Mapped Out.

Maps have long been used in decor, especially vintage maps.  And white sometimes it conjures up thoughts of dusty libraries and super traditional decor, it can be a fantastically modern way to add visual punch to the walls of your home.

Mural sized wall maps are so fun behind the bed- find some fantastic ones here and here.

majesty_map_mural_paris_940

I LOVE blowing up maps and then dividing them up into multiple frames hung on a grid.  If you can’t deal with all the math, cutting and the like you can pick up a pre-framed set here or Majesty Maps prints them PRE-DEVIDED! Genius!!!

92327bdccef39a4c44a506e5712accd1

I did this with a Nantucket map in that adorable pink and black apartment recently featured in InStyle.

map_wallpaper_framed_art__glamorous_dining_room_faux_bamboo_black_white-15-940-700-100

Wallpapering a whole small room with a map mural is an amazing look too.

fd974e6daf67f456a5908b426a762a92

Some more great images!

paris_4_panel-82-940-700-100

932d2c4668d2a85fbd34f0b12f0d934e43761ff41d581e9ac43066dc2746b74f

maps_decor-77-940-700-100

5f7d63146f6a17c3cc9709abca5fde4a04b8194343f92b2725f435090f765a56

map-pottery-barn

Another very cute and very cheap idea- hanging a gallery wall of family photos and making mats out of maps f the location where each image was taken!

b0c56ec6c8b41222c87393554f6aaaee

It’s been an INSANELY busy week so I apologize on the lack of house updates. They will be coming next week FOR SURE- lots of them- including the kitchen REVEAL!

23 Responses to “Mapped Out.”

1. Anna says:

Love these, especially the black and white ones!

2. Coby says:

This is one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a long time! Reminds me of an old subway restaurant (JK!)! No really-I adore the bathroom.

3. That first bedroom is wonderful! Caroline

4. Maureen says:

Erin, thank you for this post! I have been really into maps as artwork lately too! I even got one for Valentine’s day where my boyfriend and I met. You can see it here: http://www.sheismoments.com/2013/03/moments-of-valentines-day.html

Needless to say I got all weepy. And the map painting is now proudly displayed in my room :)

5. Julie says:

I absolutely adore the use of maps as art! I’d love to add this to our house!

6. pve says:

So clever to use maps. I love maps and am working on a few works of art that are maps.
    After all it is all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION~
    pve

7. Amy says:

this is such a cool idea! i love the map behind the bed and in that bathroom :)
    xoamy

8. Vanessa says:

LOVE love this! That first bedroom is the stuff dreams are made of.

9. Erin,

This was such a great (not to mention inspiring) post! I can’t wait to take what I’ve seen and apply it to my apartment. I had been looking for a way to incorporate a map into my living space, and now I have it. There is just something so classic about maps and visually stimulating that it makes a perfect addition to any home. Thanks for sharing!

10. love this! an especially loving the pink and zebra palace :)

11. Gorgeous. Maps have to be the only thing that can beat a good bookshelf to make a wall interesting and beautiful.

12. I am on the hunt for a vintage pull down school map for our home office. Maps, globes….I love them all in decor!

13. Lyndsey says:

I’ve been obsessed with the separately framed grid maps ever since I found a gorgeous one of 1600s Paris. However, in my current apartment I’m out of wall space and found this Etsy shop who applies the concept to throw pillows.

Really happy with the black and white London map I got with the Thames highlighted in blue.

They’ll customize to any map you’re interested in:

14. Caroline says:

I am so very enamored with that first picture! These are all so incredibly beautiful – loving the subtlety of the black & white sketched ones!

15. Love this, Erin! The framed grid would also be GREAT for a wedding decor backdrop, especially if the couple is from two different places! And I love putting hand-illustrated area maps in wedding gift bags as well!

16. Meredith says:

Love this post! After seeing the image above with a map framed as a headboard on Pinterest, we began searching for the perfect map of our town Portland, ME, for the same use. Fingers crossed we find one soon! Good luck with your many projects – I’m so excited to see the updates next week!

17. Cecilia says:

I was in a crazy house with a huge Paris map like this in their living room.

18. Erin thanks for such an amazing post. LOVE the maps and your blog …have been an avid reader for years. You have inspired me to launch my own design business and I wrote my first blog post tonight. Keep the great content coming!

19. OMG the 7th and 9th picture are especially amazing! I love everything about the 8th picture…totally my style. The 9th picture would be great at the beach too.

20. The 7th and 9th picture are especially amazing! I love everything about the 8th picture…totally my style. The 9th picture would be great at the beach too.

21. Amanda says:

I have long loved maps as well. I think a huge map in a little boys room,would be amazing!

22. Alyssa says:

I love the idea of maps behind the bed in a beach house- such a new way of decorating, I love it!

Alyssa
    ruffleandcurl.com

23. Brigitte says:

Erin:

I love the bed in the first picture. Its cream upholstered. We are looking for one for the guest room. Would you happen to know where this bed is from? I love it!

Thanks!