Downton. I Caved.

I am so very late to the Downton Abbey train, but man am I glad I decided to climb aboard! I am only on season 2 episode 4 so don’t spoil anything for me, but I am 100% HOOKED. I should have listened to all of you sooner! I can’t get enough of the Dowager Countess or Matthew and Lady Mary (or Carsom- sucha crush on Carson!) The decor and costumes make the storyline all the more engaging- even the opening credits are stunning! It so sets the tone for the show and there are such fabulous little vignettes in it. Look here…. (and expect many more Downton posts!)

vlcsnap2011111901h00m26

Get the look with Farrow & Ball’s Arsenic paint and LS Fabrics Orro damask fabric.

1002141104639

Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 7.27.36 AM

Frame a window with solid green silk drapes like these from Overstock and beaded trim like this one from LS Fabrics.

63765f4f-bf74-4cf8-99a1-79ad14a8682f_6001093845_1

downton_abbey_bells

Mix black and brass (always) using a campaign side table or this fireplace tool set.

Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 8.11.31 AMmaster_MA817

Screen shot 2011-11-07 at 15.05.59

Set the table with gold rimmed china and cut crystal wine goblets.

Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 8.01.11 AMHCH33WM_mx

tumblr_ls9mmsA4aB1qznvc7o1_500

Crystal chandeliers EVERYWHERE. This and this.

HCH64VD_cxHCH6ECU_cx

This show is making me think I need to add more traditional English elements to my home! Dman you, Crawley’s!

32 Responses to “Downton. I Caved.”

1. FlirtyGems says:

I caved too!!!! Love those chandeliers they are perfection brass and crystal is just perfect!

2. Mo says:

I am SOOO addicted! Catch up quickly, it just keeps getting better…
    I LOVE the opening song and credits – the wooden shutters on the windows with green silk drapes are perfect!
    Enjoy!

3. LOVE this. Perfect picks, as usual! :)

4. Grace says:

So glad you’re on the Downton train. I watched Season 1 as it aired in the UK when I was living on that side of the pond in 2010 and then we moved back Stateside and I was DYING having to wait 6 extra months for it to finally air here (although it makes me so mad that they edit the episodes for American TV, and Laura Linney – don’t get me started)!! It’s so good – a definite obsession – and this post was perfect!

5. Yes! I’ve been in love with that green wall color. I wondered which room it was in Season 2 and finally found out in Season 3. Watching DA definitely caused me to be a loyal reader of http://www.theenglishhome.co.uk/ which seems to only be available in print. I’ve stalked and found it at our little grocery store out in the sticks in RI, but am thinking about subscribing. So jealous you have all of Season 2 for the first time – and it’s even better watching it the second time around. Enjoy!

6. Stephanie says:

What is up with Laura Linney? Also, Erin, there’s a YouTube clip called “Sh*t the Dowager Countess Says” which is pretty hilarious.

Looking forward to many Downton posts in the future!

7. I love this show!! There outfits are gorgeous and oh the drama…

8. Megan says:

I love this post! I love seeing a concept built from a small inspiration!

I came late to the Downton train too. We canceled cable a couple weeks ago (I’m using the cash on hot yoga classes instead) and we bought a Roku. I’ve been watching Downton on Amazon Prime and am finally caught up to the most recent episode. I won’t give much away but where I’m at in the show is now the 1920′s and the fashion is AMAZING! I wish we could bring it back!!

9. Franki Parde says:

Farrow & Ball’s Arsenic paint..gorgeous! The crystal chandeliers…when one uses them most is at…night….another GORGEOUS! franki

10. erin i am completely in the same boat. i started watching it on netflix three weeks ago and literally barely left my living room until i had watched both seasons. the dowager countess is just amazing, and would give anything to have carson as my butler {or best friend}. and don’t even get me started on lady mary…too fabulous!!

11. Elizabeth says:

You know what other show uses arsenic (or something like it)?! Who’s the Boss. I am an 80′s child and my mom bought me the boxed set (less than legally, I think, as it hasn’t been wholly released by the studio) as a “nursing show” to watch while I breastfeed our new baby girl.

