An Anniversary Getaway.

This summer has flown by… and not ONCE did I go to the beach. NOT ONCE!!!! That fact depresses me to no end and so I took it upon myself to book a night for my anniversary with Andrew (8 YEARS, OMG) at a place I have always wanted to go- Castle Hill Inn in Newport, Rhode Island. A luxurious inn by the beach is exactly what we need (two nights would be better, but, well…. we have a house to furnish). I seriously cannot wait- their website makes me giddy. It’s New England seaside perfection and just looking at the pictures makes me more relaxed.  Now let’s just pray for sunny skies!

1016613_10151665337002380_1794844021_n

You can choose stay in the inn on the hill, by the beach or the harbor.

CHI homepage 1

8bc1072ee2560a563985cb58b387e2a1

How LOVELY are the beach cottage interiors??

d861e21f939788871f30db7cb52f2010f429d6cf828f78773c934f5204d528a5

A gorgeously nautical inn suite complete with clawfoot tub by the window, of course.

972004_10151633092262380_1620266163_n

We’re staying in a harbor cottage at right.  The beach cottages, left, also make me weak in the knees.

a976633168457d7344d33ea13cbc1956harborhouses-1

This is what sold me, right here. “The Lawn“, where you can snack, drink and watch the boats in the harbor!

header-thelawn

971893_10151722413917380_1100639774_n

thelawn-4photo-half-5

This will be me and Andrew. Even the boat shoes, which I somehow managed to get him to not only buy, but WEAR too!

photo-full-8

d73d46a17c33085cd6ac88ac5e1f6722

photo-half-18photo-half-4

Why yes, I would like a cocktail on the beach, thank you, sir.

photo-twothird-2

4f38559a683914ca187b8c9c7c6f571f4a51a201962b19fc5b65b862492a1720

Look at that location!

532937_10151543015697380_1147081882_n

Another amazing thing about Castle Hill, that beach below left is called Grace Kelly Beach, because it was her favorite when she would stay here often. Um, yes.

photo-half-8photo-half-11

I also hear the food is spectacular, so we’ve made a reservation to dine there as well.  I hope to also do the Cliff Walk and tour a couple mansions, which I have not done since I was little!  Now that I’m Downton Abbey obsessed, I think I’ll enjoy them even more!

photo-half-70d688067a13d3a202e6e16d13b165b64

I CAN’T WAIT!!!

header-beachhouses

43 Responses to “An Anniversary Getaway.”

1. WP&Co says:

Splendid way to celebrate.
    Oh, the memories made at Castle Hill Sunday afternoon/nights on the lawn….in the 80s/90s it was where we wrapped up every Newport trip.
    I’ll be daydreaming all day.

2. Andrea says:

Newport welcomes you! I’m a transplant here from MA and I’ve loved every minute, Castle Hill is to-die-for….so beautiful. If you like good Mexican food you definitely need to try Perro Salado, downtown Newport. Hope you have a wonderful time, if you need any suggestions give me a shout!

3. Bess says:

We’ve stayed in the beach cottages a few times and love it (we got engaged on the back deck our first visit!), it’s a great escape. The restaurant there is great too, especially breakfast! Enjoy, happy anniversary!

4. Ugh, I’m SO JEALOUS!!!! I haven’t been in about 5 years but it is absolutely as spectacular as the photos make it appear. Enjoy!

5. Alana says:

I go there every year it really is the best spot in Newport have a great time!

6. Chris says:

This place is beautiful. We looked at it for our wedding reception but they couldn’t accommodate the size of the reception. Newport at this time of year is the best-have a great time!

7. Tamara says:

On my list!! Thanks, Erin!

8. Jillian says:

ENJOY IT! Such a beautiful place. I was born in Newport and while I live in Boston now, my husband and I go down often and enjoy cocktails on the lawn. I mentioned we were there once and my mom told me the summer I was born she and my dad would sit in the same place to watch the America’s Cup boats come in.

9. Quiana says:

Gorgeous! I was sailing in Newport earlier this summer and saw this hotel and have always wondered about it. Sounds like I need to plan a visit! Have a wonderful stay and happy anniversary!

10. Lauren says:

You are going to have a fabulous time. I have stayed in the harbor houses, they are as good as the photos, especially the back porch. Take advantage of the grounds and being right off of ocean drive. Tea time in the afternoon was fun. Glad to see your having dinner there.. AMAZING. Drinks on the lawn are also a must. The staff is great. Try to do cliff walk, although the whole path is not open right now. And this is all coming from someone who lives in RI. I had done Newport a million times, but Castle Hill trumps it all. Have fun!

11. lauren says:

As a Rhode Islander I recommend Castle Hill to anyone visiting, you are going to love it! The blueberry lemonade (alcoholic) is sooo good and refreshing. The lobster sliders are delicious! If you want some authentic RI chowder and clam cakes, go to Flo’s clam shack by the beaches in Newport.

12. Dani says:

Newport is one of my favorite towns in New England. And I just love the Castle Hill Inn! Be sure to do the brunch on the lawn when you are there. And for a fabulous dinner, you must try Tallulah on Thames.

