Trend Alert: Statement Roman Shades

Did you guys happen to check out the new Lonny? One of my most favorite designers ever Angie Hranowsky has a project featured and I happened to notice two rooms with serious statement roman shades in them- almost painterly!

24a608469726ba7bf709c4716684ec3a

8e0bb86dc6d227fa543f725a1851362b

She actually uses them a lot, and I found a bunch of other examples of roman shades that are a focal point in rooms.  They are especially great in small rooms that have very little space for art- instead serving AS the art instead!  What do you think? Do you like this look?

7d7f8867415d2fb2d554555498223439

bf931764fc930749e5fb04a88c232870

ef1ba98a805245230ed79e67f2de4922

d32e3e98b4cd929813935769924316b5

0a8514c6b76a681249dff519e5935c16

ba95513614ef7d5dda2beb98fd27ba28

389ac1ebb861c0d02eeba7d580c90b89

37218c05002c360d_0527-w406-h406-b0-p0--eclectic-bedroom

28 Responses to “Trend Alert: Statement Roman Shades”

1. Another way to display artwork– on shades! Love it.

2. Chris says:

As long as they were lined I would consider them. I have this thing about how any kind of window treatments look like from the street-want them to be unified/nothing mismatched.

3. Erin Gates says:

Chris, ALL shades should be lined in white! Always! :)

4. gayle p says:

great post – love that single window with the bookcases and yellow chairs – what a great way to use a small space!

5. Love the feature in Lonny and LOVE roman shades! Just wish they weren’t so darn $$$!

6. Geri says:

Roman shades are actually very easy to make even for a beginner- the seams are all straight lines! I like this look especially for small spaces.

7. Brooke says:

Erin, can you recommend anyone in the Boston area who makes good custom roman shades?

8. YES! Love them! My daughter’s nursery has roman shades in a bold fabric that set the tone for the whole room. It’s a tiny space and drapes just would not have worked (not to mention that they’d probably be yanked down by grubby little hands). I love the idea for faux roman shades in places like a kitchen where you don’t really need to pull them down.

9. Franki Parde says:

Shades are “just right.” Personally, I do not even care for curtains…style, up keep, etc. Dates a room. Just sayin.. franki

10. coby says:

I really like this idea for a bedroom or a den. Less fussy than curtains but still makes a statement. But not for a formal dining room. Give me some huge, bold, traditional and glamorous curtains! I want to feel like I’m dining in the white house :).

11. I like it in every room EXCEPT the all white with malachite print shades from Elle Decor. I’m way in to white walls and malachite is one of my fav patterns/materials, but this application is unappealing to me. The pic was loved by tons of bloggers, but to me, he shades look like beach towels hanging on the windows in a stark dorm room.

My fav applications are Angie’s (Love her also!) , the first example with the tufted sofa and round brass coffee table, and I love the last pic. The trim on the green ikat print is so preppy and fresh. I am looking for ready made shades that I can add my own trim to.

12. Way to go Erin, I love when windows get attention!

Favoriting this post because I am PASSIONATE about window treatments!
    All of the shades you show have beautiful fabric that make the statement.

The Roman Shade style is the classic flat Roman. There are many Roman variations~Hobbled, Slatted, Tucked and Relaxed to name a few. The style and construction varies depending on the room and how they will be used or if they’re just stationary.

Unless the fabric is sheer or semi-sheer (which I have done many times), the shades does need to be lined. For extra body and full saturation of color my preference is to interline them too. So luxurious!

Well done window treatments are the icing on the cake, the perfect necklace for the dress and the hood ornament on the luxury car.

13. I would be remiss to not mention that Roman shades will all of those cords are one of the products necessary to meet the new Child Safety Standards for Window Coverings that went into effect March 3.

If you have your shades made by a reputable artist/dealer, they will know how to comply with the standards.

Keep your children and pets safe at home.

14. I love the bold use of pattern and color – makes for a very exciting and engaging living spaces! My two favorites are the neutral room with the malachite green shades and the Delft -pottery-come-to-life dining room.

15. susan says:

Love a graphic, bold shade. We just did a fun one using a Dwell Studio fabric in our family bath (link below). Great post!

16. Amanda says:

I love a good Roman shade and like the idea of them in a bold pattern. Thanks for the trend alert!

17. Tara says:

Yes, I love this idea! I especially love how it’s used in the second to last pic of the blue library. It’s a great way to make a statement. So pretty.

18. Caroline says:

This is probably too bold for me personally, but I’m loving those jade panels! Makes such a statement & so gorgeous!

19. While the rooms are great and polished it is kind of like having to wear a strong statement blouse. I worry I would tire of it and I would prefer it in the smaller interchangeable details like cushions. Like that in an outfit. I just wish I was more handy bc otherwise I might commit to more print…

20. I love a good Roman shade, especially one with a bold pattern. These are really great, thanks for sharing

21. Jamie says:

I love the look especially in the 4th photo down! That perfect dose of wow factor!

22. I’ve never realized there are so many options for roman shades, they really brighten up a room.

23. Holiday says:

nice. i’ve always loved that room with the malachite fabric windows!!!… and i’ve ALWAYS loved fabric roman shades. (grrrrrrrrrrrr that malachite is everywhere).

24. STACEY says:

Just had a designer from Westport, CT come to help me with Roman shades for my home….with his French accent he dissed everything in my house and offered no insight to the window treatments. He told me that I would need to spend a minimum of $750 for a Roman shade in my bathroom – is that really the going price?! I felt like such a peasant when he left.

25. I agree. I LOVE using bold patterns on Roman Shades. There are so many fantastic fabrics that do look/feel like art. And, dare I say, I think you get more impact when you use a great fabric on a Roman Shade than you do on a full-length panel or even (gasp!) on pillows.
    BTW, The zebra shade is, by far, my favorite.

26. Sammie says:

Erin is it fair game to ask you questions about products you have featured on the blog over facebook? Just wondering if you make it a point to reply to people or not and if this is a better medium.

27. Laura Casey says:

I love all of these! A great way to make a statement.

28. I’ve been noticing that roman shades are being used more and more. Despite the new cord safety standards that have been recently introduced.