Indigo & Ochre (and some killer brass…)

One of Andrew’s magnificent cousins (he has a bevy of brilliant female cousins in his life) started a design company in her new home of Brooklyn, NY called Indigo & Ochre (they have a blog too).  She has always been involved in interiors, until this new venture (and two babies) she ran an amazing antiques shop in Hudson, NY, and I have always admired her taste.  One to covet and brilliantly use antiques from far flung locales the world over, she (and her business partner) make spaces look both comfortable and special.  Check out their own homes in Brooklyn…

DSC_2041-48

dsc_2043-051

DSC_1959-25

baby-india-room

Living-Room-with-shelves

This architectural detail slays me.

20111107-dsc_7001-163to-india-room

And these ladies sure know how to use brass fixtures.  I am a little bummed I didn’t put a brass faucet in my kitchen, and this just enhances my regret!

DSC_14663antique-bookcase-kitchen-cabinet-minimised

spices-minimised

This bathroom is AMAZING. Seriously.

dsc_2409-7

fiore-di-pesco

WOW WOW WOW WOW. That tub filler is making me feel all tingly.

dsc_2438-36dsc_2638-168

This is genius. The mirror, the faucet, the vintage sink and lovely tile.

dsc_2565-126dsc_2686-196

So many amazing details in each space. But that brass. Oh that brass!

guest bath after towel rail & marble nook

571-after

24 Responses to “Indigo & Ochre (and some killer brass…)”

1. Julie says:

that backsplash is unreal! the bathroom is so serene and yes, the architectural detail is phenomenal!

2. Donna Seger says:

Wow! Pretty amazing! Brooklyn seems to be the absolute center of the design world right now, and the shops in Hudson are wonderful as well.

3. You could step into this home 20 or even 50 years from now and it would be considered “stylish”, something I strive to achieve with all of my clients. Timeless antiques truly do render a long term investment. Thanks for sharing!

4. holy moly. I just pinned every freakin image. old + new + brass. Love it!

5. oh my goodness, these homes are literally perfection! total design envy right now!

6. One of the best bathrooms I’ve seen, just lovely.

7. alison g. says:

Pin-a-thon just happened.

8. Shelley says:

How did they mount the curtains that frame the bathtub? Perfection–love the details.

9. courtney says:

Erin!
    You’re the best and the dearest!
    Shanti + I are beyond flattered to be featured on Elements of Style – thank you thank you! Love your blog and have huge admiration for all you’ve done. Your blog readers are by far the most active and loyal in the blogosphere. Always admired (and envied) Andrew bringing his blogging/styling/designing wife coffee in bed when we staying in Boca Grande together – I was so impressed then with what you’d achieved and look at you now!
    With hugs and love from (cousin) Courtney, and Indigo & Ochre Design, in Brooklyn (come visit!! – room in the brownstone : ))

10. Stacy says:

Loved this post. Question, what was her shop in Hudson? My mom grew up there and my grandmother lived there her whole life so I spent many a day going “up Warren and down Main” – and loved watching Main St. transform into what it is today, the shops are amazing!! Hudson is a special place for me.

11. Shanti says:

Thank you Erin for your generous and lovely post. We’re so delighted to be in such great company. And thank you too for all the warm & wonderful comments.

In answer to Shelley’s question, to mount the curtains framing the tub, I repurposed an old Indonesian carved hanger (previously employed to display textiles) to serve as a shower curtain rod. I just screwed in hooks to the tops of the hanger and from the ceiling and used a link from an iron chain to suspend the hanger from the ceiling. More details on that here: http://indigochreblog.com/2012/12/12/re-imagined-the-cobbling-together-of-precious-bits/

12. Erin Gates says:

Stacy- Her shop was Circa Trade!

13. Erika says:

Stunning! This makes me feel so much better (and totally inspired!) about all the brass fixturing in the house we bought 15 months ago. Furnishing the house has been a sloooow process because I want to only buy things that I absolutey LOVE. I’ve been thinking more and more that I need to incorporate some antiques to help play up the brass. This solidifies it! Antiquing I go! What an amazingly talented extended family you have, Erin!

14. Shay says:

That bathroom is amazing! I’ve never seen anything like it.

15. courtney says:

Stacy – As Erin said – Circa Trade (www.circatrade.com), which was located within Hudson Supermarket (www.hudsonsupermarket.com) at 310 Warren Street, across from Red Dot!
    No longer there but miss it – an amazing place.

16. [...] Woke up this chilly Brooklyn morning (arrived, still sandy, from Jamaica last night) and on my morning blog-crawl what should I see but this (above) glorious post by Erin Gates on her ENORMOUSLY popular + influential + long-standing blog, Elements of Style. [...]

17. Jamie says:

Gorgeous!!! I am also obsessed with brass and the arabesque tile that is my kitchen backsplash :-)

18. This looks amazing! I love all the brass and how it looks like it was original with the home! Can you tell me where the brass and stone open shelving in the kitchen is from?!

19. Lorrie says:

Very cool, this is five minutes from my house by car. I will have to check it out some time. Just gorgeous.Pinning as well.

20. Emily says:

Totally skipped over your Downton post in a hurried panic because I DVR’ed it and have yet to catch up. I’m so sad it’s over.. and I might be even more sad once I see the episode. Anywho!

That house. The brass. The architectural details. THE BATHROOM. Ahh. Perfection, I say.

21. Paula says:

Do you know the source for the bathroom light fixtures? The entire home is gorgeous!
    Thank you for sharing!

22. Cris Angsten says:

This is all so beautiful I just want to cry! All that brass, the tile, the antiques, omgomgomg. *sob*

23. Natasha says:

Before I even read the text, I thought to myself “Brooklyn.” Those spaces are amazing. I was never a big fan of brass but the details in their homes have me dreaming of brass for my bathroom renovation. Lovely, just lovely. Thanks for sharing.

24. Emily says:

Love the sink with the faucet to the side. Brass is back! (I don’t think it was ever gone after seeing this!)