Fashion Friday: Best of NYFW

There were some pretty clear trends illustrated in the collections shown at New York Fashion Week, so it’s helpful to outline them now so you might be able to purchase some sale items for fall/winter NOW knowing they will be “in” next season!

- Deep red and mustard yellow- a little bit ketchup and mustard together, but independently these are the CLEAR hot colors for fall 2012.

- Black is the new black. (Black will ALWAYS be in for me)

- Metallics are still hip in a BIG way- gold or silver reign, but mostly gold.

- Winter white was everywhere too!

- Pantsuits with pants that fit slim in the thigh and flare out at the ankle. Think a 1970′s rocker silhouette. Long hemlines.

- Peacoats- buy them now, in navy or black.

- LEATHER! EVERYWHERE! in black or the big trend, in COLORS. Deep red/ maroon leather was shown at many shows. But leather skirts, pant (thank GOD) and jackets were BIG.

- Fur. Real or fake, it was everywhere. Just like it was on the streets of Paris.

- Belts. Lots of belts- skinny and wide alike.

Some of my must have (in my dreams) pieces from the collections:

10 Crosby Derek Lam:

J.Mendel

Derek Lam:

Victoria Beckham:

Naeem Khan:

Chado Ralph Rucci:

Rachel Zoe:

Michael Kors:

Erin Featherton:

Ralph Lauren:

DVF:

All images via style.com

17 Responses to “Fashion Friday: Best of NYFW”

1. love that beige top with orange belt and pencil skirt at the end!!

Bethany

2. Lindsay says:

So many great pics! I love the first two looks by Derek Lam. So cool and chic!

3. Karena says:

I am seeing so many great collections; very elegant chic designs!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

4. coby says:

great recap! loving all the leather.

5. Love the updates on your fashion finds – especially that black is always the new black and will reign. I also love that gold is making a comeback – I have been promoting this revival for awhile now!
    Much love,
    B

6. Janice says:

Love all the looks, very sophisticated – especially that all white Derek Lam number with sweater, that is definitely being pinned as an inspiration look for me. Also time to look for some leather on sale!! Thanks for the eye candy :-)

7. Great picks…Rachel Zoe was top notch for me. Hoping to buy a cute leather skirt for the fall.

8. Neda says:

I love your choices. The last J. Mendel makes me want to throw a party just to wear it. Have a great weekend!

9. ohhhhhhhhh j. mendel… swoon. thanks for the recap!

10. Cecilia says:

WOW…the question is…where would you wear those frocks to? :) That’s part of the fun!

11. Heather says:

Oooh thats a toss up for me between Derek Lam and Rachel Zoe!

~Heather

12. Greg – I agree, Marchesa was beyond! I’ve definitely noticed that red has been cropping up a lot… now I just need to invest in some gold and leather :)
    ~el

13. Mac Hamb says:

Interesting justification. I prefer to see clearly Martha

14. marketing says:

HI
    i would like to say thank you about this cool post, and this idea very helpful to me and nice article

15. Erin says:

I giggled when I saw this as we picked so many of the same favorites. Love your blog and your style! If we get any of our wish list items, let’s coordinate. Ha! xo

My post is here: http://www.imperfectpolish.com/2012/02/nyfw-weekend-wishes.html

16. Mary says:

Can’t wait to start in on curating some of these pieces… especially leather!