The Unequivocal Domino Replacement

It’s gonna cost you, but it’s so worth it. At $5.95 an issue in the US, Canadian House & Home is a bit pricier than most magazines (not quite as pricey as my other international favorite, living,etc. though). I’ve written about how awesome they are before, but the issue I picked up yesterday made me 100% confident is declaring this the official Domino replacement. Now, it does suck that some of the sources are only in Canada, but for inspirational purposes, there isn’t anything that comes closer to the DIY/high-low/creative and bold vibe that Domino gave us all. Just look at this spread of Style Director Michel Penney’s apartment- a total “on a budget” masterpiece!

This looks straight out of a Wes Anderson film:

Loving the turquoise/green/chocolate combo:

Yet again, I spy my french opaline glasses in the painted built in:

The kitchen slays me- he papered one wall in a bold, expensive paper, put grasscloth in the backs of the cabinets (he took the doors off) and added a buffet from Craigslist (quite a score) and vintage 70′s light fixture. And that window- yes, please.

Michael got this bold stripe wallpaper in the bedroom at Home Depot! I love it paired with a headboard made from old doors and the fussier lamp.

He said his bathroom scheme was an homage to Kate Spade.
Seriously, this guy’s wife is pretty lucky! :)

I could have scanned like 30 other pictures from this issue alone! It’s truly genius and so accessible for those of us on a budget, yet totally inspiring visually for any price point!

40 Responses to “The Unequivocal Domino Replacement”

1. paula says:

what a great find. I must check it out!

2. Stephanie Clayton says:

this is great! i am constantly missing domino, and wondered if there might be something comparable out there…
    and this magazine really looks quite similar. thanks for sharing this info!

3. Kwana says:

That’s a big declaration. Lovely images. I’m going to look for it.

4. Sarah says:

I couldn’t agree more. I picked up the May issue a few weeks ago and dog eared a lot of pages! Thanks for introducing it to me!

5. RLG says:

I subscribed to this a few months ago on your recommendation, and I love it, too. It’s fresh and inventive, not just glamor shots. I must have missed living, etc — I’ll check it out. Cheers!

6. Anne @ The City Sage says:

Mmm…this issue looks fab! I love when magazines provide budget options that don’t LOOK budget–and that wallpaper is a terrific example!

7. Lisa Murphy says:

What a wonderful post! So glad you're enjoying the magazine. Be sure to see the video tour of Michael Penney's apartment at http://www.houseandhome.com/videos/home-tours/video-editor-michael-penneys-budget-savvy-home

You can also follow House & Home on Twitter (@HouseandHome) to get updates on Michael Penney's blog (every Monday). Love your blog!

8. Michael Penney says:

Hi there, that's my apartment you're showing there! Thanks so much for all the feedback, and I'm glad you liked it. Our editor's assistant let me know you'd posted on it today, so thank you! I must say, this is a lovely and stylish blog – glad to have found it. If you want more cheap/chic ideas, check out my blog at houseandhome.com or http://www.houseandhome.com/blogs/affordable-style

Thanks again!

Michael Penney – Assistant Style Editor, House & Home Magazine

9. Paloma {La Dolce Vita} says:

These images are gorgeous! I need to sign up for the digital subscription.

10. Jennifer says:

this is good stuff! thanks for sharing.

11. bluehydrangea says:

Hey, feel free, go ahead and scan the other 30 pages. I am dying to see more! I’m off to subscribe…and to check out Michael Penney’s blog.

12. meg manion silliker says:

i was cleaning out the trunk of my car the other day {don’t ask!} and there, sitting under a pile of office furniture catalogs was an old issue of domino……..crumpled but well read, pages turned down everywhere all dog-eared. my heart sank. i miss that magazine….thanks for the replacement recommendation, i’m hoping our local fab mag store will have a copy.

13. Sweet Nothings says:

love this! I wonder if I can get it from Borders?

14. Rebecca@Harmony and Home says:

Thanks for the tip! I’m going to check out that issue next time I’m at the bookstore. I was just lamenting yesterday, while at the grocery store magazine section, how few shelter magazines there were. It’s so sad!

15. Red River Interiors: says:

Love the shots you posted I’ve seen prior issue but think I’ll get back to it…Thanks..Fay

16. Matt and Amanda W. says:

I have got to know where you got this “subway tile” used on the floor in pictures 7 and 8. Please let me know! Thanks ~ amanda

17. LaLa says:

This is great, but as a Canadian I know all too well that apart from their ‘cheap chic’ issue, House and Home is completely extravagant and not accessible to the average urban dweller.

