I Want to Go to There (REAL BAD): Greenwich Hotel

No, it’s not in some far flung foreign locale or on a sunny beach of a tropical island- but rather in gritty but grand New York City- The Greenwich Hotel, my new “must stay at” destination for 2013! The rooms are the definition of understated luxury and each looks rather unique with tons of textural details. Did I mention Robert DeNiro owns it? Bonus cool factor.

greenwich-rooms-greenwich-deluxe-01

That big pillow is killing me. So good. The team behind the interiors, Grayling Design, really took their time to craft spaces that feel like home instead of a hotel.

greenwich-rooms-studio-01

Oh hi amazing bathroom. Look at those sinks, will you? Insanity.

corner-bathroom_cr

Charm. Charm. Charm.

greenwich_hotel-gallery-06

Interesting.  So not your typical hotel lobby at all.

greenwich_hotel-gallery-02

Hold the phone- vintage rugs AND THEY TAKE DOGS?? Pack your bones, Bax and Ollie!

greenwich-rooms-corner-02

There’s that gorgeous green I’ve been obsessed with! So love it mixed with the natural wood!

greenwich-rooms-greenwich-suite-03

That is some tile, y’all.

greenwich-rooms-greenwich-deluxe-02

Clean. Serene. Simple. European. J’Adore!

greenwich-rooms-courtyard-01

If those are macaron bedtime treats then you can just kill me now.

greenwich_hotel-gallery-08

I don’t think we can even talk about the penthouse. Can we? It feels like we all might freak out and get very depressed if we do.

greenwich-rooms-greenwich-suite-01

Yeeeeaaaaahhh. I will never get to stay here.

greenwich-rooms-greenwich-suite-02

I hear the spa is amazing.  As is the pool.

greenwich_hotel-gallery-01

The restaurant is Locanda Verde- which I also hear is the cat’s pajamas (will never understand that saying, BTW)

locanda2

This makes me think people are right. A good bolognese is my weakness.

LOcanda-8

Has anyone been? Do tell if you have!

31 Responses to “I Want to Go to There (REAL BAD): Greenwich Hotel”

1. Hillary says:

Rumor has it that DeNiro’s good friend and costar Bradley Cooper is a regular. Just when you think the place couldn’t be more attractive……

2. Erin Gates says:

Yes, my friend who stayed there saw him there in fact!!!!

3. Marie Warne says:

I’ve been to Locanda Verde, the restaurant in the Greenwich Hotel. The ambiance, service and food were exceptional. I went with my friend who lives in New York, whom I was staying with, and we saw Ed Burns walking towards us as we left the restaurant. Very handsome.

4. Flirtygems says:

I have heard this expression from my mother so I actually know what it means it means someone is very stylish I guess early on they didn’t wear PJS guess they were all naked in the early 1900′s :)

5. wonderful spot. especially that bath…

6. Heather says:

Locanda Verde is amazing. I’ve been there a bunch of times and the food is always exceptional. You must get the herbed goat’s milk ricttoa and lamb meatballs. The menu changes seasonally and everything I’ve had including the dessert menu has been incredible.
    Here is a great recipe from the restaurant that is pretty easy to make. Pappardelle with Lamb Ragu:

7. Eileen says:

We are going to NY in April for our 10-year wedding anniversary. We are planning to stay in Midtown to be centrally located to everything, but that hotel looks amazing and the bolognese has me drooling (I will need to try out that restaurant)! A cup of Jo blog has excellent recommendations for NY restaurants and outings if you are planning a trip there.

8. Sara B says:

Locande Verde is excellent. I went for brunch – the pastries were outrageous and my latte had a heart in the froth. I was too busy stuffing my face to look for celebs.

9. Franki Parde says:

Be STILL MY HEART!! This looks wonderful!! NYC…here I come!! franki

10. Min says:

I stayed there for my husband’s birthday last February, and it was better than I expected. The rooms are beautiful (we were upgraded to a room with a balconette overlooking the courtyard – so peaceful for NYC), the floors are gorgeous Sundance-y type wood (and smells like the real thing), the bedding is so comfy, and the bathrooms are so lux – the tiling is gorgeous, and the water pressure is perfect – the largest overhead rain shower fixture I’ve experienced, literally falls softly over your entire body. If you’re a guest, you can access the guest-only bar/lounge, which feels like a library from a hipster downton abbey, has a gorgeous fireplace (always burning in the winter), and opens up to the courtyard. Best secret – Locanda Verde, one of my favorite restaurants, actually provides room service if you are a guest! And you can get resys at the restaurant much more easily if you are a guest! Locanda has the most amazing ricotta – savory at dinner, and sweet at brunch. I can’t wait for another special occasion to stay there again!