Come to think of it, the Who’s the Boss house may inspire you too – white house, black shutters, lots of brass…

Love your site!

12. We caved too…and we are in about the same spot in the series :-) Love it!!!

13. Quiana says:

Ha ha! Yes, another one joins the club. It is so good, isn’t it? I’m 1 1/2 episodes behind on Season 3. Keep trying to catch up but my 2 1/2 year old wears me out all day that by the moment I go to watch it I fall asleep. LOL!

14. Lauren Wall says:

It is the most amazing show in so many ways! Does this mean you will be choosing the Visual Comfort Paris Flea Market chandelier for your dining room now?:) My parents gave me a Waterford crystal chandelier that I have been carting around in boxes for the past 10 years, lacking the ceiling height to hang it. We are renovating our home now and our going to try it out in our dining room, but if it’s still too large for the space then I think I’ll be choosing the Daphne chandelier your recommended. I love the cut of those crystals–it will always remind me of Downton! Thanks for the suggestion

15. So glad you caved! It’s such a great show. I love your inspiration finds — who wouldn’t want to live in Downton?

16. Elise says:

Aw man, I’ve been holding off on the Downton train because I will compare their grand interiors to my IKEA setups. So much class envy!

17. Our living room is in a classic English library style with a fireplace, chair rail and crown molding, in a deep deep green color. Our furniture is all cherry. People thought we were nuts but we have a lot of windows in that room and it is stunningly balanced.

18. Kathleen says:

We need a Downton Abby-style Fashion Friday for sure!

19. Cecilia says:

It’s the best thing to happen to television in a long long time! Glad you are enjoying it.

20. Cocktail Mom says:

So glad you caved. You turned a great inspiration into a fabulous post.

21. Ashley says:

I caved too recently & we are right there with you Season 2, ep. 5ish. Love all the sterling silver too (typically handled by Carson). Also, love the L&S fabric you highlighted. So gorge.

22. BLAIRE says:

Curtains that drape the floor!! Something I’ve dreamed about every since my elementary school friend’s mom had these – white long drapes on hardwood floors with fresh sunflowers on the dining room table ;)
    Beautiful looks!

ChicRedneck.blogspot.com

23. Jill says:

I caved last week… Hooked!
    Can’t wait for more Downton posts!

24. Caroline says:

Noooo, stop. I’ve been trying so hard not to watch because I know I’ll get addicted and whoops, there goes all of my time… I know I can’t resist for too much longer!

25. Emily says:

Thanks for the great post today, Erin! I really enjoyed it! I, too, am late to hop on the Downton Abbey train. I just finished watching the first episode in Season 2. And just like everyone else, I am hooked! I’m looking forward to reading more of your Downton posts!

26. Cara says:

YAY!!! Welcome aboard!! It’s the best show… Trying to refrain from downloading Season 3 and watch it all in one weekend, but the Hubs has asked for me to show some restraint! Enjoy! and keep the “get the look” s coming!

27. Miya says:

That’s my china! I love it so much, highly recommend to people looking for a less expensive pattern. Except we are bad and we wash it in the dishwasher, so now it wouldn’t pass muster at Downton anymore… except maybe for hunting party lunches…

28. KElly Gasner says:

How funny, I just caved as well, and devoured Season 1. My whole weekend is devoted to Season 2! And damn YOU, Erin, for putting up such tempting inspiration and luring me into wanting to redecorate my own home in the English style.

29. Holly Irwin says:

Join the club! I’m a late-comer too and so glad I caved as well!!

30. Those adorable little brass “door bells” are my favorites on the opener. And the Dowager gets THE BEST lines. Love that show.

31. I’ve still only finished season 1! I watched it months ago but still have to catch up on seasons 2 and 3, so you’re ahead of me! haha

32. Welcome to the Downton world. I borrowed the season 1 DVD set from a friend, and The Mr. and I watched it through during a rainy beach vacation week. Was so glad when it came back on last month. I love to watch the irony of the upper class world vs. the lower class world.