A Love of Opposites.

I am a walking, talking  study in contradictions. I can be out of my mind obsessed with one style and then just as enamored with the complete opposite. The only thread connecting the two is that I simply love beautiful things.  An excellent illustration of this are these two homes I fell for in the NY Times- this super modern Washington State home and this amazing, natural lofty Parisian townhome.

These spaces could not be more different, yet I adore them both for the same reason.  They evoke an emotional feeling and speak to their locations eloquently.  This sleek coastal home on Puget Sound was literally built into the rocks, even using some of the rock inside to create an incredible sink.  The design is so contemporary and unique, yet it has such a natural feel, really respecting the elements of nature around it. Can;t you just picture hunkering down with a good book and hot cup of coffee here?

Picture 1

Picture 7

Picture 3

Picture 8

Picture 9

Picture 6

And in a distant land, down an alleyway in the 14th Arrondissiment, is this charming townhouse full of interesting nooks, rooms and textures. I love the antique feeling of the finishes and the easy, breezy feel of the decor. Plus, it’s Paris for heavens sake!

PARISCARMIGNAC03.jpg

PARISCARMIGNAC29.jpg

PARISCARMIGNAC08.jpg

PARISCARMIGNAC31.jpg

PARISCARMIGNAC15.jpg

I reeeeeeeally wish I had woken up here.

PARISCARMIGNAC17.jpg

PARISCARMIGNAC24.jpg

21 Responses to “A Love of Opposites.”

1. Appletree says:

That townhome is really really incredible. The best I’ve seen. But that sink is ridiculous in my opinion.

2. That rock sink is really cool!

3. Amy Meier says:

You’re exactly right! Both homes are beautiful! They are different, however they both share great balance and proportion as well as fabulous building materials. They are equally as inspiring! Thank you for sharing.
    Best,
    Amy Meier

4. These spaces are stunning! Thanks for sharing on a nasty dreary Monday. Hope you had a great weekend of R + R with the family. xx

5. HannahJ says:

UGGGGHHH- Im drooling- literally- both so amazing- the first location is to die for- the rock sink is crazy! The style in the second is right up my alley!

6. Hilaire says:

The super modern home in Washington is way cool! The house seems to have so much character and life to it, nestled within the mountain rocks.

7. Such inspiration!!! I totally agree with you about loving the opposites. Like you, the single linking factor in what I love is a love for beautiful things- I could never pigeon hole myself into liking just one style because there are just too many stunning things to admire. Having said that, while I find the first home completely divine in every way, my heart is more with the second. I would die a happy death if I woke up each morning in that Paris perfection- absolutely perfect!

8. I love the Parisian townhouse. It’s stunning! But if I lived in Paris I would prefer living in a “authentic” french apartment. The first house is interesting, but I couldn’t live in a house with all that rock. It’s too “hard” for me, too cold. I need to feel warmth in my house… feel cozy.

But everything is very inspiring and I thank you for sharing something new and different.

By the way, I have a new blog and I am posting today about a very cool Australian online magazine. If you have some time, please, go take a look. I think you’d like it!

Thanks,

Luciane at HOMEBUNCH.COM

9. Sing says:

Wow fantastic spaces here. So restful and peaceful.

10. Two beautiful homes! I love the family room.
    Have a nice week.
    Teresa

11. Julie B says:

Those are both stunningly beautiful. They both look like they share an affinity for clean lines, natural materials, and soft fabrics (velvet sofas in both). Lovely!

12. can you imagine if you only appreciated one style? how boring! i love both of these homes too.

13. that first house in the rocks near the lake is amazing! so pretty.

14. So beautiful. I love the pink lounge. It seems out of place, but in a good way, like the center of focus.

15. ouch! i know merrill wright!!!! can you stand it erin? now i am jealous! shall i get us an invite? sah-weet!

16. Maggie Rose says:

I love them both (Woo hoo for the Puget Sound aka home)! The architecture of the Washington home is stunning but the interior of the French home is breathtaking – that chaise, that spiral staircase? Oh my goodness. I’ll take one of each, please ;)

17. yhbhs says:

both of those place are incredible! wow……

btw, fantastic blog you have here.

take a look at mine. i thin we have similar interest…

18. Annina says:

the Washington state home is magnificent, so modern yet blends perfectly with its surroundings. Great images!

19. Victoria says:

Tow very inspirational spaces! I always say that some combination of paradoxical elements within a space are what bring it to life. Thanks for sharing!

20. Vicki Archer says:

Both wonderful properties….An evening or two in either would do me….xv