Pretty pictures, but not realistic in most people’s worlds.

18. Ali Rockwell says:

I had just recently subscribed to Domino after years of mooching off of my roommates subscription, only to find out that it was no longer being published. I was so bummed. But this makes me so excited! I must have this magazine!

19. Laura Casey Interiors says:

Great to know, thanks. I will pick up an issue.

20. LD says:

What a great post! I too am a huge fan. I recently wrote a post about the "purple rooms photo gallery" on the Canadian H & H web site. I love turning to them for inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

21. Jessica says:

i love that black “great value” shelf in the bathroom. i need somthing like that because we only have one bathroom and no storage. i’m going to try find that and the magazine!

22. Courtney says:

Love that shelf in the bathroom. Must find one! Will have to run out and buy this immediately. Thanks

23. Laurie says:

I’ve subscribed to House and Home for years! Its my fave mag.

24. fric and frac says:

Love the stripes in the bathroom and the wallpaper in the kitchen! Beautiful!

25. Mimi says:

Great find! So glad you found a replacement or shall I say something similar, because I am still feeling kinda lost without Domino…I love that it’s budget conscious too..Nice images!

26. Down Pillow says:

I’ve never taken a look at this magazine – I’ll have to check it out :)

27. Elements of Style says:

Thanks for stopping in Michael! Honored to have you!

28. Chessa! says:

hmmmm….I think you’re right! Now I need to find it! thanks for sharing:) I was actually reading back issues from around this time last year. so sad…I miss it.

29. Justine says:

I signed up for the digital version a little while ago and have also been devouring a lot of the images. And have already shown a few of those images to clients. They love them too! Thanks for the introduction :)

30. kate (pm) says:

This was a particularly good issue, wasn't it? That says a lot b/c I seem to love each issue. I enjoyed the cover story. How nice Michael Penney saw this post, too!

31. Anonymous says:

Hi there! Yes, Canadian House and Home is great…their website is awesome too. Another one to check out is Style at Home (I think it's their rival mag in Canada)but not sure if you can buy it in the states (I have a subscription). Anyway, one of their editors (Samantha Pynn) now has a show of her own called Pure Style on HGTV…lots of great decorating talent coming out of Canada..I'm so proud and happy that we're getting to be known for more than being the "clingy" neighbour to the north.

Cheers, Jackie

32. Wanderluster says:

As a Canadian, I'm so happy you're supporting 'one of our own'. I've subscribed to H&H magazine for about 10 years now and constantly refer to my library of issues for inspiration. But I'll have to agree with LaLa's comment… the majority of homes featured are high end and not really in the DIY/cheap chic vein. But the magazine has a new editor so who knows, they may be moving more in that direction.

33. Lori W says:

I love these photos and will check out subscribing. Metro Home and Elle Decor haven’t quite filled the Domino-shaped hole in my heart!

Kudos on the Jezebel mention too! Two of my favorite blogs, linked!

34. RAZ says:

FYI – most of those “only in Canada” sources are almost definitely available in the States. Having worked for a Canadian decor mag in the past, it was always a matter of getting around that “where will our readers find this?” issue.

35. Lester and Eliza productions says:

Finally, a Canadian magazine getting some recognition south of the border! Te Canadian Magazine Fund will be so proud!

36. Paris Hotel Boutique says:

Thanks for the tip Erin! I'm definitely going to pick up this mag. Looks great! I used to complain about too many stacks of magazines to read, and now without Domino, House & Garden, etc. etc, I'm having magazine withdrawal!

37. Allison aka HaselBride says:

I keep looking for this magazine on newsstands, but can’t find it! I think I’m going to have to give in and order an subscription even though it is a bit much! I need a somewhat domino fix and no American magazines are doing it fully yet.

Oh and I have been loving Better Homes and Gardens and Country Living as well lately, but they have such small sections devoted to interiors and they are pretty classic. It is not enough!

38. Edwina- HouseAHolic says:

Check out Real Living Magazine from Australia too, affordable gorgeousness!

39. Sam says:

I love Canadian H&H, but my favorite is Style at Home, also Canadian, especially for budget options and DIY style. Check it out http://www.styleathome.com

40. Donna says:

I totally agree…I came across this magazine about a week ago an "JOY" is not the word! I have cried over the loss of Domino and Cottage Living – my top two picks!