A Modern Farmhouse

I have long enjoyed perusing a little southern magazine called Garden & Gun after seeing it years ago in a trip down south of the Mason Dixon line.  While the title may cause guffaws from visitors to your home who see it on your coffee table, it’s not only for those entrenched in forsythia and firepower.  They have done many home stories that have knocked my socks off, as well as some of the best photography I’ve seen to date.  For example, this feature on a modern farmhouse in South Carolina.

I spent my weekend weeding, mulching and doing all sorts of sweaty outdoor yard activities as we prep our small patch of land for a fun re-do in August!  I can’t help but feel after a long day outside with my hands in the dirt that I could, someday, move to a place like this.  Nothing feels better than kicking back after some serious manual labor and the satisfaction that comes with doing something physical and beneficial with your time.  Now, let’s not get CRAZY, I live far from the actual country- and I love being able to still walk to dinner and coffee from my house- but I have to say, leaving the city was the best decision I ever made. I don’t think I’ve ever been happier in a home.

So back to this house (I must be delirious from all the mulch and weed killer).  The country vibe can be polarizing but so happy and calming, is it not? And this modern take on it I find really lovely.

GG0212_Homeplace_03

051611_GG_Belk_286F051611_GG_Belk_275F

farm-3

051611_GG_Belk_036F051611_GG_Belk_089F

I think we need to pause a moment to discuss the coolness of these stairs. I mean, really.

GG0212_Homeplace_06051611_GG_Belk_615F

farm-4

051611_GG_Belk_556F051611_GG_Belk_586F

Love the kitchen colors (looks like my color scheme!) and the super rustic old wood doors!

051611_GG_Belk_581F051611_GG_Belk_699F

GG0212_Homeplace_02051611_GG_Belk_204F

There are those stairs again!!

051611_GG_Belk_628F051611_GG_Belk_041F

DONKEYS!

051611_GG_Belk_666F051611_GG_Belk_673F

Chickens and a relaxing little spot to sit.  Looks lovely, doesn’t it?

051611_GG_Belk_450F051611_GG_Belk_260F

After our big day of yard work, we cooked an awesome summer dinner and I wanted to share the recipes with you! It was THAT good. :) No styling here- just our actual meal seconds before Andrew ate every last bite.

photo-50

Mojo Chicken Marinade (via Weber Grilling Cookbook)

1/2 c. orange juice

2 tbs fresh lime juice

2 tbs soy sauce

2 tbs extra virgin olive oil

1 tbs minced garlic

1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Whisk together in a bowl and place 2-4 chicken breasts in a large plastic resealable bag and pour marinade in. Place in fridge for 6-8 hours turning the bag once or twice. Grill. Yummers.

Deconstructed Street Corn (via Wall Street Journal Weekend)

6 ears fresh corn (or 4- we used 4 for the 2 of us)

1 jalapeno, finely chopped

2 tbs olive oil

1/3 cup freshly grated parmesean

2 tbs balsamic vinegar

if desired, finely chopped mint or cilantro

Pinch of salt

Boil corn and cut off the cob.  In a saute pan heat up the oil and cook the jalapeno for 2 minutes, add the corn and saute for another 5 minutes.  Pour into a large bowl and add the vinegar, salt, Parmesan and herbs and stir. Serve warm or cold!

** Note- I sent Andrew to the grocery store which means I got a JAR of sliced jalepenos and grated Kraft parmesan, not fresh. Also, our herb plants died int he heat. This ain’t no food blog, but it was still great! :)

20 Responses to “A Modern Farmhouse”

1. Lindsay says:

Oh, Erin, this is my very most favorite publication. I’m Southern, so gardens & guns are my jam, but it truly is a magazine for the masses. At least for the masses who appreciate Southern charm. Ha!

shinyponies.com

2. A modern farmhouse….now that’s what I want. Although I’m not keen on those stairs— too nautical for a farmhouse.

3. smash says:

So absolutely gorgeous. I agree those stairs are to die for and I also love those sinks!

4. Natalie Whelton says:

Garden and Gun was the first present I ever gave my husband- I got it for our first Christmas when we had only been dating for a couple of weeks. He is nouveau deep south (he moved from Baltimore to NOLA) so he thought it was “the best present!” So glad you posted on this because I realized we hadn’t received one in a while and checked our account to find that it had expired- so thanks for the reminder!

5. This looks like a little piece of heaven!

6. Jennifer says:

I’m still laughing at the name Garden & Gun. I live in the south and have never heard of it. I love this farmhouse and will be saving the pics of the kitchen and bathroom. I’m comfortable in my house right now, but my husband and I talk about moving out of the suburbs and to the country one day.

7. kristie says:

Love Garden and Gun and sometimes give subscriptions as hostess gifts since I received a subscription as a hostess gift!

8. Loving the rope stair railing. That is such a great idea.

9. Karen Albert says:

Dear Erin I have heard so much about Garden and Gun, have not subscribed yet; may have to!

I love the fresh crisp and still the warmth of the rooms you have shown us; wonderful!!

xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Designer Series

10. Lucy says:

I’ve loved this house since I first saw it, so it’s lovely to see it again. Fabulous.

11. Holly says:

That dinner looks amazing! May have to give that chicken a whirl.

12. Nicole says:

Oh I LOVE the staircase ropes!

The dinner looks amazing as well :)

Nicole

13. The Office Stylist says:

SO obsessed with that staircase!

–Sayeh, The Office Stylist

14. Franki Parde says:

CLEVER stair case! After just shoveling a TON (actually 1.04 ton)of crusher run rock around our new barbeque platform…I’m feeling the “muscle burn” this morning! Must subscribe to “Gardens and Guns”…many blogs I follow love this magazine! franki

15. Holly Irwin says:

What an amazing farmhouse and such a beautiful setting. I love the minimalism of the interior and the furnishings…..their artwork choices too!
    Thanks for sharing!
    xo
    Holly

16. Those stairs are everything and love all the southern charm!

17. sketch42blog says:

This is beyond GORG. Thanks for sharing!

18. kate says:

Garden and Gun is my favorite magazine although the looks I get are a little dodgy when I’m skimming through it while the kids run around the playground;) This house was an absolute knock out.

19. Barbara says:

Where-oh-where did those green, farm animal pictures come from??
    They are fabulous! I love farm animal prints, the more whimsical, the better.

20. Erin says:

This farmhouse is amazing. I love all of the rope details. Those stairs are gorge!

xx Erin