Love Me, Love My Dog(s)

Screen Shot 2013-07-03 at 6.48.52 AMScreen Shot 2013-07-03 at 6.52.53 AM

If you know me, follow me on Instagram or have spoken to me for 5 minutes you know how obsessed I am with my two dogs. Baxter was my first, a Havanese from a breeder in CT and Oliver was a lat night “impulse rescue” I found on Petfinder one night.  It said he was a month old Havanese puppy mill rescue and I was wanting a sibling for Baxter to keep him company.  One look at his picture and I was done for (kinda like when I saw Andrew’s picture on Match).  Andrew happened to be sleeping at the time so the next morning when he woke it went a little something like this:

Me: Honey, I may or may not have adopted a puppy online last night….

Andrew: No you didn’t.

Me: Yeah, I did.  And you need to fly to North Carolina to get him.

Andrew: (smacks head)

Me: YAAAAAY!

So Oliver came home with us and turns out, he’s not a pure bred Havanese but some sort of mix. We are pretty certain he’s a Bichon- Havanese mix, a Havachon, if you will.  He and Baxter were instant best friends, mostly because Baxter is a raging type A freakshow and Oliver acts like a stoned Matthew McConaghey all the time (“hey maaaaan, be cool….).  I would have 10 dogs if I could, but for now I’ll stick with these two weirdos. The fact that I got these two little fluffballs when Andrew is a big dog guy (his dream is a Newfoundland) is a testament to my powers of persuasion.

This does mean that I spend a ridiculous amount of money on them- between vet visits, grooming, nights at the fancy dog hotel, toys, food, treats….. and the fact that 50% of my reasoning for buying this house was so they could have a yard…. yeah, I am officially a crazy dog lady. I try to keep all their toys neat in a basket in a corner- but one thing that always shows are dog beds.  So I was psyched when I got this new ikat print bed from Blueblood (print available soon) to put in the sunroom where they like to lay and bark at every moving thing that goes by. It coordinates with everything else going on in there and isn’t an eyesore….

IMG_5403

Here are some of my current favorite dog-centric accessories that are both good looking and functional:

dogstuff

1. I DIE over this ombre leash!!! I also like the natural looking one too, but ombre rope? Come ON!

2. Hysterical treat jar. My boys act like crack addicts for chicken chips.

3. A stuffed Eiffel tower toy would make me happy laying on my floor.

4. & 5. Dried chicken treats made in Boston (so no worries about that whole made in China chicken chip drama).

6. Baxter rocks this Blueblood greek key collar and leash and looks SO sharp in it. They have a great selection of collars- and 20% off today!

7. I love my dry shampoo, and now the boys have some too to freshen them up after tumbles in the park or pond.

8. A chic leather-look poop bag holder. As good looking as you can make that lovely task.

9. TRUTH.

10. Cutest preppy little collar for a lady dog. (Which, by the way, if I ever had I would name Jackie O and she would be so well dressed).

11. Cute little rope toy from another favorite brand, Jax & Bones.  We have stupid names for each toy we have- Smelly Squirrel, Bitey Monster, Crazy Legs, Pirate Chicken…. this guy would have to be dubbed something too.

12. I had to. A leopard hide bowtie collar- ON SALE?! You know, for formal, fashion-y occasions.

13. A great looking double dish wood feeder. Love this.

14. I saw this lucite dog bed at Mecox in Palm Beach and nearly had a stroke. It’s the ultimate.

I’m going to sign off until Monday and take a little breather. I hope you guys have a great long holiday weekend!

-E

31 Responses to “Love Me, Love My Dog(s)”

1. You KNOW I love this post. Auggie gives it a big thumbs up (or a big paws up). xx

2. Lindsay says:

Hahahaha! That was one of your funniest posts yet. Loooove the poop bag holder. As long as it looks cute, gotta have it!

3. HHL says:

Great post! Check out http://www.greendogmarket.com/ New store near your old stomping grounds in Farmington. They are on instagram too!

4. Elizabeth says:

That leopard collar would be so right for my red Dobie, aka Dapper Dan. Alas, he needs size 18.

