Dream Outdoor Space + MDD

I was asked by the folks at Bravo’s new hit show Million Dollar Decorators to create a dream outdoor space based on this inspiration image- a city roof deck perfect for lounging and dining. The timing is perfect since it’s finally outdoor weather here in the Northeast! Now, they said I could make it any shape, size, etc. so my layout is based on something similar tot his but with a more rectangular shape….

I immediately knew I wanted something modern but with a hint of tradition, black and white with a bold dash of color.  As most of you know, I’m very inspired by Mary McDOnald’s style and I think this space kind of reflects her glamour with my own personal love of laid back living. So here’s the board I came up with….

And here’s my concept for a layout- dedicated spaces for lounging, sunbathing and dining- what more could you want in a roof deck (well, in previews for this week’s episode, I know Martyn thinks a pool would make it “delicious”!)

Here are the sources and notes for the board above!
1. Hedges planted atop side walls.
2. Back pillows of banquette in white Sunbrella fabric trimmed in Kravet Coral outdoor
fabric.
3. Banquette seat cushions in Perennials Big Stripe in Black Tie.
4. Wally Wall via Design Within Reach.
5. Planter via Design Within Reach.
6. Custom designed banquette by Erin Gates Designs.
7. Banquette pillows in Trina Turk Fronds Outdoor fabric through F. Schumacher.
8. Dining Chairs by Obrien Ironworks.
9. String lights (woven into trellis above dining table) via Restoration Hardware.
10.  Lanterns above dining table via Tazi Designs.
11. Fire table via Restoration Hardware.
12. Stone greyhounds via Restoration Hardware.
13. Dining Table via Restoration Hardware.
14. Chaises via Janus et Cie.
15. Garden stool via Mecox Gardens.
16. Chaise lumbar pillows in Perennials City Kitty.
17. Chaise in coral Kravet outdoor fabric piped in black Kravet outdoor fabric.
18. Retractable awning above banquette.
19. Outdoor rug via Home Decorators Collection.

33 Responses to “Dream Outdoor Space + MDD”

1. great job erin – i am all about a fabulous outdoor rug and the banquette coupled with a fire table is brilliant.

2. Kelly says:

Lovely outdoor space! Great job. I was a little curious about your title though; I work in the pharmaceutical industry, so whenever I see “MDD” I think ‘major depressive disorder’. Glad I was way off :)

3. Great products and layout! I can totally picture this great design! I hope we come to see it alive!

4. Hah! Guess your great re-caps caught their attention! It was really fun to see your sketch, too. As a spacially-challenged person, these visual queues are so helpful to understand how a look really pulls together.

I hope you share more of your real-life projects soon!

5. How exciting! I love your inpiration board. Such a beautiful color scheme.

6. Jennifer says:

You had me at Rooftop…but now that you threw in some chaise loungers and a fantastic place to eat, I am more than sold!

7. Catherine says:

I am surprised you were not more original. Copying ideas already seen on the show? huh? You are in the Northeast, right? Why not create something with that sensibility?!

8. Ooh, very Upper East Side, I love it! Heart the splash of coral especially :)
    ~el

9. cara says:

eeek! can’t wait to see it!

10. Oh that is fabulous! I have not started watching MDD yet but I think you have me convinced. Sometimes it is just so hard for me and my DVR to commit to another TV show. I’ll set up the recording for this week!

11. Ali says:

Love it. Great color choices, the corals are so fun!

12. Kyle Knight says:

Looks fantastic, I wish Bravo would make it happen in real life and throw you a cocktail party up there :)

13. Amber Murphy says:

So awesome Erin!!!

14. Lorrie says:

It’s very pretty but I don’t think fire table in 85 degree weather. It looked good in Courtney Cox’s place that you featured 2 weeks ago but that is a bigger area. A Northeast rooftop is much smaller. Nice for the fall though.

I saw your tips in Better Homes & Gardens this month.

15. Nan says:

wine fridge. so you!

16. Karen says:

I guess we now know why you became less critical of the show and started back peddling.

17. Renee says:

You are amazing! Saw some other designs on other blogs….. I’d pick yours!!!!!!

18. Janine says:

Erin, this translates into a very underwhelming post. I get that #MDD is sinking in ratings and reaching out to big name bloggers such as yourself. You shouldn’t underwhelm your readers and water down your brand. You are not a designer by trade, and it shows into these types of posts. I urge you to sticking to what you know, your readers will be happier.

19. Erin Gates says:

Janine- I AM an interior designer by trade- you might want to research a little bit before leaving comments such as this one.

20. I love it!!!! Who wouldn’t want an urban terrace with so much green?!? Often times you see urnab outdoor living and it is abit cold…I love this! Fabtastic:)

21. karen f. says:

Yikes — tough crowd. Sour grapes much?

22. Flirtygems says:

Love the black and white with pops of coral very chic Erin Great Job and remember you have one unlike others!

23. Cecilia says:

That would make a lovely space. Who wouldn’t want that!?! You’re such a talent. xo

24. HHL says:

Haha. The ” you aren’t a designer by trade” made me laugh out loud! I had a rough day, so I enjoyed the silly, and utterly incorrect comment.

25. lily says:

Gorgeous !! Love the custom banquette !

xxLily
    goldandgray.com

26. Beth says:

Last year we won a decking contest from trex – we live in Lincoln Park in chicago and have a totally urban rooftop deck. Eddie Ross was assigned as our designer and the actual deck construction (reconstruction) starts next week. We are pumped and my design concept for the extras is totally similar to this – lots of seating, big planters, and black and whites for the fabric. Love your inspiration/layout!

27. Linda says:

This is great design. If Bravo had any sense they’d put you in the next season.

28. Janice Ratliff says:

Regardless of how “delicious” the pool would be, how the hell do you engineer after-fact-fact for a pool?? can that even be done without major support from below? Cannot wait to see what you come up with!! would love to see you on Bravolicious!!!

29. Casie says:

OMG- literally, I fell asleep the other night watching the episode with Tamara Mellon and then had a dream that I lived in her RIDICULOUS NYC apartment and was having a super glam party in her outdoor space. *dream on sista* haha!
    But I love what you did here!!!!!! GORG!

30. [...] Erin Gates who writes the blog Elements of Style was asked to design a sophisticated rooftop garden for Bravo’s Million Dollar Decorators. She [...]

31. Sasha says:

Love that you went with coral, black & white. Of course, I could be kinda partial, since that’s the color scheme I chose for my front porch. Nice job.

32. I am going crazy over here. I just had a discussion about this same subject with my father and he wouldn’t believe me. With your blog I can prove him I am wright and he’s wrong! Thanks