Swedish Inspiration

A friend reminded me last week about Sweden being a design inspiration beyond what goodies they gift us at IKEA. Not that IKEA isn’t AMAZING. I friggin’ love IKEA and frequently can be found wandering the aisles while claimed by “Acute IKEA Blindness” (i.e. when you go to IKEA, seemingly black out from the overwhelming choices and then resume consciousness in your car amongst a pile of purchases you don’t need like $2 wine glasses, potato peelers, toilet scrubbers, bath mats, packs of 5 zillion tea lights, vases, random chairs, desk lamps and frozen meatballs.) But I digress. I think Swedish interiors are the perfect inspiration for the new year, being so crisp and bright with the air of a fresh start. Hardly formulaic though, you can decorate using inspiration from either a more modern manner or with antique, Gustavian inspired pieces. Or better yet, combine both!

sweden11

sweden22

sweden23

sweden9sweden17

sweden15

sweden27sweden26

sweden12

Get the look with these pieces (click picture for links):

img35mimg35t

img68mimg15m

img16mimg24m

22361_PE107241_S40093922_PE231531_S4

74019_PE190758_S435716_PE126584_S4

56123_PE161531_S456139_PE161548_S4

SD051_1SC322-800

UC003_1SB069-800

24 Responses to “Swedish Inspiration”

1. I love that Swedish design is fresh, clean, and timeless. Especially with grays being “all the rage” you can’t go wrong. Your suggested items are so on point! Great post.

2. Colette says:

I’m hoping the photo of the beautiful grey kitchen is a restaurant. Otherwise, HOLY WINE GLASSES!!!

Loving the all-white furniture- how aspirational!

3. Looove bentwood cafe chairs. One of my lifelong design goals is to have those surrounding my dining table.

4. Katie says:

WOW! That kitchen! Loooove it! And I love all the white with pops of bright color!

5. I love the lightness and brightness of Swedish design. I plan to incorporate some of that style into my home this year.

6. Kerri says:

Love the kitchen!

7. Ivy Lane says:

all the images have a quietness about them… yet so clean and refreshing…

8. Chic Coles says:

Swedish Inspired Interiors are some of my favorites. These images you chose are amazing! (Love IKEA too!)

9. those floating stairs are so cool! (and a little bit scary)

10. Michele says:

This comment is totally off topic – but I wanted to say a big thank you for the tip on the Frye-look-a-like boots at Target. I’m a newbie to your blog and while browsing the archives I came across your post awhile back. I promptly called my nearby Target stores and was able to reach a most helpful woman named Laurie in the Framingham store who patiently looked for them and found my size (which is rare in any shoe store!). I am now the proud owner of a pair of 5.5s and am so thrilled! Thanks for that and all the great style tips and your down to earth design inspiration! Best of luck with the new studio space!

11. How funny that you posted this today as I was just reading about IKEA’s introduction of limited addition Billy bookcases. Your post totally made me think about it again!

I am kind of feeling it.

12. i adore swedish design. always have. you can just breathe. i swear white has just got to be the new black. i love white. my new fav.

13. KG says:

what a fabulous collection of Swedish style! Especially loving that kitchen with the marble benchtops and the room eith the black and white seat cushions. All so sleek, yet inviting!

14. COB says:

My absolute favorite style this year, Swedish. Love every picture-want to live in every room.

15. Jessica says:

I can’t stop starting at the hanging bulb chandelier!

16. unitb612 says:

I’m not sure how I stumbled upon your page but I’m bookmarking and following it! Picture after picture of beautiful rooms! And your new years eve outfits were stunning as well-

17. I adore the kitchen with the golden accents. I’m hoping to bring home a thrift store dresser tomorrow that will need a bit of a makeover. That photo is now the direction in which it will be heading.

18. Clue me into IKEA. If I remember correctly they have very few stores in the US. And the thought of ordering was cost prohibitive. So where and how can I shop with them?
    Thanks,
    nancy

19. Sonia says:

While I love all these gorgeous white pics, I have an extremely Swedish sister-in-law whose house and homes in Sweden look nothing like this. She definitely favours light clean floors but has interesting bold pops of colour all over her house, even her couch is green!

20. Anna says:

Yes! I am Swedish and I love Swedish style!

21. kathy says:

I love this style! I wish I could use more white in my house, it is so crisp and refreshing!

22. Heather says:

Hi Erin,

I am trying to find some fabulous wallpaper to put in my dining room. I absolutely love the black on black floral wallpaper posted above (in your Swedish post). Can you let me know who the designer is? Love your blog!!! -Heather

23. Lisa Porter says:

Hi Erin,
    Happy New Year! I love so much of this post on white. Especially after all the color overload during the holidays, I’m ready for a fresh white start….thanks also for the great links…very helpful. Lisa