I Want to Go To There: The Point

There are places you want to visit because they surround you luxurious dream decor, and then there are places you want to visit to escape.  The Point in Saranac Lake, NY is one of those places.  It’s a glamorous camp, done in the style of the “great camps” of years past and famous families like the Rockefellers and Astors.  Of course, this kind of gives me the whole “Downton Abbey Visits Scotland” vibe- rustic but still grand…. so grand in fact, that on Wednesdays and Saturdays dinner requires a tuxedo.

point3

Jack Donagey would love it here.

jackdonaghy-tux

I love the thought of escaping to nature, hiking, boating and the like… but then getting all glammed up for cocktails! Don’t you?

gallery_0050_51

And of course, the rustic decor is not how I’d ever decorate my own home, but how fabulously cozy is it?

point1

gallery_0035_36

gallery_0036_37gallery_0037_38

gallery_0007_8

gallery_0029_30

gallery_0011_12

SERIOUSLY!? Can I be doing this right now?

gallery_0041_42

gallery_0021_22

Of course, my eye went RIGHT to the zebra back couch paired with buffalo plaid chairs. LOVE.

gallery_0043_44

And you’ll have to save ALL your pennies (and perhaps rob a bank) to stay here as it’s still priced for the Rockefellers and Astors. But hey- a girl can dream right?

gallery_0001_2

point4

34 Responses to “I Want to Go To There: The Point”

1. Mom says:

Calgon, take me away!

2. I worked down the lake for a few summers at a Young Life camp, in college. Which lead me to a short job at the point as their boat driver for about 4 months (til the lake freezes!) It was a opportunity I will never forget. The property truly is breathtaking and they treat you like royalty!

3. wow, this looks absolutely amazing!

4. Anna says:

I was lucky enough to stay there about eight years ago–it is heaven on earth. The rooms and decorations are breathtaking. Everyone is so nice–nothing pretentious. Hiked and explored the shoreline during the day, then got cleaned up and into formal attire and took a cocktail cruise on one of the boats followed by a seven course dinner (complete with cheese course). We ate at a big round table with the other guests. I was wiped out, but others went to a little hill overlooking the lake and had a campfire after dinner, sitting in big Adirondack chairs with blankets. If I am extra, extra lucky, maybe I’ll get to go back someday!

5. Jennifer Slattery says:

LOVE that bathroom and tub! Sounds amazing!

6. I want to come with! Better than sitting at work looking out at snow :(

7. this is so understated and so over the top at the same time – they used to not send out the address of it until you booked either, i think they still do that. there was a great article a few years back when the new maybach came out since they would leave the car for you in NYC with direction on how to get there so it was both weekend getaway and driving adventure. love that idea.

8. Halley says:

That part of NY is so beautiful. I would love to go back and stay here!

9. coby says:

That one picture makes me want to visit at Christmas! Looks amazing.

10. pve says:

It looks like a dream spot.
    pve

11. Beautiful photos, NY is so pretty.

12. Maggie says:

I worked here for a month the summer after my freshman year of college! It is just as gorgeous in person. Dream of going back as a guest.

13. Amanda says:

we have been to the much lower priced sister hotel…The lake Placid Lodge. Much more reasonable, and still wonderful. Makes me want to hang woolrich blankets on all my furniture and drink irish coffee all afternoon. My favorite perk was the person who restocks and sets up your bedroom fireplace each day! I could live like that!

14. It has been on my bucket list for years. LOVE! xx

15. Monika says:

Oh gosh, this looks perfect!!

16. Kathy says:

I got engaged there. It was spectacular!

17. Jennifer says:

That’s as close to camping as I’ll get!

18. Tara says:

Um yes, a girl can most definitely dream! This place looks like absolute perfection…down to every last detail. It looks so cozy and romantic!

19. Heather P. says:

As a young girl who loved going to camp, and as an adult now who loves Wes Anderson movies, this would be a great way to spend a week! I would probably rather go in the summer, though – I hate being cold on vacation!

Now…to find my husband a tuxedo…..

20. Caroline says:

Oh yes, this is as close to perfection as it gets! I’d even settle for staying in that AMAZEBALLS bathroom for days on days!

21. Angela says:

OMG – I so want to go there! Erin, you always find the most amazing places.

22. OMG, the “master bathroom”, can I say the perfect combination between the outdoors and luxury!
    Wood boats, I have always been obsessed with, I just think they are so beautiful
    And the Nautical bedroom, with red sofa, that’s where I want to stay!!!! I’ll have to tell my husband to make the reservations LOL

23. It’s a very cool place. We have a family camp nearby. Lots of fun to watch the comings and goings by boat and float plane. Lake Placid Lodge is nothing to sneeze at either. The character and charm of the old Lodge, before it burned, was something to behold. Fond memories of dinner and drinks on the deck outside the dining room.

Great Ferrari country, too.
    Heh,heh, heh…
    :-)

Cheers,
    John

24. OMG This place. It makes me feel warm inside!

25. If you are paying I’m on board for the trip! I simply adore places like that and I am going to snitch parts of your inspiration for a post on where I live. Watch for a pingback from a fan. Happy day.
    xoxo
    Cindy

26. Franki Parde says:

I COULD live there!! My hubby looks great in a tux!! franki

27. Melissa says:

We’re heading up to Sarnac Lake this summer over the 4th of July! My husband has been multiple times but I never have. Can’t wait! These pictures get me so excited. They live up to everything he’s ever told me about the area.

28. danielle says:

You should look at Muskoka in Ontario, Canada (Just 2 hours north of Toronto). The three main lakes up there (Lake Muskoka, Lake Rosseau and Lake Joseph) are lined with ‘cottages’ identical to that. You should look into renting one of them – I’m sure it would still be cheaper then staying here!

One of the main historical hotels to stay at in Muskoka is the Windermere House – just as stunning, and easier on the budget. I highly, highly highly recommend.

Its basically the Haptons of Toronto…..

29. Dennis says:

Wow… so amazing pics… NY Empire State of Mind …

30. [...] or experience that I would… whatever.” I think probably we all have. I read a  post by Erin over at Elements of Style that made me feel that way momentarily today. To see her full post go [...]

31. Melisa Ramsey says:

Hello There,
    My name is Melisa and I’m a Professional Blogger. I have more than 3+ yrs of experience writing for the web and have covered plenty of interesting topics.
    I came across your blog and was wondering if you would be interested in allowing me to write relevant & useful topics on your blog at no cost.
    At this point of my writing career, I simply want to get more visibility for my writing and I will write for free as long as you are fine with me adding a small author bio section following the blog post about myself.
    Please let me know if you are interested and if you’d like for me to submit a sample blog post for your approval.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Melisa

32. [...] Elements of Style posted on another relaxing getaway, The Point at Lake Saranac.  The photos below are from her blog. [...]

33. Patty Reed says:

Now THAT’S my idea of ” camping”!