11. Christine says:

I live across the street from the hotel which is located in Tribeca. This place is a celebrity haven. We see celebs leaving there almost every other week. Really cool understated vibe as is the The Crosby Street Hotel. Locanda Verde – the restaurant un-related to The Greenwich Hotel is good too – which you’ve mentioned. The chef there is a hit in NYC – Andrew Carmellini.

12. EvY says:

YES, to the restaurant only. Our A+ directors like to stay here, it is expensive, $600/night. The restaurant is un-be-lievable. We ate our way around New York last time we were there and this was our best meal hands down. The pasta is incredible and even the appetizer bread you know, the kind that you usually just ignore was a fine toasted focaccia with a thinly sliced tomato on top. Drool. Forget it, going there on Wednesday again.

Also I might have been extra generous reviewer ’cause the waiter comped our wine.

If you’re a nerd like me, the Ghostbusters headquarters is around the corner so hit that up too for a good instagram op.

13. d says:

Locanda Verde is UNBELIEVABLE. The past 5 times i’ve been in NYC that has been a must-eat dinner spot. Actually, one of the last times we were there, the reservations were running a little behind so we took refuge in the lobby of the hotel, and while sitting with a glass of wine waiting, we noticed dozens of men dressed in all black with earbud speakers/headphones. Secret Service! Turns out Joe Biden was having a party in the private room of LV – quite the spectacle. Saw his daughter being followed to the washroom by 3 different agents. Can you imagine? Needless to say, we certainly felt safe eating there that night. That said, at this restaurant or in that lobby, you’re destined to see some sort of celebrity.

ps: everyone above me is spot on with having to order the Sheeps Milk Ricotta crostini – i’m drooling thinking about it!

14. pve says:

Just sayin, if you do one of your classes on anything, sign me up now. We could all bunk in that penthouse, right!
    Locanda Verde is on my list!!!!
    pve

15. Raychel says:

I’ve had many clients in that penthouse and it is insane!

16. Nicole says:

I went to Locanda Verde and saw JAKE GYLLENHAAL. I DIED!

17. Cassandra says:

I used to live across the street when they were building the hotel. I was dying over the huge window in the penthouse. You should see how big it is! Amazing space. The hotel is beautiful and a great location for not-as-touristy New York visitors!

18. Caroline says:

What a gorgeous hotel! To get to be in NYC and also stay in this little retreat… Lord, please help me.

19. Angela says:

Looks very Parisian, but with quirky decorating touches that you wouldn’t find there. Love the wood, the rugs, the colors, the cozy furniture. So going to stay here the next time I visit New York! Thanks, Erin, for the tip!

20. Kenson says:

It’s on http://www.jetsetter.com right now!

21. Coco says:

had a work event there last year… it is FABULOUS. the suites are amazing, the service is unparalleled. they have a complimentary mercedes sedan that will take guests anywhere below 23rd street. they have the best snack baskets in rooms that are also complimentary. you must try!!

22. Kathleen says:

I will take every last one of the light fixtures pictured in this post and a plate of the Bolognese, please.

23. PattyB says:

Hey Erin – you have been having “melt down” over a chandelier for your dining room. Well, I think you found it without even knowing. The studio suite at The Greenwich Hotel, (your second shot above) has a chandelier that would be amazing in your dining room. Just love…..I would change out the shades to something a little more funky to give it more of an edge!

24. Janthu says:

The Greenwich was my introduction to NY, and what a first impression! After hours and hours flying there from Australia, it was the most amazing place – ever. The room, the bathroom, the steam room and swimming pool, the courtyard, the food basket, all we’re fabulous! Also THE MOST amazingly comfortable bed I have ever been in. So beautiful. I dream of going back there some day. I was spoilt rotten those two days, worth EVERY penny.

25. Janthu says:

26. Janthu says:

If anyone knows or can find out what brand of bedding they use I will be forever grateful! Like it was woven by angels.

27. Jackie says:

Stayed there in November and it was worth every single penny. The bell boys dress in Barbour coats, the staff is incredibly friendly and the pool area is a little oasis in the city. To boot, Bradley Cooper was there having breakfast in the private study one morning. Book a room – you won’t regret it.

28. Sheena Kali says:

I totally drew inspiration from this piece.

29. Natasha says:

LV is fantastic. We have breakfast meetings there all the time and the service is great. I haven’t spotted any celebrities but that may be because we’re there so early. I have to agree with another reviewer, The Crosby Street hotel is also nice. We’ve held a couple of events there and the food was terrific. Plus I love the decor.

30. Sophie says:

Erin, firstly I love your blog!

Second, locande verde is my absolute favourite restaurant IN THE WORLD. It is SO GOOD! You must try it.

I wrote about it here on my blog: http://sipsavourshare.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/nyc-locande-verde/

Good luck with your kitchen Reno! I’m sure it’ll be amazing as you have such great taste:)

31. Wow those interiors are amazing!! My sister has been to Locanda Verde and blogged about it at laurenlovestoeat.com (Jan 25th – she went for restaurant week!). Looked amazing. haha