Fashion Friday: Ladylike Style

After spending last weekend watching Wimbledon and being on Royal Baby-Watch I have come to the decision that I’d like to take a cue from the Brits (and others like Audrey and Jackie) and dress a bit more lady-like and less “of the moment trendy”.  Now, I’ve made this proclamation before and in no way am I even considering abandoning my beloved leather pants- but I think being more conscientious about looking classic and dignified rather than “sexy” or “cool” is appropriate for someone turning 34 (ugggghhhh!)

95c63e92b18781aa4f5ad0ab767eb7ca ec44765f0023ad568e8ba1da802987bb

8319ef1a389605d122f65789051e6318babb085ce648cfeee291961aefae60ba

67af6fa493e6e3476d7dab6a3b85d690a2e43ebf891f2ce1776ca200c0fafd05

ab64b3275999f823148559d95642422fa0e94faa38e05f38c31632f00cbc85a8

And who does ladylike better than Kate Middleton?

6c1161dacf82e116b2a23bbd050644b0a0fc2c54a280a042c9a6d5c49a145bf4

31514b3c0f3317d2de97b4035235aa2fca4ca8ca7854f567440d6d59eb8bc402

No one, that’s who.

Here are some summertime dresses and skirts that cut a feminine silhouette without revealing TOO much femininity, if you catch my drift.

lady

1. // 2. // 3. // 4. // 5. // 6. // 7. // 8. // 9.

26 Responses to “Fashion Friday: Ladylike Style”

1. Love the striped dress! The cutout in the front is super cute too.

2. Mom says:

Agree!

3. Franki Parde says:

Both…trendy and tailored! franki

4. Hill says:

Fabulous post! Agreed indeed

5. Marche' says:

I def just went to ASOS and purchased that stripe dress. It’s so perfect :)

6. I definitely agree. I love classic, simple pieces and have been trying to dress more ladylike lately, too. And as evidenced by these women, ladylike style is far from boring. Classic silhouettes can still be mixed with bright colors and even your beloved leopard print. :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

7. Karen Albert says:

Hi Erin, I love the dresses you have featured here AND that dresses are back big time!
    There were a few years were one could not find a lovely, feminine dress; so glad that has changed! Accessories can keep the dress simply pretty to elegant and alluring!

xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Artists Series!

8. Heather P. says:

Wow, I kinda want all of them! I especially love #8 for summer – I’m always on the hunt for a nice white dress that isn’t too skimpy!

9. I love the Brit’s style. I think dressing elegantly and simply looks so much better than following every trend.

10. smash says:

34 is the new 24, but classy is always appropriate. xo

11. Love it! Some of these would make a great work-to-evening outfit as well.

12. Lindsay says:

That’s one of the bummers of edging toward your mid 30s. It seems we have to actually think about whether an outfit is “appropriate”. Classic styles never fail at any age. Love the pics.

13. Georgina says:

I love a classic just as much as the next girl… I live in the south and these girls do ladylike like its their full time job!! But something about wearing something that is so NOW just does it for me sometimes. It’s all part of the fun- and remember when Vogue used to do those dress for your age pages? I loved that your thirties were always high end and eclectic yet tasteful. I think Olivia Palermo does a great job here too (is she even in her thirties?) slightly cooler than Kate IMO.

14. Christina says:

I think there’s room for both “classic” and “sexy/cool” in a wardrobe. Of the pictures you posted, the one that draws my eye the most is the third one – girl in all place with the killer sexy shoes! You always need a little bit of something to amp up a classic look, otherwise, I feel like classic can get boring real quick.

15. Caroline L. says:

Ha, I’m setting up camp in front of Twitter on my desktop this weekend, and Royal Baby-Watching it up!

16. Nicole says:

That striped dress is so stunning!

Great picks :)

Nicole

17. Mer says:

I love the cut of the one-shoulder dress.
    Kate is perfect. I know she’s doing pretty well for herself, but I can’t help but cringe for her when I see the shots of the media horde camped out in front of the hospital on babywatch. I hope they have a secret back entrance for her!

18. Sharon says:

I just wanted to say that 34 is YOUNG! Don’t be in a hurry to dress old Erin. These dresses are great for thirties, but I just wanted to say that you still have many more years to rock those leather pants!

19. Kate says:

I, too, at 34 felt it was time to.. Maybe grow up a little in my clothing. Now, with the next birthday being 40, I take it back. Think about how french women dress, like Ines de la Fressange (& if you haven’t read her book Parisian Chic RUN to your bookstore & get a copy) adding a dollop of sexy to classic every day. I think it’s important to do some classicdressing (like twinsets & pearls) while you’re young enough for it to be ironic & Grace Kelly, rather than “Nana” but then leave it until you’re 92. But beautiful images, and such a gorgeous look, anf your beauty is edgy classic enough to carry it off. We all need to sharpen our eye from time to time – you go girl!

20. 34? It’s great! Enjoy it! Shouldn’t waste any energy about age, it’s as needless as worrying about weight! Honestly when you’re really old you will regret all the time you wasted in needless angst! :)

21. Patricia says:

I agree! You’re young, slim and beautiful. Dress as pretty/sexy/cool as you want. You’ll have to cover up more as you get older (say… 63). That saying, all the dresses you showed were lovely…

22. Amy says:

Just ordered #6 for a bachelorette party! Wish I had a reason to order more!

23. Jennifer says:

Love the striped dress! I’m not sure it’s ladylike, but that’s probably why it appeals to me. ;)

24. I adore that picture of Viviana Volpicella and Anna dello Russo – especially the way Viviana is dressed kills me, it’s so perfect!

25. i love fashion. i am always looking for a change in the industry of the fashion….i am a interior designer in meerut….

Cheers!!