5. Karissa says:

Erin, have you seen this ending soon on Joss & Main? :)

6. Lucite dog bed is pretty genius. Some dogs live better than most humans :)

7. He’s adorable! Love the dog bed, I think my cats would enjoy it too!

8. Thank you so much for including so many of our doggie items! I have a cavalier and she is totally my fur baby so love me, love my dog is complete #truth for this family! xo MKR @ Waiting On Martha

9. Diplospice says:

Love the ikat dog bed – just not sure it will be big enough for Bandit, our Bernese Mountain Dog (13 weeks old now, but will be 110 pounds or so full grown.)

10. Tatiana says:

I am the exact same way with my dogs, Erin! Viva the lunatics! And my husband had to acclimate to my preferences as well. As a diehard Humane Society supporter, there was no way anything purebred was coming into our house, so he will just have to have his Brittany spaniel with his next wife I guess. ;)

I’m so buying that lucite number. TODAY.

11. Erin Gates says:

Elizabeth- it come sin size 18: http://www.barneys.com/Barneys-New-York-Zebra-Bow-Collar/00505020526474,default,pd.html?q=bow%20collar&index=9

Also, Diplospice- that bed comes in giant size :) Got one for my mom’s golden!

12. Shelby says:

The dog bed looks so nice in that room! I also really like the couch- do you mind sharing where you bought it? Thanks and Happy Fourth!

13. Blueblood says:

Erin thank you for featuring our “Fez” bed from our
    new Global Collection. It looks great in your house
    And we know the dogs will love it! For your readers…
    One if our fav models is a Bernese and our beds range from
    Small to XL accommodating all size pooches!

14. Marie says:

I have a Havanese named Winston (chocolate head/white body)He’s 10 mons old and he can be quite the little devil. Destroyed 2 cute beds i bought him ..I’m hoping he grows out of this so I can get him a cute little bed like yours!..ohhh the things we do for our pets !

15. SMc says:

Erin,
    Where did your sofa come from? I love it.

16. Tori says:

Hello from a fellow crazy dog (and cat!) lady. Your dogs are adorable and your sunroom turned out so gorge!

17. Love it! Where did you get your fig leave pillows!

18. Cute cute pups! Love the ombre leash – need!

19. Caroline L. says:

Happy Holiday to you and yours! This post was fantastic – I’ve always wanted to become a crazy dog lady myself, but alas my mom never permitted a puppy in the front door because of her wacko OCD ways, and also because we travel at great lengths and didn’t want a pup to be alone too often. One day!

20. Ash says:

Just got back from Turkey and spent the most outrageous amount on a pair of hand thrown and painted (and food safe) human bowls for our frenchie – I even didn’t realize the insanity till I was explaining it at customs. Luckily I left out the part about how the antique kilim was going to be repurposed into a dog bed cover…. Love me, love my fur baby?

21. Amy says:

I know this may seem like a silly question when you are talking about the cutest dogs ever, but where is your rug from? I love it!!!

22. Maryanne says:

PS and where is the lucite waterfall table from may I ask? Also, Paris says hi!

23. Alana says:

#8 is pure genius!

24. Tina says:

Awwww! I want two little cuties for me, too!

25. Anna S. says:

LOVE IT!!! And now I’m broke. :)

26. M says:

Love this. As the mom of 3 smallish dogs, I totally get it. By the way, if you have kids in the future, don’t believe a word of what people will tell you (that the dogs will go by the wayside, affection wise). Crazy talk! They don’t talk back, nuff said ;)

27. [...] recently read this post on the Elements of Style blog and I found myself agreeing enthusiastically with Erin’s love (aka obsession) for her furry [...]

28. LOVE this post (and your fabulous pup accessory suggestions)! I just got a pup a few months ago – the 2nd dog addition to the family – and he’s been quite the handful! After multiple training classes, an in-home training consultation, and a non-furry babe on the way, we are finally sending him off to boot camp. The things we do for our dogs! But better than taking him back to the shelter…happy to see another dog crazed blogger out there :)

29. Your pups are adorable! We have 2 poodles, and they are definitely our children. My husband says when they’re naughty: “Its a good thing you’re cute!”.

30. ADVANCE ME says:

Huge challenges in this article. I am content to peer ones content. Thanks a lot that i’m looking ahead of time to call you. Do you want to be sure to decline me a postal mail?

31. elizabeth says:

Where is your sofa from? I love it!