FASHION FRIDAY: ELEMENTS OF STYLE AND THE MYSTERY OF THE PERFECT BROWN BOOTS.

Sounds like an enticing Nancy Drew type mystery novel, doesn’t it?
Well, I was off babysitting for my niece and nephew (they aren’t technically, but I digress) and after getting their little restless bodies into bed and stories read I sat down to look at some catalogs sitting on the coffee table. I love going to other people’s homes and seeing what array of catalogs they get- I admit it, I love catalogs.
There was Peruvian Connection. I think this was the catalog my mom used to get when I was little that always put a tiny piece of woven alpaca wool in it to show you how soft it was. I thought it was truly the end all be all of cool things, as did my mom, who still to this day wants a pet Alpaca llama. Anyways, I couldn’t believe it was still around! Having learned that you can find amazing things in the strangest of retailers, I took a peek.

And there they were.

The PERFECT pair of high brown leather boots. I have been searching high and low for years on end for them, and there they were in the friggin’ Peruvian Connection.
Let me tell you what defines the perfect brown boots- for me, at least: a very tall and narrow calf (I won’t complain, I have long, skinny calves and most boots these days look like Wellies on me), a heel that is neither stiletto nor chunky, a medium brown leather that can look dressy or casual and a tiny bit of detail, but not so much that it’ll look trendy and a style that can be worn with a dress or over jeans.
In other words, these boots were made as if to my exact specifications
On every other page, a lithe model was sporting these beauties and I flipped frantically to find where they were listed.
No where.
I went on-line, sure that they would be there.
No where.
Can I call Peruvian Connection and ask them where the boots are from? Why would a clothing retailer feature such gorgeous boots over and over and not sell them? The mystery continues, but these bad boys will be on my feet by fall- mark my words.

Also, from the “Who Knew?” files- a couple cute things I found in the Peruvian Connection catalog!

17 Responses to “Fashion Friday: Elements of Style and the Mystery of the Perfect Brown Boots.”

1. Tian says:

I really admire your blog and have been reading for some time. Good luck with the boots! Love them.

2. HHL says:

I think everyone’s mother wants a llama, including mine. She always used to sing that Seseame Street song “Me and my Llama”. It’s about a llama going to the dentist. Very kooky – just like my mother I guess!

3. Courtney says:

WOW!! Totally loving the scarf, earrings, and the boots! Great finds…

4. Elements of Style says:

I TOTALLY remember that song HHL!
    My parents live near a llama farm so she goes there to visit them, but has yet to buy her own.

5. Barchbo says:

I. Love. Those. Boots.

Why do companies do things like that?! AND, why don’t all footwear designers make that pair of boots – they are perfect. Maybe because we would never buy any other boots again.

6. Lauren says:

Those ARE the perfect boots!

7. Kate says:

OMG! This was my grandmother’s favorite company! We used to get a sweater from them every year for Christmas. Too funny!

8. Paloma says:

Those scarves and earrings are very pretty. Love the boots!

9. Julie says:

Please report back when you find out where to buy these. I agree they are perfect!

10. Anonymous says:

I found a pair just like these in Italy…the lady said they were a European size 7 and I didn’t care if my feet would become malformed if I wore them because I HAD to have them. Thankfully they fit and I will have them forever…the only hitch with these is that there is only a zipper in the middle not all the way up so i have to pull them on. Every year I think this will be the year they won’t pull up and I will be devastated. Leigh…South Carolina

11. pointseast says:

OMG –Yes, yes, YES!!! I went looking for them, too! I hope you find them and let us (me) know where they’re from!!! Hurry, HURRY! Oh, and make sure they’re not, like, $4,000 or something.

12. bandelle says:

Love those boots too. Please let us all know :) It’s hard to think about the fall when it’s so hot outside but they really would be the perfect fall/winter boots.

Kylie

13. Anonymous says:

I contacted Peruvian Collection's customer service. The boots shown in the photo with the skirt are by Barbara Bui. I didn't do a search for those particular boots but I found some at Neiman's. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod42430001&parentId=cat16410733&masterId=cat000199&index=0&cmCat=cat000000cat000141cat000149cat000199cat16410733
    If you email Peruvian's customer service from their website and reference the catalog season, page number and model, they will tell you who makes the boot. HTH

14. Elements of Style says:

Weird. I did e-mail them and they told me Zanotti!

15. Erik - Director of Online Marketing for Peruvian Connection says:

I must admit that our customers often ask us why we don’t carry the boots or shoes that we feature in the catalog or on the website. I think the simple answer is that we want to specialize in great clothing: dresses, skirts, sweaters, and accessories.

However, maybe there is a way we can link back to the source of those great shoes or boots.

Erik

16. Candice says:

I got a pair of Steve Madden boots that are almost identical to those last season…you may want to check with them! Good luck!

17. momma says:

No heels but I’ve heard good things about these, from my friends back home that are much thinner than me
    even with the dollar in the toilet they’re much cheaper ;0)