of your observations. Especially your forgiveness of my beloved Lena Dunham. I can’t help but find it empowering that as always being the first to make fun of herself, she somehow gets a pass to do whatever she wants. She sincerely does not care what we think and God bless, it inspires me. You OWN those dumpy dresses, girl!!

9. Allison says:

tina fey is everything – she knows what works for her & sticks with it, love that. and i’ve got your back with the whole amanda peet thing – she is too pretty to dress so poorly!

10. Barchbo says:

I KNEW we would agree about Claire Danes! It gave me some relief.

Allison Janney was my hands-down favorite of the night. Looks exactly like herself, just better. She killed it.

11. Marisa says:

I think a lot of these could be improved — but not saved completely unfortunately — with some better tailoring, especially in the tops. Claire Danes, Julianne Hough, and even Lena could be improved with the straps/tops pulled up or taken in! I think they take these looks first shown on super-tall models and forget that it’s not just the bottom that needs to be shortened but the whole proportion of the dress.

Is it just me, or is Kate Mara’s dress too close to the white one she wears in House of Cards? I like that it’s edgy but it just seems like a fancier version of the one from the show.

My favorite is Michelle Dockery, hands down — the color combo makes it modern, but the cut and full skirt make it so classic.

12. Colette says:

I liked the neckline of Mindy Kaling’s dress.
    It’s nice to see ‘normal’ size girls rocking it!

13. Kathleen says:

And it was also nice to see Morena Baccarin (Brody’s wife on Homeland) rockin’ it at 8 or 9 months pregnant.

14. Nikki says:

Kerry Washington and Claire Danes were my favs!! Julianne Hough could have been fab but am not keen on the see through business. Meanwhile downtown returned to our screens Sunday. (Don’t know if it is the same in the US…am in London :)).

15. Rebecca W says:

I always look forward to your red carpet reviews. You are always right-on!

16. Mandy says:

HA! Your comments are soooooo spot-on. Thank you for being honest and funny, and not feeding us over-sugarized BS about how great everyone looks. ‘Cept Fey & Poehler- they look passe to me. Is Rose Byrne perfection? Why yes, I do believe so.

17. jamie@kreyv says:

Haha! Agreed with your reviews and loved how they just got worse and worse as I scrolled down!

18. Erin says:

Paula’s head looks HUGE in that pic you posted.

19. F says:

Christine B looked gorgeous and radiant! Lena’s dress is just unfortunate. I think the worst had to be the two in the black lace getups. They were hard to look at. With all the choices I just don’t understand. I guess they heard everyone was wearing purple prom dresses.

20. Shell says:

January Jones looks like she ate a placenta. Oh wait. She did.

21. Shell says:

January Jones looks like she just ate a placenta. Oh wait. She did.

22. Karena says:

I love many of the same and ?????many of the same. Who advises these actors to wear the see through, granny dress, flower power, and why is Paula’s head so big? The prom dress, really you cannot find something better designed! The good are really really good and the bad are horrid. Sorry All!

xoxo
    Karena
    Tom Scheerer Decorates:
    Book Giveaway!

23. Amy says:

I didn’t watch and hadn’t seen Laura Dern’s dress until now. She may be my best dressed now. I know everyone bashed Connie Britton,but I was obsessed with her look and loved the velvet. I think I may be alone though.

24. Kelie says:

Wait, is that photo of Paula Abdul photoshopped? Her head looks HUGE! And poor Lena Dunham. I mean, I get the whole “I’m quirky” thing, but she’s a grown woman who can afford a stylist! Why?!?!!?

25. Desiree M. Fox says:

Elizabeth Moss looks fabulous! Love the new hair color and cut..

26. Tina Fey always nails it. I mean always.

27. Holly Irwin says:

Thanks for the recap…..I missed the whole thing! My favorite……..the simple, strapless, cobalt blue gown. So tasteful.
    xo
    Holly

28. Heather says:

I always wait for your red carpet recaps because I always agree with you! In particular, Lena Dunham. Let’s have a moment of silence. In good news, I ADORE Rose Byrne, and do hope she darkens her hair soon. Have you seen I Give It a Year? So cute.

29. Miri says:

I normally love Kerry Washington’s red carpet looks, but this one looked a bit too bride like… The other two ladies that looked amazing were Juliana Margulies and Anna Gunn, both over 40!!

30. Dimitri says:

They look really nice!
    Please also take a look at our collection here >>>> Leather collection