I Want to Go to There: Colony Palms Hotel

The thing about vacations is that they get you thinking about all the other places you want to go.  While lounging by the pool yesterday Andrew and I were chatting about going back to Palm Springs, to our beloved The Parker where we had one of our most fun trips to date.  I had heard grumblings that the hotel has gone downhill in the past couple years (I hope not and would love to hear if you’ve been).  So I was checking out some other options in Palm Springs and now have The Colony Palms Hotel on my travel wishlist!

Martyn Lawrence Bullard of Million Dollar Decorators helped renovate the historic hotel.  I am loving this room with the outdoor lounge!

Look at that striped fireplace!

A pic of the hotel in it’s past incarnation….

It all feels so Slim Aarons to me. Must go back.

24 Responses to “I Want to Go to There: Colony Palms Hotel”

1. Franki Parde says:

Who could NOT have fun there….I had FUN just looking at the photos!! franki

2. Sandi says:

My husband and I made a quick get away last February and stayed at the Colony. Small, quaint, the perfect 4 day retreat. We also had brunch at the Viceroy -you might look at it to stay!

3. Lorna says:

I stayed at the Colony Palms in May, for a long weekend. I thought the hotel was stylish, charming and fun. The decor was unique. The only downside was spotty service. Definitely spring for the little casitas instead of a room, if you can. I found a good deal on LuxuryLink for a package for a casita.

4. I’ve seen Colony Palms come up a few times on Jetsetter and can’t wait to jump on a deal there. I visited the Parker last year and, while I love that property, it did seem a bit tired. Some of the common areas were a bit worn and not necessarily well maintained. Its a gem with such character, though, so that stuff is easy to overlook. Still love it!

5. Kate says:

Stayed at The Parker last May and sadly I feel like it has gone a little downhill. I love the decor and vibe there though and you still get a bit of that. However the service and grounds just didn’t seem what they should be considering the cost to stay there. Highly recommend the Colony Palms or even The Ace Hotel!

6. Erin says:

This hotel looks amazing! I love Palm Springs—my husband and I stayed at the Horizon Hotel there two years ago. It has a cool mid-century modern, understated feel to it.

-Erin-
    OneTwoSummer

7. Kristin says:

i just booked a trip for colony last night for work! i thought of staying at parker because the pictures looked amazing, but sad to hear about the decline . . . it’s not cheap! i’ll have you let you know how the stay goes. very excited!

8. Jacklyn says:

Spot on with this write-up, I seriously believe that this
    amazing site needs far more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the info!

9. Jennifer says:

We just got back from PS yesterday, and I actually posted about it on my blog today, too! We ate at the Parker for breakfast on Monday, and it’s a totally different experience now that we have a child. Still makes me sooo happy to walk through that orange door, though! Dying to check out the Colony ever since MDD featured MLB’s redo last year.

10. Amy says:

I love The Parker too and especially the decor done by Jonathan Adler. I haven’t been in ages so I have no idea if it has gone downhill, but wouldn’t be surprised if it is in need of a revamp, it’s been a few years. I love the Colony, but than I still can’t get enough of the Suzani trend. I have Donghia suzani and Lee Jofa Pardah pillows in my living room. I love the exotic Morrocan look. Did you see the episode on season 1 of Million Dollar Decorators where Martin Lawrence Bullard decorated the guest house?

11. Decorno says:

The service at the Parker is really abysmal. I love the grounds and the whole place has so much potential, but the service is LOUSY. This is based off two trips, two years apart. The Viceroy is very tired… the rooms are dated now and the place needs a facelift (again), but the service is fantastic. So, now I just stay at The Viceroy, but pay a day rate or book a treatment at the Parker when I want to enjoy the grounds/pool/petanque, etc. But then I head back to Viceroy where the service is grown-up, discreet, and responsive.

12. Caroline says:

Stunning!!! That striped fireplace has officially rendered me speechless!

13. Anngelik says:

That looks stunning! I would love to stay there for at least a week!

-Vogue&Heels
    vogueandheels.wordpress.com

14. Lisa says:

This place looks amazing!

15. JKK says:

Love the Colony Palms! We stayed there for my bachelorette party back in 2008 when it first reopened. Their poolside cocktails are amazing (try the lavender mojito or Pimm’s cup) and the restaurant is also great! I’ve been back a few times since and it’s always lovely. Still have to go to Norma’s at the Parker for breakfast, though!

16. I live in Palm Springs, The Colony is definitely my favorite hotel in the area. There are other really great boutique hotels in the area to also check out!

17. marla fernandes says:

Myself and my three sisters decided to dine at the Colony and it was awesome. We toured around the grounds and looked at some of the rooms and it was beautiful just like in the pictures! It is within walking distance to some really nice home decor stores!
    I love Palm Springs!!!!

18. looks absolutely amazing! i’d love to be there right about now instead of in the freezing cold weather we are having right now in the midwest.

19. [...] Erin’s post on the Colony Palms Hotel in Palm Springs, CA – now I want to go there [...]

20. I LOVED the Colony Palms, it is boutique and quaint. The staff was very nice and it has a cozy feel. I had always stayed at The Parker, and the last time we were there things were lovely – the service, the food, decor, etc. I have to say I did contact my connection there to note that the bed in our suite was not at all what it had been in the past, and the hidden pool was closed the entire day for a photo shoot. The guests were not informed about the closure and it was awkward to walk up and be told that we could not use the pool that day. If The Parker is listening – please be a guest at your own resort and note some of the pieces that make it too easy for visitors to choose other hotels. There is a lot of competition in Palm Springs! I love the ACE, too, although more of a young party vibe.

21. Beth says:

I live in Vancouver BC and every year we need an escape from the rain. We always stay at the viceroy. Sure it needs a bit of updating, but the service is excellent. The concierge & staff really go out of their way to make sure enjoy your stay at their hotel and see the best palm springs has to offer. The servers at the pool are always attentive, but never overbearing. We usually go during the week because on the weekends it’s more of a party crowd- and week day rates are such a great deal. Great location too! Your post inspired me to book a trip to PS today!

22. Anne says:

I stayed at a both properties in Nov ’11. While my room at the Parker was a tad tired,it was nothing like the poor condition of a room that I checked out at the Viceroy. You can’t beat the grounds at The Parker and I had a great meal (sumptuous duck breast) at Mister Parkers. A bonus was going when the weather is great, and the deals amazing – my room was $249/night with a $200 food or spa credit (Note – they run this deal frequently outside of Jan-Mar). The Parker only had avail for 2 nights so I then tried the Colony given the quality of the Viceroy at $250/night and no credits.. Yes, the style of the Colony is wonderful, but my room already felt more worn -more so than the Parker – despite being newer. My meal was medicore, and the clientele felt a bit cheesy. I paid $125/night. I personally would pay $300/night for the Parker with no credits vs. $125/night at the Colony.

23. It’s amazing, how beautifully they decorate it & manage it. I like it very much. Thanks for sharing this beautiful post with us.

24. kristin says:

my husband and i just got back from the parker last night. we had stayed there a few years before and wanted to go back (but was fearful after your post). i can say that we had an absolutely fantastic time!!! the grounds are to.die.for, the spa is incredible, service was great, food was great…only complaint is that it’s very pricey. we loved it though and would go back in a second.