13. The second I saw that picture on bloglovin, I knew your post was about one of my favorite places! I remember sitting on those chairs in the lawn sipping cocktails with friends. Castle Hill was always a must for every trip to Newport. It has been about 10 years since my last visit there and now that I see it, I know I have to go back! You will LOVE it there! Have a fabulous time and Happy Anniversary!
    -Shelley

14. Gosia says:

My husband and i got married in Newport, Rhode Island. Love that place. So magical. I can’t wait to go back there. Have a wonderful time.

15. Heather P. says:

My husband became obsessed with boat shoes last summer, once he realized how comfortable and easy they are. He’s been on the lookout for another pair recently, since I told him this would be the time to snag them on sale!

Your mini-vacation looks perfect! So pretty and it looks like you’ll have tons to do (or just hang out in that awesome tub and stare out the window a bunch). :-)

16. This looks like heaven. I would love a place like this within driving distance of DC!

17. Melissa says:

I adore Newport! This one is going on my bucket list too. I went to The Breakers a few years ago and it was amazing. Enjoy!

18. Lauren says:

Oh man, Erin, that place looks beautiful! I am sure you and Andrew will have an awesome time celebrating – eat lots of lobster and have fun!

19. Looks divine! I would love to transport myself to that beach cottage right about now :) Have a splendid time Erin!

20. Dana says:

I love Newport, RI and the accommodations look absolutely wonderful! Cheers!!

21. Lindsay says:

Happy Anniversary & enjoy your getaway! Newport is lovely and perfect. I once got lost there as a kid when I meandered away from the Cliff Walk while on vacation with my family. My mother was NOT happy when we eventually found each other. Maybe you guys want to skip the cliff walk, haha.

22. Deb says:

Looks amazing. I say take the splurge and go for two nights. You only celebrate your 8th wedding anniversary once…

23. Have a spectacular time! Newport is beautiful; one of my favorite places to vacation. Cheers to you and your mate!

24. Looks incredible! Happy Anniversary!

25. Cheryl says:

It is the best! You will love it. Dinner is amazing. Happy Anniversary.

26. Tara says:

That place looks FAB-U-LOUS!! Happy Anniversary to you two lovebirds. I would never want to leave that lawn with that view.

27. Candice Lewis says:

We attended a wedding there several years ago, and it was AMAZING! It was our first (and only) trip to Rhode Island, and we have been looking for a reason to go back! Have an amazing trip, and happy anniversary!

28. Pat says:

Happy Anniversary! Castel Hill is the perfect place to celebrate – it really is as wonderful as the pictures show. The food and the service in the restaurant is excellent. The lawn is the best place in Newport to watch the sunset – try the Blueberry Lemonade cocktail as you watch the sun go down. Enjoy!

29. Holly says:

You will love it! I worked at Castle Hill in college – such a gorgeous place. Enjoy!

30. Michelle says:

You are right, the lawn in the place to be! Enjoy the cocktails and the view, Newport is dreamy …

31. Ashley says:

I am getting married at Castle Hill in October!! What a wonderful surprise to see such a nice posting about my favorite place in Newport so close to my wedding. Enjoy every minute. I highly recommend the wine pairing if you are having dinner in the formal dining room. If you venture out of the hotel, Belle’s, at the Newport Shipyard, is our favorite place for a casual breakfast. Never disappoints and you get to see some amazing nautical real estate. Happy anniversary!

32. Angela says:

We hit up Newport every July for the tennis tournament and Castle Hill is one of the best places to stay. Amazing view.

33. Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Int says:

Erin,

I was there just last week. I am now leaving in RI.
    Recently, brought a summer home @ The Newport
    Beach Club. Part of the Abbey.

Another heavenly place to go is the Ocean House
    in Watch Hill. Check their site. http://www.oceanhousere.com

I love all the pic’s you put up this evening!

34. pve says:

Erin,
    I’d say going there will surely make up for all the days missed at the beach.
    Wishing you a wonderful time full of stylish & happy celebrations~
    pve

35. Susan says:

Have a summer house here and spent many an evening on the lawn this summer. They’ve expanded the outdoor bar and the terrace patio this past year and it’s beautiful. Best view, hands down, but be sure and bring a jacket/sweater because it can get windy. Try the watermelon jalapeno margarita if it’s still on the menu – soooo good! Happy anniversary and have fun!!

36. Jennifer says:

Sold! I’m going there when I plan a trip in that part of the country. I was supposed to go this summer, but a house project had me home all summer. So, I didn’t go to the beach either. :( Have a great time!

37. Franki Parde says:

FAB!!!! franki

38. This looks to-die-for amazing!! I’ve never vacationed on the East Coast yet, but this place has made it’s place on my to-do list! Have a wonderful anniversary!!

39. We love it there. Oldest daughter went to school in RI and Castle Hill Inn is a great spot. Check out Point Pleasant Inn too. http://www.pointpleasantinn.com, super nice as well. Bocce anyone?

40. You need to go to the “Breakers” mansion. The view is out of this world. Marble House is amazing too if you are a fan of Versailles…then go out back and have tea or ice cream at the Chinese Tea House.

41. Durf says:

Holy cow, that place is expensive! Good for you. I ate there a few weeks ago. It’s so beautiful there, even on an overcast day.

42. Prominade says:

Love the nautical inn suite. Having a clawfoot tub by the window is awesome. Such a great view.

43. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted
    to say superb blog!