Gilded Frames

I am in the process of laying out my gallery wall going up my stairs, which poses a problem since I’m transitioning from all nickel to brass on my house.  In an effort to conserve some money I’m spray painting some of my simple frames gold and others I’m replacing with more ornate, carved frames from antique shops and eBay.  I so love the way ornate gold frames look, especially in a more modern space!  It makes art look more important (especially if it’s your own photography or a low cost print!

13 Responses to “Gilded Frames”

1. My style has changed so much over the past 5 years but the one constant is that I LOVE gilded frames. They will look great in you stairwell.

I hope you had a great holiday!

2. Fabulous idea. I have dark walls like that photo with the white accents & some gilded frames would look awesome!

3. Amy says:

Good luck with your gallery wall. I am sure that it will look great. Have you seen this blog post on getting the look of an expensive gold frame? http://aubreyandlindsay.blogspot.com/2012/09/making-gold-frames.html?m=1

I think I may try it out since it is too cold to spray paint outside.

4. Ivy Lane says:

Can’t wait to see it when you finish! I am working on the gallery hallways in my house…. I am so afraid to mess it up!

5. Michelle says:

I am a firm believer in a mixture of gold and silver! Works well in retirement portfolios as well as interior design.

6. Ann T. says:

I recently gold leafed several frames for my gallery wall. It was surprisingly easy to do, and I love the results.

7. Lisa says:

Great Minds Think Alike! I’m in the process of doing the same thing, Erin! What color gold are you using on your frames?

8. nicole says:

In the process of doing this myself! There is something so rich about the antique gold frames. Heading to the antique shop in my town tomorrow. They have some killer frames for super cheap! Good luck!

9. Franki Parde says:

That b/w wallpaper with gold frames…gorgeous!! I just sprayed with “Vintage Metallic Gold” and lightly “Umbered” here and there..FUN STUFF! franki

10. Holly Irwin says:

Great idea ith the spray paint! Will save big $$$! Gilded frames look so glamorous…..I especially like them on clean white walls like in the contemporary bedroom…..thanks for an inspiring post!

xo

Holly

11. Countrydesignhome says:

Love the look of a well-constructed gallert wall, and always love gilded frames! You might also try a simple DIY project with some gold leaf- easy to apply and the results are striking.

12. Bama in NC says:

Try rub and buff – works great!

13. Erika says:

I love this look and am hoping to pull it off in my house as well. Will you keep us posted about the results of your spray painting? Great idea.