I have been really, really bad about working out lately. Ever since we moved to this house I’ve pretty much stopped going to yoga and hit the gym only a couple days a week. I do love taking my pups on long walks around the lake, but I really need to get back into being focused on a real workout regimen. I need to remind myself that running around the design center does NOT count as a workout. I get really lazy about it and find myself doing my 30 minutes of cardio and then 15 minutes of weights and lunges and such and then splitting. I never take classes because my schedule is a little crazy these days. So crazy that it’s added 10 pounds to my frame. Now, I’m not totally freaking out about this as I am still slim, but I don’t FEEL good. Years ago this kind of scale activity would have sent me into a complete meltdown, but as I have gotten older and wiser I’ve become a little more accepting of myself and giving myself a break. But lately I’ve given myself too many breaks and, frankly, I feel like shit physically. Working out helps curb my anxiety, helps me focus and boosts my mood. Plus it’s so GOOP. So I’m committed to getting back on the yoga mat with more frequency and taking at least ONE class a week- be it barre, dance, boxing… anything but spinning. I hate spinning and I just have resigned myself to accepting that, no, I do not want to go to Soul Cycle. It makes me feel like I’m going to barf in public and I find that most un-enjoyable.
One of the things that motivates me to work out (sadly) is cute workout stuff!!!! When I was a diligent and committed yogi I gave LOTS of my take home pay to Lululemon. But I’ve branched out and found lots of different lines to love that add some spice to my routine- here are a few:
1. A great looking headband to keep the hair out of my eyes.
2. I used to be a good tennis player. I played all through middle school and high school and famously bragged to Andrew when we met that I would “kick his ass” on the court. Little did I know he ALSO played a ton of tennis and schooled me 6-0 in our first set. This sent me into a very un-ladylike rage, causing me to chuck my racket at him over the net. Now that I have my temper under control, we want to get back to playing (we have clay courts right by our house). This skirt is ADORABLE for our next court endeavor.
3. I wore this jacket just yesterday post workout and love it- the color, baseball tee styling and THUMBHOLES (I get giddy over thumbholes in long sleeve workout jackets).
4. This Lululemon top is so…fashion-y. Love the black and white and halter neck. Great for yoga and avoiding any “wardrobe malfunctions” in down dog (come one, we’ve all had one).
5. I also have a great barre studio near my house and I HAVE. TO. GO. I mostly want to get into it so I can wear these amazingly adorable Nike shoe-things…. every girl wanted to be a ballerina at some point, and this plays off that desire. You can get different color interiors too!
6. My current kicks feel clunky, these Nike Free’s have great reviews for a “barefoot” light feel with some stability and cushion. Sounds good to me- plus I love the grey and coral color combo (I hate it when the most comfy sneakers are the UGLY ones!)
7. Loving the back on this top as well as the color and flattering side ruching.
8. How friggin’ RAD are these yoga mats styled as rugs??? So perfect for a designer-yogi like me!
9. You know those days when you feel positively GROSS is your workout gear? Meet these Spanx capri pants that make you feel oh so slender and are comfy to boot (more for cardio and barre than yoga). Plus I feel like the compression supports your lower back a bit. I wear mine all the time and plan to pair them with over the knee boots and sweaters come fall too!
10. I am always SO boring in my workout pant purchasing (i.e. BLACK or BLACK). I feel like patterned bottoms are less versatile and a waste of money because of that- but these REVERSE to solid charcoal grey!!!! And on days when I feel sassy (and my one solid black workout top is clean) I can wear the leopard side! These are IN my shopping cart!